CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
Colin McNulty

Profile:
I've been doing the warmup the last 2 days (actually it's more of a work out at the moment!) in the living room, and as such have got my kid involved, she's 5.

She enjoys joining in, and rolls about in fits of laughter everytime she falls over trying to do a squat say. Funnily enough, she's already getting competative, e.g. when I say "10, that's enough", she's starting doing 11 or 12, just cos she can.

I think I'm happy for her to do the weightless stuff: squats, situps, pushups etc. But I'm sure I remember reading somewhere once, that kids shouldn't do any training with weights till they're at least 12, as their bones are rather bendable till then, and life long damage can occur.

I guess I'm just asking what the considered wisdom is for Crossfit and kids?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
George Brothers

Profile:
go to the brandx martial arts website, find the link on the main xfit page under affiliates. they have a program for kids, an area of their site for that and i think a newsletter.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
William Winger

Profile:
In addition to BrandX's scaled workouts, they run CrossFitKids, so it may be more appropriate to check them out there:

http://crossfitkids.typepad.com/

[crossfitkids.com is a redirect to their blog on typepad.]

EDIT: I'm guessing she's already doing kids soccer or some other active sport, but you might consider a gymnastics class, something I'm wishing now I'd had as a kid.

(Message edited by dubdub on October 08, 2006)
Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Colin,
There is an article in our CrossFit Kids Magazines (February 2006) regarding kids and weightlifting. It may be time for us to expand that article and reissue it.
In our research we found plenty of people saying that weights were harmful to kids, and absolutetly no evidence to support their statement. On the other hand we found plenty of evidence that it is beneficial (CF Kids Magazine March 2006).
Benifits include:
Increased muscular strength and endurance
Protection of joints
Stronger bones
Improved performance in other sports
In fact all the benefits other testosterone challenged groups do.
That having been said, kids benefit enormously from simply learning the movements correctly. There is no reason to overload them with weights. PVC pipes, light dumbbells and medicine balls are used consistently in our program. Our kids respond to Crossfit in the same way that the adults do, by outperforming their peers on almost every fitness standard.

Here are a couple of sample workout, Fran and a hill WOD with scaled weights:

http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/vid...peed_final.wmv

http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/videos/Kids_Fran2.wmv

Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Sage Burgener

Profile:
Colin- Ive been lifting weights since i was 4 years old. i have been competing since i was 6. My brothers have been lifting since they were extremely young also.. we are all as healthy as can be. i think that kids not lifting weights is a bunch of hogwash...if anything it should make their overall body stronger..not weaker.

Sage
Old 10-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I could see if you just dropped a huge load on a kid and broke something, yeah that would be bad. But smart resistance training for kids is fantastic. I'm certain that it has lifelong benifit as well. Don't have studies to back that up, just my own observations, but I worked some kids pretty hard with resistance stuff. They are quite healthy adults now with no physical problems whatsoever.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
Colin McNulty

Profile:
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll defo include my kid from now on.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
Guest2

Profile:

colin - the kids issue is not much different than any other "special population" issue. they can handle a great deal with no problems and immense benefits, but you do need to be aware of possible contraindications.

the primary argument with kids is that during the time they're growing at the greatest speed (12-14 y/o or so), if growth cartilage is damaged, it may disrupt normal bone growth. note that's "if" and "may". but as in adults, damage occurs from overuse and trauma, not appropriate training.

bottom line - your kid(s) can handle quite a bit of training, given that it's wisely implemented and never excessive. so like Jeff said, there's probably no need to load up a 5 y/o with weights, more because there is so much movement learning still to be had before getting to that stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean weights would be harmful--your kid(s) muscles resist opposing forces all day long, and that's all weightlifting is, just in a more controlled environment.

sage is a good example of a kid who was introduced to weights very early. james mosier is another. of course, the argument could be had that both are only 16/17 y/o, so that's not enough time to tell if any ill effects will be seen, but so far, they look good to me.

my apologies for the somewhat incohesive post--it's early.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I absolutely love this thread. I have two daughters and I get them every wednesday and every other weekend. My eldest has expressed an interest in working out but she's only 9. Most gyms won't let her on the equipment because of her age. That's the main reason I'm setting up a home gym. She's already 5' tall and weighs 100lbs and wears a size 8 shoe. She's thin except for right in the middle - she's got a little gut going on and it's about her physical activity. She often passes for at least a 12 or 13 year old because of her height and features....ah jeez I'm getting scared already.... My youngest is only 6 and she's my body double (poor kid) - she's 4'1" and weighs 90 pounds and she's a chunk but inordinately and impressively strong.

Man....I'm going to take a hip hop class with my eldest daughter just so she gets at least one hour of dancing per week. Can you see my 5'11" 260 pound bald simian azz doing hiphop.....it's all for the cause. And a great cause it is.

All the best,
Arden
Old 10-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:
My sons have all worked out with us since they could walk, before if you count pushing them in the jogging stroller. It is a great chance to bond, and spend time together. Connor is 15 and going through all that entails, but we still have that time after the workout when I get the chance to hear what is going on in his world, and offer the occasional advice...of course he hasn't shown interest in hip hop dancing so we are still good.

(Message edited by Jeff_m on October 09, 2006)