CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Patrick Scott

Profile:
Programming for the 2012 CF Games "Open"...

Hey all, I was recently having a conversation with a friend about the best way to set up an athlete's programming for a competitive and respectable finish in the 2012 Games "Open". The athlete in question would be me. He comes from the strength & conditioning world and is a professional coach. I mention that because he does not come from the crossfit world, but the games have peaked his interest (BTW - I think we're going to see a lot of non-crossfitters competing in the near future). He has his ideas and I have mine, which closely resemble his, but I wanted to get some other "e-pinions" on the topic. I've seen a lot of threads about games programming, but most of them deal with the upper tier athletes, not regular joes just trying to compete. I certainly don't have any delusions of granduer, but that doesn't mean I can't still be competitive. My goal for 2012 is to have a respectable finish in the Open and maybe Qualify for regionals in 2013.

A little background on me - I haven't been consistently CF'ing for very long, in fact, most of my training has centered around basic strength training (the power lifts) and simple sprinting & sled pulls/pushes for conditioning. Until early 2011, I had never done a power clean. I wouldn't say I'm an accomplished lifter, but I am probably ahead of your average gym rat (that's not saying much). I've also never competed in any local throwdowns or challenges, but I plan to start ASAP. I missed a local one a few weekends ago but won't let that happen again.

So with that said, and without getting into too much detail, what would you all suggest, programming-wise for a fairly novice CF'er looking for a respectable "Open" finish? My S&C Coach friend suggested a heavy bias on strength movements (power lifts), followed by serious Olympic lifting (he suggested I find a coach and pay for lessons), Heavy Skill work (DU's, MU's, HSPU's/Walks/etc) and finally, lots of sprinting and sled pushing/pulling as conditioning work. He also said to keep the metcon work to a minimum (use as a finisher), and to keep them short and intense (since I still have alot of fat I'd like to lose). Overall, I agreed with that suggestion, but I though I should be doing about 2-3 days of actual Mainpage metcon WOD's.

Do you all agree? Questions Comments and critique are welcome. If you're competing, let me know what you're doing as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Programming for the 2012 CF Games "Open"...

Can you do last year's Open workouts as Rxed?

If not, or if the weights used are more than 50-60% of your 1RM, then getting stronger should be your primary goal, even at the expense of conditioning.

Second, can you do all of the "typical CF" skill movements rapidly and in large numbers? If not, then that's goal number two.

Metcon -- including CF main page -- is a distant third behind those two goals, IMO.

Katherine
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

the 2012 open is exactly two months away, so whatever you are going to do, you'd better get doing it!

You could look at last years open results from your region (mid atlantic) as a gauge to see if you are within two months of being "respectable", I guess?

If you go to (WFS)

http://games.crossfit.com/content/scoreboard

and choose "Mid atlantic" from the region drop down, then click "Next" at the bottom till you get to the last page, you'll see the person who came in last place overall (729th) in your region. So...depending on what you call "respectable" pick somebody's score and do some of the WODs and see if you are close to beating them?

I'd personally call "top half" respectable...so try to beat anybody lower than 350th in your region-ish?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Stats ?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Can you do last year's Open workouts as Rxed?

If not, or if the weights used are more than 50-60% of your 1RM, then getting stronger should be your primary goal, even at the expense of conditioning.

Second, can you do all of the "typical CF" skill movements rapidly and in large numbers? If not, then that's goal number two.

Metcon -- including CF main page -- is a distant third behind those two goals, IMO.

Katherine
Katherine, thanks for the input. Seems like you echo my friends suggestion. Although I didn't officially compete last year, I did do the first 2 WODS. My scores were lousy, especially since the first WOD called for DU's, and I was just learning them at the time (still don't have unbroken DU's and I'm prone to frequent total meltdowns when fatigued). The 155 Deadlift was no problem. I think I have a decent strength base, especially with the powerlifts. WOD 3 is where it all came to a screeching halt. I couldn't do a squat clean and still cannot do one on par w/ games standards. I'm getting there though...Lots of mob'ing. Also, at the time 135lb's was more than I could clean, in any shape or form. So the answer to your first question is "NO", in relation to the Oly style movements. I need to get much stronger on them.

At this time, I am unable to do many of the heavy skill movements. Rings are going up this weekend. My OHP strength sucks, so HSPU's/walks are going to be rough.

Interesting take on the Metcon, I thought maybe I should be doing more of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trent Miller View Post
the 2012 open is exactly two months away, so whatever you are going to do, you'd better get doing it!

You could look at last years open results from your region (mid atlantic) as a gauge to see if you are within two months of being "respectable", I guess?

If you go to (WFS)

http://games.crossfit.com/content/scoreboard

and choose "Mid atlantic" from the region drop down, then click "Next" at the bottom till you get to the last page, you'll see the person who came in last place overall (729th) in your region. So...depending on what you call "respectable" pick somebody's score and do some of the WODs and see if you are close to beating them?

I'd personally call "top half" respectable...so try to beat anybody lower than 350th in your region-ish?
Yep, and two of those 9 or so weeks will be spent on Royal Carribean cruise...I need to get my ar$$e in gear lol. Good suggestion on qualifying my definition of "respectable". I'll take a look at last years numbers and maybe do a few of the wods and see where I end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
Stats ?

5'10", 210lbs (Down from 238 earlier this year) and probably 18-20% BF. My goal is to get back to 180-85 and 10-12%BF. I'm away that 95% of that is diet. I'm fairly primal/paleo, with the exception of moring oatmeal (yea, I know...get rid of it!) 5 days a week. I no longer eat junkfood or refined sugars. When I do "cheat" or screw up, it's usually too much fruit, nuts, trailmix or sweet potatos at the wrong time. I do eat dark chocolate (> 85% cocoa) and cheese. But overall, my diet is pretty good.

Deadlift 1rm: 427lb's
OHP 1rm: maybe 160, 175?? haven't tried in a while
Back squat: 365x5, never tried 1rm but I'm guessing just under 400.
Benchpress: 295 x 2 No idea on 1rm

Like I said, no delusions of grandeur but I do want to be competitive.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
Interesting take on the Metcon, I thought maybe I should be doing more of that.
My thinking is that
1) Lack of strength or lack of skill will get you DNFed. Lack of metcon will just make you slow.
2) Improved strength and skill will make the metcons easier, because they'll use less of your total capacity.
3) Metcon is relatively easier to build.

Katherine
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
Deadlift 1rm: 427lb's
OHP 1rm: maybe 160, 175?? haven't tried in a while
Back squat: 365x5, never tried 1rm but I'm guessing just under 400.
Benchpress: 295 x 2 No idea on 1rm
If you can back squat nearly 400#, you shouldn't have any trouble cleaning 200#. If you do, then yes, time with an oly coach would be a very good investment.

Katherine
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

can you do pistols? double unders? toes to bar? muscle ups?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Quote:
My thinking is that
1) Lack of strength or lack of skill will get you DNFed. Lack of metcon will just make you slow.
2) Improved strength and skill will make the metcons easier, because they'll use less of your total capacity.
3) Metcon is relatively easier to build.

Katherine
Gotcha, makes sense. For some reason, I always get caught up in the metcon game.
Quote:
If you can back squat nearly 400#, you shouldn't have any trouble cleaning 200#. If you do, then yes, time with an oly coach would be a very good investment.
Katherine
Unfortunately, I do have trouble with cleans. My 1rm Power clean is 185. I haven't retested in a while though. Squat cleans are another issue. I simply don't have the flexibility to bring my hips below parallel (crease of the shorts below the knee).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
can you do pistols? double unders? toes to bar? muscle ups?
No, yes (but not unbroken), yes, and no. lol. I've got alot of work to do in the skills dept. In the past few weeks, I've started doing elevated pistols so that I stand on a bumper or plyo box and lower my forward foot below that level.

Here's another issue - I don't have an OHS. Years of benchpress and no mob'ing/stretching has left me super tight in the shoulder/pec minor area. I just don't have the ROM for an OHS/Snatch. Power snatch, I can manage, but not heavy at all. I've been working on mobility though and I also think time with an Oly coach will help. That's a top priority.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine
Was going to say the same thing, with your raw strength numbers I would think you should be cleaning up around 225lbs pretty easily once you get your form down. I've been kicking around the idea of shooting for a regionals effort in 2013. I'm 32 now so it's then or never lol. Give me something to work for.