CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #321
Selina McFall

Profile:
Re: My SLAP Journey...

I had my monthly follow up with the doctor today. He's pretty pleased with my progress - range of motion pretty much back to normal, except external rotation which is about 90% of normal. Another 2 weeks until I can start strengthening, and 1 month until I can start sport, yoga etc again.

One thing I have been wondering, is how this surgery might affect my shooting accuracy in netball (for the Yanks - netball is like basketball, but you don't run with the ball, and the goal hoops are smaller with no board behind them). A friend's son had this same surgery, and said that it took a few months before his golf putting was back to normal - could shooting in netball be the same? I'm one of the few shooters in our team, so the pressure is on!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:16 AM   #322
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina McFall View Post
I had my monthly follow up with the doctor today. He's pretty pleased with my progress - range of motion pretty much back to normal, except external rotation which is about 90% of normal. Another 2 weeks until I can start strengthening, and 1 month until I can start sport, yoga etc again.

One thing I have been wondering, is how this surgery might affect my shooting accuracy in netball (for the Yanks - netball is like basketball, but you don't run with the ball, and the goal hoops are smaller with no board behind them). A friend's son had this same surgery, and said that it took a few months before his golf putting was back to normal - could shooting in netball be the same? I'm one of the few shooters in our team, so the pressure is on!
Hey Selina.

Im very familiar with netball, my wife plays here in Australia, so i often shoot goals with her to practice. Youll be fine to return to normal on the court and youll find shooting wont be an issue. As soon as you get a bit of strength holding your arm over your head you should find that the rest will return to what it was pre.op without too many issues at all.

ROM will be the only holdup as far as shooting goes. It took me 4-5 months to get to a point where i could freely move my arm above my head. Once you get that ROM back youll be fine for netball.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #323
Michael Dries

Profile:

Ugh I feel like I've taken a huge step back.

In early June I had some drunken fun in a rather large bouncy house (it was for the kids at a party, but then the adults took over). I didn't do anything that hurt it that night. I did do a pull up or two on the monkey bars but nothing crazy. I was doing pull ups in pt (I was cleared of pt in april). I woke up the next morning and my should hurt! But then again so did every other injury I ever had, I chalked it up to a hang over.

Fast forward a week, and my shoulder stars popping, in the area of what feels like just below the A/C joint. It hasn't gone away. I took a month off of working out and went back to my PT exercises, didn't seem to help much.

Worked out through the month of august and it was so-so. Didn't have much pain but the popping never went away. I decided to take September completely off, relax, no silliness and no lifting. Maybe a bike ride when it's nice out. The last few days it's hurt more than usual. Maybe it's upset I'm not moving it around as much, I dunno.

Gravel and others, have you noticed any A/C area popping clicking at 6-18 months post op? My rom is damn near perfect except for behind the back and abducted internal rotation (think scare crow pose).

I'm going to stick to my plan and slowly ramp up volume again in October, if it still bothers me back to the surgeon i go i suppose. :-(

Just venting. Sigh
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #324
Selina McFall

Profile:

Michael

Oh no, how frustrating! Afraid I can't offer any advice or experience, I'm only 3 months' post op.

Gravel

Thanks for the reassurance. My ROM has come back extremely well - I can move my arms about above my head freely with no pain (I was having a good boogie on the dancefloor last night, and I can dance normally!!). What I'm lacking at the moment is strength - as the surgeon has had me doing no strengthening at all for the first 3 months.

However, I start strengthening in PT tomorrow! Really looking forward to moving on to the next phase of re-hab.

Last edited by Selina McFall : 09-08-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #325
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Michael, obviously im no expert mate but to me it sounds like youve just flared things up again. Mine still flares up from time to time if i go too heavy in the gym and when it does become inflammed it definitely cracks and pops a bit more than usual.

I aggravated mine big time a few months back doing heavy sets of bench press. I ended up taking a whole month off of the gym, no weights at all, and in that time it cleared up. I never thought it was going to get better and was sure id torn something again, but now im back benching 230lb for reps without a problem.

Im sure if you rest it for a while itll come good. Another thing ive started taking is daily Glucosamine tablets. My friend who had a knee recon put me onto them and now i swear by it. They tend to keep everything nice and limber, might be worth a try. Fish Oils are also a must for me now.

I always think back to my surgeon telling me that if i was to re-tear it i would feel significant pain then and there at the time. If i pull up sore the next day and dont feel anything specific at the time it is just inflammation. I think that an injury as major as something requiring shoulder surgery always tend to make us a tad paranoid as soon as we feel a bit of pain. I think this is a good thing though as i keeps us 'careful' and aware of whats going on.

Selina: sounds like youre tracking along perfectly. When you do start some strength stuff dont be suprised if you do flare it up and feel a bit of pain. As i mentioned above, it all seems par for the course with shoulders. Everyone ive spoken to has regular flareups with their operated shoulder. Ive got friends at work who had shoulder recons 3 years ago and they still get inflammation from time to time.

Keep in touch guys!!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #326
Michael Dries

Profile:

You know Gravel, you're spot on. It's been almost week since I touched a weight or a pull up bar and it's already feeling better. It seems that if I do a pull up without warming up it REALLY get inflamed. That's what happened in June and just this past Monday I was playing with my niece at the park and did a pull up cold and the next day my shoulder was ANGRY at me. Though I never had a problem doing them in PT or in training so long as I was warm. I'm guess my rotators and delt muscles are still just weak as all get out for now. I still do my T's/Y's/L's and internal/external rotation work as a warm up before my general lifting. But I just ticked over to the year mark and my right side is still visibly smaller than my left. I just have to work smarter I guess.

Fish oil doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me, at least none that I can tell but I'm still experimenting. I've been taking it on and off for the better part of 3 years now. I also don't eat grains, dairy or nuts as they tent to turn inflammation on in me (acne break outs, etc). But I still take that or supplement my diet with canned sardines for the omega-3s.

I might try the Glucosamine. Thanks for the support. :-)

Last edited by Michael Dries : 09-10-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #327
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
You know Gravel, you're spot on. It's been almost week since I touched a weight or a pull up bar and it's already feeling better. It seems that if I do a pull up without warming up it REALLY get inflamed. That's what happened in June and just this past Monday I was playing with my niece at the park and did a pull up cold and the next day my shoulder was ANGRY at me. Though I never had a problem doing them in PT or in training so long as I was warm. I'm guess my rotators and delt muscles are still just weak as all get out for now. I still do my T's/Y's/L's and internal/external rotation work as a warm up before my general lifting. But I just ticked over to the year mark and my right side is still visibly smaller than my left. I just have to work smarter I guess.

Fish oil doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me, at least none that I can tell but I'm still experimenting. I've been taking it on and off for the better part of 3 years now. I also don't eat grains, dairy or nuts as they tent to turn inflammation on in me (acne break outs, etc). But I still take that or supplement my diet with canned sardines for the omega-3s.

I might try the Glucosamine. Thanks for the support. :-)
Yeah funny isnt it, everyone who has shoulder surgery seems to have a few 'goat' movements afterwards that always flare things up. For me its definitely heavy cleans, they crush the front of my shoulders, heavy bench also causes a few dramas from time to time.

It takes a while but you will reach a point where you know your exact limitations and how far you can push things. I pretty much know now exactly what weight is 'safe' for each exercise, and whilst i still try to go heavy, i do cap my weights at certain poundages on certain exercises. For example the max i will benchpress now is 230lb, because i now know through experience that anything heavier will cause inflammation. Im the same with the cleans, my capped weight is around 200lbs, anything heavier is a recipie for disaster. Hangs cleans and snatches... i wont even go there, not worth the risk for me.

I really think that you do have to go through a few scares, as you have recently, to learn exactly how far you can sensibly push things. Im pretty much there now (15 months) and the further i go the less and less flare ups i seem to be having. We live and learn i guess.

Give it a decent stint of rest mate and im sure itll bounce back. If it was re-torn you likely would have felt chronic pain or discomfort at the time it happened, at least thats been my experience and what my docs told me. Im sure youll be back on track in no time at all.

And yep, give the Glucosamine a good go, IMO they work wonders.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #328
Zane Giddens

Profile:

Hey guys I'm 4 1/2 weeks out of my bankart repair. My ROM above my head seems to be fine, well at least up to shoulder height as that's as far as they will let me go. My external rotation seems to be the most problematic but I'm supposedly on track. I started at 0 degrees and now up to 30 degrees in 4 weeks. Another thing I've noticed is, if I try to lift my arm to 90 degrees in a chicken wing position, I seem to try to lift my shoulder after the 75% mark.

Overall, I'm pleased with my progress and I've never have been in agony this whole experience. I heard so many horror stories before the surgery which was one reason I held off for 15 years and probably more dislocations.

The biggest fear is one that lingers in the back of my mind, was this procedure successful???

Also, I'm big hunter and season comes in Oct 20th about 9 1/2 weeks post op. You guys think I will be able to shoot a .270 rifle at that point? The gun will be against my repaired shoulder. Not hunting is not an option A smaller caliber could be.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #329
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Hi Zane.

Yes i too doubted the success of my surgery, its a constant mental battle. I havent heard too many stories of repairs that didnt work.. more the patient not being strict with rehab that has resulted in retears etc. I couldnt be happier with my repair, im back to 100% now and i attribute this to being strict with my rehab and not rushing back too soon.

Re your shooting... i feel your pain... im an obsessed fisherman and not being able to fish for 4 months killed me but i didnt want to risk falls etc in the boat, plus it was too stiff anyhow so i had no choice. If it were me id hold off for a while before you hunt. The rifle has potential to give your shoulder a fair jolt (re tear or bruising?) and at your stage either of these is bad news. Id wait at least 3-4 months.

The repair takes 8 weeks just to fuse properly and even at this point its very weak. In the grand scheme of things mate i dont think its worth the risk.. thats my thoughts anyhow.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #330
Zane Giddens

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know if took 8 weeks just to fuse together but thinking about it, that does sound accurate.

May just have the first month of season, chilling at the camp around the fire.