CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Stephen Cardillo

Profile:
My Daily Intake (Please Critique)

Hey guys,
I am new to Crossfit so I guess I should start by my numbers. I am 6'1 228 lbs and trying to gain/maintain strength while losing the perma floatie around my waist. I need some diet advice/critique.

Breakfast:
4 egg whites and 1 full egg
Banana
Kale cooked on a skillet in a little coconut oil or steamed broccoli

Mid Morning:
Some Almonds

Lunch:
Spinach Salad with carrots, cucumbers, grilled chicken, a couple of strawberries, olive oil and vinegar.

Mid afternoon:
2 scoops of whey protein (45 grams protein) with a tablespoon of Wheat Germ and a tablespoon of flax seed oil

Dinner:
Some type of lean meat grilled or baked with a large serving of veggies cooked on a skillet with coconut oil.

I am not sure if I should add a before bed shake and if so what type of shake to drink. Any suggestions on protein shake ingredients would be helpful since the one I make tastes pretty nasty.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Stephen
Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: My Daily Intake (Please Critique)

Is this diet new too? It's hard to tell if you are eating enough because you don't give amounts, so try plugging what you eat into an online calculator like www.fitday.com (wfs). If you find yourself dragging then eat more.

For breakfast eat the whole egg, dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood cholesterol. Everything else looks good. I'm a fan of whole food over shakes, but if you want to have a shake only do it PWO. Why would you force yourself to drink something that you don't like? Try coconut water/milk, and throw in some berries, that should make it taste better. There is no need to down a shake before bed, if you are hungry eat some food.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Spencer James

Profile:
Re: My Daily Intake (Please Critique)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Cardillo View Post
Hey guys,
I am new to Crossfit so I guess I should start by my numbers. I am 6'1 228 lbs and trying to gain/maintain strength while losing the perma floatie around my waist. I need some diet advice/critique.

Breakfast:
4 egg whites and 1 full egg
Banana
Kale cooked on a skillet in a little coconut oil or steamed broccoli

Mid Morning:
Some Almonds

Lunch:
Spinach Salad with carrots, cucumbers, grilled chicken, a couple of strawberries, olive oil and vinegar.

Mid afternoon:
2 scoops of whey protein (45 grams protein) with a tablespoon of Wheat Germ and a tablespoon of flax seed oil

Dinner:
Some type of lean meat grilled or baked with a large serving of veggies cooked on a skillet with coconut oil.

I am not sure if I should add a before bed shake and if so what type of shake to drink. Any suggestions on protein shake ingredients would be helpful since the one I make tastes pretty nasty.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Stephen
You might want to peruse around leangains.com (WFS, i guess). You're eating 5-6 times per day, which I guess works for some people but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence suggesting that people who are seeking to lean out without compromising strength do better with 2, maybe 3 big meals a day combined with a 16-18 hour fasting period. The specifics vary a LOT depending on your schedule, workout regimen, etc., but you should at least consider checking it out.