CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Michael Jarossy

Profile:
30-Day Pre-Thanksgiving Paleo Challenge

Hey gang. I have decided that I am going to start my own 30 day strict paleo diet as of Monday the 25th. If anyone else has been thinking about giving this a try, you're more than welcome to share the pain with me.

A little back story: I've been crossfitting for almost 4 months now, and while I have made great improvements in my diet over that time, I think I'm ready to take the next step. I picked up a copy of The Primal Blueprint to read over the weekend, I've been reading some really good blogs on the subject, and I'm compiling a list of recipes. I figure now is the best time to get started, just so I don't have to worry about it during Thanksgiving. My extended family does not eat quite as well as I do these days...

So for those of you who have done the challenge before, I'd appreciate any tips or encouragement. And for those of you who have been thinking about it, now's the time! Let's do it!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: 30-Day Pre-Thanksgiving Paleo Challenge

The Whole 30 is a good resource that will give you both tips and encouragement check it out if you haven't already:
http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/ (WFS)
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

Thanks for the link, Rebecca. I'll definitely check it out.

On an unrelated note, I just thought of a question. What should I do as far as cataloging my before and after states? I'll take some pictures and whatnot, and by a lucky coincidence, I'm getting my annual bloodwork done Monday morning. Anything else I should be keeping track of?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:

Measurements. I would measure arms, chest, waist, thighs and hips.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Ryan Green

Profile:

Hey Michael, I started my 30 day challenge this monday, and so far it's going great. The hardest part for me is making sure I have enough paleo food around in the afternoon to snack on when I get hungry. I may just make it a five week challenge and go all the way up to Thanksgiving. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
James Orr

Profile:

My wife and I started this past monday as well. Robb Wolf's book was the one that made us decide to give it a go after getting jazzed about it previously during the summer after reading Primal Blueprint. Robb's book is really helpful in that it provides 30 days of meal plans.

So far I feel good, but however you cut it, paleo snacks suck. Almonds, walnuts, beef jerky, and apples can only get you so far A little one dimensional so far, but we're sticking it out.

No cravings or headaches btw. Well, no intense cravings. I just miss the texture of bread.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
No cravings or headaches btw. Well, no intense cravings. I just miss the texture of bread.
I've been off bread for a few weeks already, so hopefully I won't have to worry about that.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
So far I feel good, but however you cut it, paleo snacks suck. Almonds, walnuts, beef jerky, and apples can only get you so far A little one dimensional so far, but we're sticking it out.
Dude, tell me about. I'm effing sick of almonds already. However, you might consider making some guacamole (I use the Chipotle recipe), it goes great with celery or home baked sweet potato chips. Also, a couple slices of bacon wrapped up in a lettuce leaf with some sliced tomato is a nice afternoon snack as well.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Lindsay Grant

Profile:

I am finishing up my 30 days on Sunday..I am going to keep going though until Thanksgiving..I feel great in WODs and feel like i am getting stronger but haven't noticed a huge change in body comp. I do however believe that it will come eventually..I just have to be patient which sucks. I have been eating paleo about 85-90% of the time before but I was crazy about artificial sweeteners and so I decided to just ditch it all (except whey) and see what happens. I really don't have huge cravings anymore. Most of my cravings are for things like almond butter so at least it is paleo! I definitely still need to watch portion sizes since I am wanting to lose fat but this is definitely a lifestyle change and I honestly don't miss bread at all...if I do want bread it will be gluten free.

Good Luck
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Jon West

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica S Roberts View Post
Measurements. I would measure arms, chest, waist, thighs and hips.
gaaaah

i've been going for 3 weeks now, but plan on going over 30 days and I didn't even think of doing this. Thank you for the idea