CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Rob Ray

Profile:
HSPU's: Facing towards or away?

Everytime I've done HSPU's, I've been instructed to do them with my back facing the wall. Watch any of the Games videos and nearly every athlete does too.

But Carl Paoli always stresses to do them while actually facing the wall as shown here:

http://youtu.be/cy57JXGDjxQ (WFS)

I've seen some great video of him working with Khalipa I believe in articles on the Journal... How do you do them?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Boris Bachmann

Profile:
Re: HSPU's: Facing towards or away?

I'm going to completely disagree w. that video.

I don't see how facing towards a wall is going to prevent "ugly, broken positions" any more than facing away...

Most people are going to find kicking up to and down from position much, much easier than hand walking into and out of the handstand (especially when in a hurry and/or when fatigued).
Old 11-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

As long as you can maintain a stable hip, core, and shoulder position, it really doesn't matter which progression you use. Just make sure to practice freestanding once they become second nature.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I did handstands for a long time with the back up against the wall. It's easier -- easier to mount, easier to hold, easier to dismount. But I've been doing them lately by walking up the wall to face the wall. That position strongly encourages the hollow body position. In the back against the wall position the posterior chain fires up instead of the anterior chain.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I have done them both ways, and feel that doing them facing the wall has had the best carry-over to my free-standing handstands and HSPUs. That's just how I feel about it.

Most gymnastic coaches recommend facing the walls, from what I've read.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Walking up is more tiring and slow. Use a cartwheel and stop at HS.

Not as doable if you are cramped for wall space in a gym with people too close to you. Otherwise, faster.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

My advice is to do both, but I always do much more facing the wall than back to the wall. IF, you are ever in competition (or want to compete) you'll need to do them back to the wall (so you need to practice that).

Pretty much every gymnastic coach I've talked with prefers facing the wall, I'd like to think the folks with the decades of experience know what they're talking about.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Sean Lind

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ray View Post
Everytime I've done HSPU's, I've been instructed to do them with my back facing the wall. Watch any of the Games videos and nearly every athlete does too.

But Carl Paoli always stresses to do them while actually facing the wall as shown here:

http://youtu.be/cy57JXGDjxQ (WFS)

I've seen some great video of him working with Khalipa I believe in articles on the Journal... How do you do them?

Keep in mind that doing handstand pushup and Headstand Pushups are two different things. Handstand push-up is an extreme range of motion where the head goes past the X-axis of the support position.( Ie, parallel bars, rings)

Headstand pushup is when the top of the head touches the ground, and then push back up.

Now with that in mind, all handstand/headstand push ups againts the wall are actually a modification of a true handstand/headstand pushup (Free standing)

I am wondering when the day will come when the games competitors doing WODS with HeSPU and HSPU, when they wont use a wall as a modification or assitance, just like using a band pull ups. it is a development for a skill, and not a skill on its own.

And to answer your question, I tend to do them free-standing, usually modify them to headstand Push-ups for high reps.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I did handstands for a long time with the back up against the wall. It's easier -- easier to mount, easier to hold, easier to dismount. But I've been doing them lately by walking up the wall to face the wall. That position strongly encourages the hollow body position. In the back against the wall position the posterior chain fires up instead of the anterior chain.
At our box, we actually have folks do this (Wall Walks) in our warm ups... but for HSPU during a WOD, people usually face away from the wall.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

For every tool there is a use. For every position there is an advancing of form to be gained and knowledge of forms needed.

For some back to the wall is a comfort thing. YOU SHOULD work toward facing the wall but for many newbies this is not so simple. It is more natural to kick up to the wall than to cartwheel to the wall - but again it depends on the amount of training and confidence the person has who is performing the work or work to be done.

Kicking up with the back to the wall is simple in regards to getting there and exiting the inversion. It is a simple answer for many - and still we can require them to pull from the wall to balance with good hollow form and inverted stacking while learning a HS.

Doing cartwheels to the wall is also great - easy way to face the wall and require the needed forms for staking a good solid HS. But if that person does not have the cartwheel, or good exit plans once facing the wall - we got work to do. Does not take long to get this out of someone - just good practice and time.

Simple really - use the tool that applies based on the clay you have to mold...