CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
David M Welton

Profile:
Going in for my mri!

I'm finally getting my mri on my lower back that I hurt at work six months ago. I only wish I got this mri a long time ago because I have been in the dark of what my injury actually is. My pain level is only a four now when a few months ago it was a six to an eight. If the mri comes back normal what else could be causing my pain? I have pain in my lower left side of my back and it goes down my left leg. Will an mri show pinched nerves? Thanks!

Last edited by David M Welton; 02-08-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
David M Welton

Profile:
Re: Going in for my mri!

Another question I have is will they only check out my lower back or do they look at all of the spine? I only ask because I have pain in my mid spine sometimes... Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Megan Zetter

Profile:

They typically image the area that was requested to be imaged.

The MRI can show if there is impingement on a nerve.

Even if your MRI comes back showing something abnormal that does not mean that that is the reason for your pain. Studies have shown that upwards of 80% of people have bulging discs that were an incidental finding when doing an MRI study for something completely unrelated.

The fact that you are completely in the dark as to what your injury is after four months suggests to me that your healthcare providers either don't know what is going on with you, (back pain is not rocket science though), they have not communicated anything to you, or they are not providing you adequate care.

What have you been doing the past few months to help the pain decrease?

From you brief description of your symptoms it sounds like there may be some nerve involvement. However, because it is getting better, MRI is not really warranted at this time ...

Any PT? Rehab? What are you doing?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
David M Welton

Profile:

I work in law enforcement and I fell down while working on Aug. 20th. I did 6 weeks of physical therapy and finished that in early October. Since then I have used an h-wave machine that my workmens comp let me take home and stretching. I have been on and off work for six months. If I tell them that I have pain mid back will they look at it since Im already there? I mean its only a two inches above my lower back..
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Well if this a workers comp thing and they are ordering the MRI. You can't deviate from what they are doing. If you choose to deviate from their care standards, then you risk the works claim being denied. Meaning, if you are forced to leave your job because of the injury, you may not be able to get disability pay from your employer, or if you need surgery, there will be a serious finger pointing as to who foots the bill... Workers comp, medical ins.... Or you since the claim was denied. Or if you cannot do your job anymore, and your not protected by workers comp, your employer can terminate you on the premise of not being able to perform within your job description. If your protected, then your employer has to either find you a job that you can do or retrain you.

Iam not going to speculate what is the source of your problems, or how to correct it. ... Sorry it's workers comp.
What you could try, is ask your workers comp md, to script you therapeutic massage to break up some of muscular tension that you maybe having to improve medication function. But they have to sign off on it. If not , don't go out an do it on your own. Seriously, don't jack around with it.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
David M Welton

Profile:

I have done everything my workmens comp has told me to do. Where it hurts mid spine was from my fall. I was just trying to see if anyone knew how far up the mri will go since it said lower back... Thanks for your help!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

It's how ever the md wrote it. If was ordered l spine.. Then that is.
Entire spinal MRI could run you a good 45-50 minutes of lying in the scanner, depending on the generation of the scanner.
Long time to be perfectly still.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
David M Welton

Profile:

GOT MY RESULTS... NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING WHAT IT MEANS...

There is a thickening of the ligamentum flavum which measures 3 mm in thickness on both sides at the l4-l5 level. there is a mild hypertrophy of the facet joints at the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels.

There is a partially imaged 4.3 cm T1 dark, T2 bright lobulared lesion in the right iliac bone adjacent to the right sacroiliac joint. No pathologic fracture or soft tissue component is seen from the images obtained, This lesion was not fully imaged in this study.

no disk herniation.

Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints at the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels.

moderate dextroscoliosis of the mid lumbar spine with a cobb angle of 19 degrees

Im a 28 old male.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Welton View Post
GOT MY RESULTS... NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING WHAT IT MEANS...

There is a thickening of the ligamentum flavum which measures 3 mm in thickness on both sides at the l4-l5 level. there is a mild hypertrophy of the facet joints at the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels.

There is a partially imaged 4.3 cm T1 dark, T2 bright lobulared lesion in the right iliac bone adjacent to the right sacroiliac joint. No pathologic fracture or soft tissue component is seen from the images obtained, This lesion was not fully imaged in this study.

no disk herniation.

Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints at the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels.

moderate dextroscoliosis of the mid lumbar spine with a cobb angle of 19 degrees

Im a 28 old male.
In English:

You have no disc issues, therefore no disc is compressing a nerve, nor does the report suggest that anything is compressing or irritating a nerve.

The hypertrophy, which is mild, just means there is some extra growth between the L4 thru S1 joints. This is a VERY common area to see this sort of thing. At this points it's mild, but even if it were moderate, I would not be concerned. The ligamentum flavum is simply a ligament that holds each vertebra to one another. Hypertrophy of that is very common too.

The dextroscoliosis, means you have a cure in your low back that goes to the right -- again, very common. Th cobb angle is just the measurement of the degree of curvature.

Why you have a lumbar scoliosis might be worth investigating. My first thought would be a leg length difference.

Didn't anyone discuss the MRI with you?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Be sure to follow up with person who ordered MRI