CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Justin Keane

Profile:
Nighttime Eating/Sleep

First post--whoo hoo! Train out of Crossfit Boston w/Neal, Jon, Steve, and EC.

So, I just started zoning about a month ago, not at 100% strict adherence yet but getting there. Usually eat dinner around 6 and am at some stage of falling asleep by 8 or 8:30. This last month my sleep's been pretty broken: waking up 3-4 times between bedtime and 2 or 3 AM feeling pretty hungry (which results in rapid depletion of our Balance Bar cabinet).

Any suggestions for something I could have right before bed to stave off until the morning? And if it makes my sleep more restful, all the better.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
W. Geoffrey Miller

Profile:
Re: Nighttime Eating/Sleep

I always try to knock down some yogurt and cottage cheese before bed...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  

For me, I find that a one block snack of any type, literally RIGHT before bed, as in: I swallow then my head hits the pillow, keeps me feeling great through the night.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Ann Castro

Profile:

I dare not eat before bed...isn't better to not have anything 4 hours prior to bedtime?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Castro View Post
I dare not eat before bed...isn't better to not have anything 4 hours prior to bedtime?
Ann, My understanding is that eating a one block snack just prior too bed helps to keep you in the zone throughout the night so im not sure that not eating prior to bed applies to zoners. I just started zoning myself so I am not too knowledgeable but I think it has something to do with hormonal balance and blood sugar or something. Also not really supposed to go more than 5 hours without eating as that will move you further away from the zone so I always eat 4 oz of yogurt just before I rack out and another upon awakening to get me through PT and up until my 5 block breakfast.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Personally I try my best to avoid any food after 8pm as I remember reading on Art DeVaney's site that food before bed will reduce your GH response to deep sleep and probably impair your deep REM sleep, which is when GH is released.
Unless you are desperately trying to gain weight, I can't see how food in your stomach while you are sleeping would be a good thing.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I agree with Steve. Lately, I've been following more of a Paleo-EF model and have felt a lot better than I did on Zone actually (Well, I WAS following the model. Been feeling sorry for myself since tearing up my ankle last week).

However, if you must eat before bed, make sure that it's a snack, rather than a meal so you don't load your gut down, but make sure your carb sources are low density (spinach and cucumber for example) That'll slow the rate of digestion down and keep you full.

Oh, and ditch the balance bars. They make me feel full for about a half hour, and then I'm raiding the fridge.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

My mom used to always say that eating right before bed made her really hungry the next morning. But I found that it's just the opposite for me (as I would naturally think). I used to eat dinner and then not eat again until the next morning; I'd wake up starving and want to scarf down anything in sigh. Now, I have a zone snack about an hour or two before I go to bed. I wake up in the morning feeling refreshed, and never starving.

So I'd recommend a one block snack, about an hour or two before bed, for sure.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:

You might be dehydrated, try drinking more water to see if it helps, you'll know you drank too much if you need to get up to pee

if you are concernced about the amount of calories / blocks, you can try having some over the counter fiber in the evening which will help too.

Depending on my goals, I eat nothing right before bed or a slow releasing casein type protien like Pro-bolic SR. It's high molecular weight so will break down for up to 12 hours.

I also take a Night Time Recovery formula every night to aid in getting into REM sleep faster.

In terms of blunting GH response, I think if the carb content of the last meal is low enough, you won't suppress GH too much, plus, if your nutrition is inadequate anyway, GH won't help as much anyway
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #10
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mohamedali View Post
You might be dehydrated, try drinking more water to see if it helps, you'll know you drank too much if you need to get up to pee

if you are concernced about the amount of calories / blocks, you can try having some over the counter fiber in the evening which will help too.

Depending on my goals, I eat nothing right before bed or a slow releasing casein type protien like Pro-bolic SR. It's high molecular weight so will break down for up to 12 hours.

I also take a Night Time Recovery formula every night to aid in getting into REM sleep faster.

In terms of blunting GH response, I think if the carb content of the last meal is low enough, you won't suppress GH too much, plus, if your nutrition is inadequate anyway, GH won't help as much anyway
That's pretty much what I do. 20oz water and .5 to 1 cup C. Cheese (my casein type protien) with a tbsp almonds or pecans an hour or so before bed. I also do the ice cream thing 2-3 times a week (see Breyer's thread)