CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Josh Perzow

Profile:  
Quick background on me. Been Crossfit'ing for about 5-6 months now. 6'0, down to about 192 lbs from 212, bf is around 11%...looking to get it lower. I also train in Muay Thai/BJJ/Vale Tudo

So a couple months ago I decide to really clean up my diet. Speak to someone from my gym, a trainer (not a nutritionist)...and we come up with teh following diet for me to follow...

1 - 6 Egg whites, 1/3 cup Steel Cut Oatmeal, 1/3 cup mixed berries, 2 fish oil capsules

2 - Lean protein (4 oz), 1/3 cup brown rice or sweet potato, 1/2 cup vegetables (basically anything besides carrots, corn, tomatoes), 1 TBSP coconut oil

3 - same as 2

4 - post workout shake, 40 gr whey protein, 2-3 scoops glutamine, 2 scoops maltodextrin

5 - same as 2, 1 TBSP coconut oil

6 - 40 grams cassein protein, 2 fish oil capsules

This diet worked well for me, pretty easy to follow, and lost weight and bodyfat as a result. I have read positive and negative articles on coconut oil.

I have no idea whether it helped me lose weight and bodyfat. Bottom line is I am less concerned about looks rather then overall health.

My dad just had a quintuple bypass operation, so I am just focusing on staying healthy, rather then how I look (even though I still do want to look good). I still would like to lose some more weight, and get down to around 183-185...but that is mostly for my MMA training. Just like feeling lighter.

Do I stick with the coconut oil, or maybe switch to something like Flaxseed and flaxssed oil. Would mixing them up be too much fat in my diet...?

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Josh,
Most of the dietary suggestions you're going to get on this board will come as Zone and Paleo diet-oriented. Search the board for those topics and you'll find plenty of information.

If you stick with the coconut oil in prudent quantities, you are in no risk from it. Make sure it is organic and extra-virgin if possible.

If you aren't on fish oil, get on some. I'd suggest a good cod liver oil, personally. Then you can ditch the flax oil.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I second that. Also, what's up with the egg whites? The yolk is the healthiest part. Grab some organic eggs, eat the yolks, and you'll never look back.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Michael Winker

Profile:
Been lurking for a few weeks. Here's my first post.

It's a question. Is there a big difference between flaxseed oil and fish oil? I've tried fish oil before. Bad experience. I burped up fish all day. Ugh. Thanks for any help.

wink
Old 04-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
How dare thee take my name! :lol:

winky
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Josh - that diet looks great, but how long have you been on it? I'm concerned that after a while it will get boring, so you'll tend to fall off of it. Plus, eating a variety of foods very healthy. Try mixing it up! Nothing wrong with coconut oil one day, and flax the next. (or olive oil, nut butter, avacado, butter oil, grassfed animal fat, etc. etc. etc. :-)

Winker - welcome. There's alot of information on the forum, so try searching that first. Fr'instance, check out:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/8673.html

Basically, fish oil is the way to go. Many posts also deal with the fishy burps, i.e.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/13135.html

My personal recommendation is also the Carleson's The Very Finest liquid. I've been using it for 4 months now, and have never once gotten a fishy burp. It tastes *great* considering it's fish oil, too. Also, when you calculate the $/g, the price is right.

I buy it here: http://www.naturalpharmacy.com/suppl...n-fish-oil-500
Old 04-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Can someone point me in the direction of a website regarding the risks associated with coconut oil? I have been using heaps of this stuff lately...should I be concerned? I am pretty open to the possibility that it may not be quite the panacea it is oft purported to be, but where is the conjecture that it is actually bad?

thanx
Old 04-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jibreel,
I would guess that most of the conjecture regarding coconut oil as bad is the good old "saturated fat is bad" association. We both know what to do with that argument, right?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Jibreel,

For what it's worth, I've been using heaps of the stuff for some time now and haven't dropped dead yet. Since switching to coconut oil as my main fat source, I have noticed that I am leaner and my skin looks considerably better (I regularly get positive comments on the latter).
Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Michael Winker

Profile:
Kemal, thanks for the link. Very helpful. I'm gonna search next question.

Neal, sorry about treading on your trademark. lol.

wink 2.0