CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
David M Welton

Profile:
Re: Physical therapy/Sciatic nerve

Tomorrow is my last day of pt and I don't feel that much better then I did before I started. I have good days where the pain is at a 2 and my bad days the pain gets to 6. I have bad days maybe 2-3 times a week. I have gone to the pt 11 times now and on Tues they just now told me I also have pulled/torn muscle in my back. I have my docs apt on Monday to go back to work on light duty. Should I ask for more physical therapy or just go on light duty and hope it heals within the month im going to be on light duty? Just really mad that it has been two months and I still have pain. Thanks...
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Ronald Kim

Profile:

David, within the military and law enforcement world, especially with what you do, you know you're always on the go. I've been dealing with this disc issue for almost a year now, tingling and numbness have been down my leg and in my foot since June, and I've done 3 injections w/ little success. The most recent injection has helped a lot more than the others, as I did a L5 nerve root block injection. I know it's Navy medicine, but I swear the military is getting a little better at doing things as everything went smooth for me (nerve racking for sure). I'm in PT right now, one who does mobilizations and manipulations after warming up with a swim or bike, and good stretching. No issues with the manipulations. Some days at work I do sometimes feel like my disc is about to explode out of my back sometimes. I have been swimming a lot lately for exercise, and it's been helping, along with the one on one stretching and core exercises. My leg/foot does feel a little weak from time to time. I've been contemplating getting back in to McKenzie to help out my process, but I finally gave in this month and went on light duty. I met with the ortho today for a follow up and I told him I want to truly exhaust everything before surgery. Of course I get the jokes in my office, but what's more important, thin skin or your back? I may be on light duty for the next 6 months but I plan on getting my back strong again. Good luck man.

Last edited by Ronald Kim; 10-17-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
David M Welton

Profile:

I went back to the doc on Monday and asked for my mri. I was told no because I told them I did not want to have surgery. The doc told me he was 100% sure I had a Herniated Disk and it should heal within a year... What do you guys think of this? I thought it was very odd...
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #24
Lyle Gordon

Profile:

It sounds like you're getting the run around. I had the same issue in the army. I messed my back up pretty bad when I was deployed and the Doc literaly said, "You're just broken now." Turned out after seeking treatment outside the military I had two compressed discs and sciatic nerve damage. I brought this to my PA and was told they could do nothing for me because I went to a civilian doctor. Long story short, after I got out I had to duke it out with the VA but I finally got them to start me on treatment. If they're anything like the army or the VA you'll have to fight it out. From what it sounds like you need an MRI but they don't want to fork over the money. Keep on them about it and eventually they'll cave in.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

MRI's aren't the end all be all and they cost more than they are worth to a knowledgeable professional in many cases. They often confirm more than they illuminate. If there are still problems at this point, it sure seems like it would be high time for one now.

My wife ran into this issue with her worker's comp as well. The fact is, the abuse that does occur ruins it for individuals who aren't abusing. And referencing the VA, Brian if you are reading this are you referencing the incentive of the VA to put people on disability and not reduce disability levels?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
MRI's aren't the end all be all and they cost more than they are worth to a knowledgeable professional in many cases. They often confirm more than they illuminate. If there are still problems at this point, it sure seems like it would be high time for one now.

My wife ran into this issue with her worker's comp as well. The fact is, the abuse that does occur ruins it for individuals who aren't abusing. And referencing the VA, Brian if you are reading this are you referencing the incentive of the VA to put people on disability and not reduce disability levels?
Was this a question to me? If so, Bill, could you show me where I said that, or what you're referring to? I'm unsure of the question.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #27
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

No Brian i wasn't implying you said that. I said it because is something that seems to be an issue. I was asking clarification on what you meant about the VA. I wasn't trying to offend or back you into a corner.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #28
Brian Strump

Profile:

It wasn't being sarcastic, and not sure of what you were asking. So I'm not offended...yet
I really do not remember what was said about the VA. Clarification on what about the VA? I'm confused.

I look over this thread, but only saw mention of Worker's Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
No Brian i wasn't implying you said that. I said it because is something that seems to be an issue. I was asking clarification on what you meant about the VA. I wasn't trying to offend or back you into a corner.

Last edited by Brian Strump; 03-02-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #29
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

You are not getting an MRI because it's a Workers Comp case....and that is one of the biggest scams in each state. It's almost as bad as the VA hospitals.

That was it. I suppose you meant quality? I am just curious. I hear a lot of bad press but have had no issues myself. I suppose I would like to know what to safe guard against.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
Sara Ochsner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Unless you have some motor deficit, or major sensory issues we wouldn't recommend an MRI until 4-5 treatments.

You are not getting an MRI because it's a Workers Comp case....and that is one of the biggest scams in each state. It's almost as bad as the VA hospitals.
Brian, I think this is what Bill is referring to.