CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Rehband Knee Sleeve Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ohlms View Post
If you're interested in them simply staying on your legs, go with whatever size you fall into per the measurements. If you want a much tighter fit, potentially to the point where you're not able to wear them for a full session without beginning to cut off circulation, step it one size down as they recommend.

I have some undetermined issues with my left knee and wanted more compression, so I went down a size with the blue Rehbands. They still fit very well, but after about an hour my left calf begins to lose a little sensation due to the tightness. Not an issue, as I just pull it down for a while between sets and it's all good.
I definitely want more compression so the size smaller will hopefully be good. I workout after work (in like 6 hours) so I'll see how it goes then. Have you gotten your knee checked out and does it hurt? Does the sleeve help you manage the problem with your knee?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Scott Ohlms

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I definitely want more compression so the size smaller will hopefully be good. I workout after work (in like 6 hours) so I'll see how it goes then. Have you gotten your knee checked out and does it hurt? Does the sleeve help you manage the problem with your knee?
My knee hasn't been scoped or anything yet because the instability in it is so hit and miss and hasn't become consistent enough for me to merit missing lots of time from my job (firefighter). Based on the symptoms I've had, it most closely matches up with a slight meniscus tear/flap, but as with most issues concerning the knee, you never know until they get in there and look at it.

The sleeve most definitely helps me with this issue, especially when lifting. 315+ for moderate reps on squats feel perfect and solid, but my knee will feel odd sitting at the dinner table for no reason.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
My knee hasn't been scoped or anything yet because the instability in it is so hit and miss and hasn't become consistent enough for me to merit missing lots of time from my job (firefighter). Based on the symptoms I've had, it most closely matches up with a slight meniscus tear/flap, but as with most issues concerning the knee, you never know until they get in there and look at it.

The sleeve most definitely helps me with this issue, especially when lifting. 315+ for moderate reps on squats feel perfect and solid, but my knee will feel odd sitting at the dinner table for no reason.
Ah ok. Wouldn't getting an MRI show if you have a minis is tear/flap? Scoping sounds like something they would do for surgery.

Good to hear it helps. My knee bugs me at random times throughout the day but not when I squat, it's weird. I've had an MRI confirm I have patellar tendinosis so hopefully the sleeves help.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Scott Ohlms

Profile:

Quote:
Ah ok. Wouldn't getting an MRI show if you have a minis is tear/flap? Scoping sounds like something they would do for surgery.

Good to hear it helps. My knee bugs me at random times throughout the day but not when I squat, it's weird. I've had an MRI confirm I have patellar tendinosis so hopefully the sleeves help.
You're correct. Wrong terminology on my part.

As an aside regarding your patellar tendon issues, I've had some similar issues with mine in the past and warming up with some floss bands alleviated the issue entirely. Combining this with putting on the sleeves afterward before work sets began solved all issues regarding the patellar tendon.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
You're correct. Wrong terminology on my part.

As an aside regarding your patellar tendon issues, I've had some similar issues with mine in the past and warming up with some floss bands alleviated the issue entirely. Combining this with putting on the sleeves afterward before work sets began solved all issues regarding the patellar tendon.
Ok, no problem. By floss bands, do you mean the voodoo ones from K Star's video where you wrap it around your knee and squat with them? That would be awesome if I could resolve this, it has been an on and off problem for awhile now.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Scott Ohlms

Profile:

Quote:
Ok, no problem. By floss bands, do you mean the voodoo ones from K Star's video where you wrap it around your knee and squat with them? That would be awesome if I could resolve this, it has been an on and off problem for awhile now.
Those would be the ones. You wonder how much good a simple giant rubberband could do, but after seeing them solve the tendon issues I had on both the insides and outsides of BOTH elbows in a matter of a couple weeks, I thought I'd give my knee a shot at it. Went from having a chronically sore front of my knee to squatting pain free.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Those would be the ones. You wonder how much good a simple giant rubberband could do, but after seeing them solve the tendon issues I had on both the insides and outsides of BOTH elbows in a matter of a couple weeks, I thought I'd give my knee a shot at it. Went from having a chronically sore front of my knee to squatting pain free.
That's great to hear! Did you go with the 7' or 28'? The rogue site says 7' is good for individuals but I just want to make sure. When you used it for your knee did you do it how K Star did it when he had Matt Chan do it in a video or is there a different way to do it?

I used the rehband knee sleeves for front squats and Bulgarian split squats tonight and my knee felt awesome! I should have bought these when I first had knee issues, my knee was really warm the whole time and didn't feel weird at all; best investment for my knees I've made so far.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
That's great to hear! Did you go with the 7' or 28'? The rogue site says 7' is good for individuals but I just want to make sure. When you used it for your knee did you do it how K Star did it when he had Matt Chan do it in a video or is there a different way to do it?

I used the rehband knee sleeves for front squats and Bulgarian split squats tonight and my knee felt awesome! I should have bought these when I first had knee issues, my knee was really warm the whole time and didn't feel weird at all; best investment for my knees I've made so far.
I have a pair of the 7' from Rogue and I use them frequently. Depending on your taste, you can tailor the "tightness" to your liking. I've done it the way Chan did it, I've done just the quad, just the calf, etc.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Scott Ohlms

Profile:

Quote:

I got the pair of 7' rolls. The 28' tends to be for the affiliates that want to make their own. I did it just like the Chan video, but any wrap in that manner works. He has some YouTube videos that display the technique.

Glad to hear the Rehbands worked well for you! I wished I'd gotten mine sooner too!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
I got the pair of 7' rolls. The 28' tends to be for the affiliates that want to make their own. I did it just like the Chan video, but any wrap in that manner works. He has some YouTube videos that display the technique.

Glad to hear the Rehbands worked well for you! I wished I'd gotten mine sooner too!
Good to know, thanks for the info, I'll get the 7' rolls. At least we have them now! My squats felt so much better, can't believe how much of a difference they made.