CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Matt Westerberg

Profile:
Want to add size. Morning weightlifting to program?

hello -

I am relatively new to Cross-Fit. I have been working out 5x per week for about 3 months. I have gone from 6'2"at 155 to about 165.
I know that Cross-Fit is more oriented towards conditioning than size, but I'd really like to get up to around 185 or so.
Any thoughts on what would happen if I added a morning weightlifting routine? I was thinking 3 or 4 mornings each week, with my Cross-Fit classes at night.
Yes. i know form follows function, but...everybody needs a goal and that one is mine.

Matt
Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: Want to add size. Morning weightlifting to program?

When you say weightlifting are you talking true weightlifting? (oly lifting) or just strength training in general?

I definitely feel that if you want to get bigger you need a) more calories then what typical xfit recommends and b) more strength biased work, and possibly shorten up the metcons.

I would seriously look into Crossfit Football.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Matt Westerberg

Profile:

I would think a combination of weight training (free weights), with a few machines (cable cross-over). I have a couple of books on training (sort of cheesy Fitness for the Stars type reads) that should get me started at least.
At my current height and weight, I think I'd be snapped like a twig in football. I wouldn't mind trying. not sure I have seen t here in NC. Most Cross-Fitters seem more interested in jiu-jitsu/muay thai. I did martial arts years ago (aikido and hsing-i), but not interested any more.
Thanks for ht ereply!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Westerberg View Post
I would think a combination of weight training (free weights), with a few machines (cable cross-over). I have a couple of books on training (sort of cheesy Fitness for the Stars type reads) that should get me started at least.
At my current height and weight, I think I'd be snapped like a twig in football. I wouldn't mind trying. not sure I have seen t here in NC. Most Cross-Fitters seem more interested in jiu-jitsu/muay thai. I did martial arts years ago (aikido and hsing-i), but not interested any more.
Thanks for ht ereply!
He was referring to following http://www.crossfitfootball.com/ and rightly so. It has a strength portion on the right side of the page you do first, then a wod in the centre you do. The wods are always short and powerful. This is what makes you big, fast, strong and awesome.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Matt Westerberg

Profile:

Thanks! Sheesh....I honestly had a vision of a CrossFit football league.

Hmmm...I notice it is arranged for a in/season off season (with now being in season). What do I do since I have no real season?

At some point, I may start playing sports in a league, but don't see it at the moment.

Looking forward to future awesome-ness.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Have a look through the New to CFFB / FAQ sections. In there it mentions offseason for those either in offseason or not playing a sport.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Ben Joven

Profile:

60 % of the game is diet. Eat more meat, protein, only eat carbs post workout and you will get 185#.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Matt Westerberg

Profile:

Is there a good diet site or book you could recommend? I doubt I have ever eaten a dinner, and maybe never a lunch, that did not have rice, bread or potatoes (which I think have a lot of carbs).
Thnaks for your time, guys. i really do appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Westerberg View Post
Is there a good diet site or book you could recommend? I doubt I have ever eaten a dinner, and maybe never a lunch, that did not have rice, bread or potatoes (which I think have a lot of carbs).
Thnaks for your time, guys. i really do appreciate it.
There's a 'Nutrition' link on the website.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I disagree about carbs only post workout, when trying to bulk up is when you will have more carbs then when you are trying to maintain or lean out. So I would see keep carbs in all meals before 5pm, but no more then say 50-80g per meal.

But definitely DO: have healthy fats at each meal, by way of consumption of nuts (almonds are my fav), olive oil, macadamia nut oil, beef and fish.

DO also consume 1g per pound of bodyweight for protein.

DO NOT skip breakfast

DO eat more then 3 times a day to get all those calories in and not feel uber bloated.