CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Starting last year I've been dealing on and off with shin splints, and honestly, I want to get them gone. They'll die away for a few months, then come back.

I'm looking into the POSE method of running, and was wondering if it would do me more harm than good?

Also, from what I've read they advocate the use of a thin soled shoes. Again, harm or help?

Your advice is appreciated,
-Mike
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
John Schneider

Profile:
I just started running and lifting with Vibram Five Finger shoes and it is the most comfprtable thing ever. I haven't had any pain in my knees which is my normal trouble area. I have been more sore in the lower calfs though as I am engaging muscles in my running that I never had before.

We'll see how it goes in the long run, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Go for a flatter shoe like Adidas Sambas. You don't want a running shoe with lots of padding.

POSE will make your calves very sore as your body gets used to it, but because you won't be heel striking, it should eliminate shin splint problems. At least that is what I experienced.

If you have any questions on POSE form, etc. I would recommend a search of these forums - several great discussions took place back when this was first introduced to CFers.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
James Goodell

Profile:
POSE should help, and it's just about impossible to do correctly with thick soled shoes - you have to get something with minimal material between your foot and the ground.

Search the archives for lots of good info, and don't try to keep your mileage up during the transition. Whatever mileage you're putting in as a heel-striker now is more than you'll be able to start POSE running with - it'll take time to build back up (without devastating your calves), but it'll be worth it when you get there. I can't testify to shin splints, but my plantar fascitis is much better.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Michael Lynn

Profile:
This summer I'm going to be running during field training, and I'm going to be taking 1.5 mile tests and running pretty often.

How long does it take to get used to POSE running? Maybe I'll do a trasition where I mix the two so my times don't plummet.

-Mike
Old 03-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Hi Michael,

the transition to POSE running will probably take some months.

Here is a recent thread on the same topic: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/35259.html.

I would especially recommend the Gordon Pirie book - less technical than the POSE stuff, motivating read, and best of all - it is free.

Good luck,

Christian
Old 03-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
Scott Arnold

Profile:
The POSE method is definitely easier on the body, but I recommend watching the DVD and mastering some of the drills before trying it. Get it out of your head that staying off your heels means running on your toes. The POSE method teaches you to run on the balls of your feet. I sort of missed that bit of info on my first read and was rewarded with a torn calf muscle. Be patient. It's well worth it.

Scott
Old 03-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Michael - a great pre-run warm up to really help shin splints from coming your way is to tap your foot really, really fast as if you were a imitating a hummingbird heart rate with a base drum. You will feel in just a few seconds that the muscles around your shin area start to warm up and a few seconds after that your tempo will slow to a human hear rate and soon after that a sloth. Switch feet and start over. Do this twice before you run and I'll bet your shins feel better.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Thanks Eugene, I appreciate the advice. I just need to make it through field training, then I can go back to training how I want.

If I were to start POSE, what should I buy to help me as far as books or dvds etc?

-Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Jason Steele

Profile:
download of Pirie's book is free...