CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
James Chambers

Profile:
Kipping technique

So, I'm scratching my head a bit on the exact subtleties of the correct Kip. I'm not even touching butterflies in this thread.

It took me months to Kip, and when I finally did, I was effectively swinging into hollownbody position, and then getting up to the bar, in that same hollow position. This worked fine-ish. Then, I did my l1 cert, and they taught us to RE-OPEN/EXTEND the hip on the way up to the bar, after getting hollow on the swing. I started doing this, for a while. Now, I stumbled across the Kip vid on gymnastics WOD, and re-watched the kipping vid on the position series on the journal, and I'm not seeing that final hip extension the way they're teaching it in those vids, and I tend to trust Paoli and Starrett. Am I missing something here? Seeing it wrong? Not sure whether to reevaluate my Kip, and how to teach it...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Kipping technique

Basically you have 3 different camps on the kipping pullup, 4 actually though you would have to see the 4th on-hand since there isn't any documented video of it online, I think.

There are the 2 kipping pullup series in under CF mainpage video area. One is with Annie Sakamoto and the other is with Adrian Bozman. These were taken from L1 Certs.

Then there is the technique in Tucker's Camp.

Then there is the technique in Paoli's Camp.

The 4th would be Roger Harrell's. Roger is another gymnastics guru of CrossFit. However, I don't remember the exact subtle nuances of what he presented it as and I don't know or feel like digging for my notes so I won't be going over it. Russ shows it beautifully but he is a movement genius (another former high level gymnast like Roger). We also went over some of the subtle physics of the BFK and how not to destroy your shoulders in the process.

Personally, I prefer the BFK as it came pretty naturally to me while the hollow arch cyclic never worked all that well to stringing together kipping pullups if I use a big swing. I think I try to swing too fast and cycle it too fast but I can do a slow or muted connect kipping pullups if I care too (which I only do when I'm too gassed to perform the BFK anymore).

Adrian and Annie's and Tuck's start with the basic hollow to arch swing. Carl uses a very muted kip swing. Slight open shoulder and hip and that's it. There is a slight pike in the hip to hollow as it changes from open shoulder/flat hip to the pullup in his style.

Tuck uses a big swing in the shoulders and hips to hollow pullup. Both Tuck's and Carl's use and strive for straight legs.

They are all different, pick your camp or style and stick to it. Compromising Tuck's and Carl's are a bit easier than the L1 since that uses that a kick element. It's useful to know all since you may have clients that use different styles.

For instance, some crossfitters simply have shoulders that are so tight they really can't get much of them. Some of them might not kip because they find it's too rough on their shoulders. Some people don't like the BFK at all, period.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
James Chambers

Profile:

Thanks so much. This helps a bunch.

Any other input from anyone as to why one would take one approach over another?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think Tucker's approach and Rogers (which is fairly similar) allows for more reps but it cycles slower because of the big swing. Good for endurance amount of reps say in those 50+ rep kipping pullup WODs. Angie.

Adrian/Annie/L1 cycles faster.

Carl's can cycle quickly but since there is less swing, it'll sap more shoulder strength in the longer run with more reps.

We aren't talking about BFK but I don't think the BFK is even possible for those without some decent shoulder strength (pullup strength). Whether you start it fast or with a slow buildup, it still needs some brute strength.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

bfk??

big ****ing kip?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Butterfly kip, I think he's talking about...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, Butterfly kip.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:

I discourage the secondary opening at the top of the kip. It can help an individual complete a pull up that they would have otherwise not completed, but it mutes the kip in the long run, and just demonstrates an improper kip at the bottom. Good action in the shoulders from arch to hollow will create plenty of lift to carry you over the bar and sets up well for butterfly or standard kipping pull ups less additional movement is more efficient and there's no yank at the top which will help to relieve grip fatigue issues.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thanks, Rog.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
James Chambers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
I discourage the secondary opening at the top of the kip. It can help an individual complete a pull up that they would have otherwise not completed, but it mutes the kip in the long run, and just demonstrates an improper kip at the bottom. Good action in the shoulders from arch to hollow will create plenty of lift to carry you over the bar and sets up well for butterfly or standard kipping pull ups less additional movement is more efficient and there's no yank at the top which will help to relieve grip fatigue issues.
Kind of what I was suspecting, just worded way smartererer than I would have thought of. Is there a good link somewhere for BFK cues using this method? I'm about to tackle those, at long last...