CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #31
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Possible cause for foot turned outwards (Steven Low please read).

Well today I went to him again, probably for the last time, at least for a couple of weeks. He told me about giving me an 8 session package, but the total price is a reduction of about 20%. It's still way too expensive for what we're doing. For the past 3 days he did again: heat, ultrasound, electrical things (whatever they're called) and in the past two days no strength training. He does say I'm much better, he said it like 3 times today which was kindof funny, because yesterday I rolled my QL against the wall with a tennis ball (don't have a lacrosse ball) and today the soreness is almost completely gone. This week he saw the biggest improvement, but this week I've done the Egoscue routine 3 times and yesterday rolled the QL. Coincidence?

I asked about hips in place and he says they're still in place, he didn't manipulate me again but he said that's the one of the first things he looks at when I lay prone and they're level, the two little holes in my back. (which I didn't know I had, lol).

I am definitely not going back though, not even at a lower price. Her secretary gave me that "deal" at about 80% of the original price, but asked me how much I was willing to pay. I understand why he'd take anything because what he does costs nothing.

But I think I can improve myself. Like I said above I ordered the heating pad and as soon as I get it I'll apply heat everyday. Maybe in the meantime I'll apply a hot wet towel for a few minutes to the area. I wonder what the best time for the heat to be applied is? Maybe before doing the Egoscue routine, if I had to guess. I will also keep rolling with the tennis ball and maybe progress to a harder ball eventually but I only have a billiards ball (very hard), not a lacrosse one.

I might start going to a sports massage place that I've went before, at least once a week, since they're cheap (about US$22) and they also have the heat pads, the electrical thingies, and I think ultrasound too although they haven't used it on me (but they've used the other two things). They're good at finding a lot of "knots" in my muscles which hurt like hell. I should make a habit of going there at least weekly since it's not so expensive. If I go I'll ask them to specifically dig in the QL muscle.

I haven't lifted heavy in about 2 weeks. But next week I plan to at least do one or two lifting sessions a week, even if only upper body for the first couple of weeks while I attempt to fix things with heat, egoscue and massage.

Oh and I forgot to mention yesterday I played tennis and still he saw me much better today, so tennis doesn't affect me I think, at least I can have some fun. It sucks that I also find strength workouts fun, 'cause I won't be having so much fun in the next few weeks!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #32
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Very interesting: WFS: http://www.downeastschoolofmassage.net/forum/king03.htm
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #33
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

OMG! I just had another thought!! My ribs are asymmetrical. Now, I know noone is perfectly symmetrical, but there is a very noticeable difference in mine. When I suck my stomach in, as if I were doing a vacuum exercise, anyone can clearly tell my right ribs, at the bottom, are more pulled towards the inside of my torso. I used to think "my left ribs stick out", but I am now wondering if the left ones are just fine, and the right ones are being pulled down/back by the tight QL!! After all, the QL is attached to the 12th rib. (Is this the last one? Looks like it from the pictures.)

Could the QL really be so tight and shortened as to have pulled my lower right ribs inward????? Or should I consider other muscles?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #34
Steven Low

Profile:

It's certainly possible.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Man, I'm so dumb. I went to a physiotherapist I found last week. This guy seems to know more than the chiro for sure. He rx'd an MRI so I had one done on saturday. I'll have the results tomorrow afternoon or so. Anyways, he mentioned something very interesting: the multifidus muscle. I did not know of this muscle, but guess what? It's located right there, right where I feel the "emptyness" in my right side.

It turns out this muscle is also commonly atrophied and there's even a condition called multifidus dysfunction. WFS: http://www.totalcontrolprogram.com/copy/exercises2.html
(One of the many links I found).

The reason I said I was dumb, was because when I started doing the Egoscue exercises almost 2 weeks ago, after the first session I felt quite sore in that right lower back (I thought it was the Quadratus Lumborum). So I stopped doing the exercises that caused this, and replaced it with another drill that targets the Glute Med but wont overwork that section that I felt sore the day after beggining Egoscue. This is why I now think it was a very, very dumb move. If I was getting sore there, it's probably not because of what I originally thought (some muscle in the lower back compensating for a weak Glute Med.). It's probably just some muscle that is never worked and is atrophied, doing some work with that drill. My right GMed is as strong as the left, or very close, nowdays. Other drills tell me that.

Argh. So I could've been working the Multifidus for 13 days but I haven't... I want to hit myself in the head now. Now I feel that's the most important drill of the whole 40 minutes (or so) it takes me to complete this routine, and it's the only one I had decided to take out. Awesome. Just awesome.

I read some more articles and atrophied Multifidus appear to be seen in MRI's. Hopefully my MRI shows something so I can stop guessing. But now it really sounds like that is the whole issue. I've been palpating the lower back area lately and I can really feel a big difference from right to left side. As I begin to move my fingers to the spine towards the side, I find a "hole" on the right side, where as the left side is much fuller. Also the left side never gets sore from that Egoscue drill that seems to target this muscle so well. ARGH!#%^@&(%$ I wish I would've kept doing it. But I start today with it... maybe I can start filling that gap in there. I'm a little anxious about the MRI results too....

Edit: There is a whole book dedicated to this little muscle. WFS: http://backandneck.about.com/od/trea...fidusrevie.htm

Since that Egoscue drill hit it so hard and left me sore in it for a few days, I'm just gonna try doing it for the next two weeks and see if it it makes any difference. Well, I know muscles don't grow much in two weeks but if it's really that atrophied, even in that short amount of time it should make a difference.

Last edited by Arturo Garcia : 10-25-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: To add about the book.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #36
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Ok I just keep thinking about this.

I remember once a workout that I slightly modified from mainpage: walking lunges with a 50# dumbell (just ONE dumbell) and I did hip extensions (mainsite called for swings). I could not finish this, in round 4 I had this HUGE cramp-type of feeling in my right "lower back". I know now it was not the lower back.

I get the same feeling after doing single leg hip extensions with the right leg. Or single leg hip thrusts with the right leg.

It's a pain in that "empty" area in my right lower back. I'm beggining to feel pretty certain that what's causing most of my problems are atrophied muscles in that area which I need to target specifically. I mean, even though stuff like walking lunges target all those core muscles, mines are obviously not getting worked enough for whatever reason.

Ok, I gotta stop myself from repeatedly posting here. But I get kinda excited when I feel I'm on the verge of solving (or improving) my never-ending problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #37
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I was so excited, but the MRI showed nothing. Apparently everything is OK. This is good news, isn't it? But I was hoping it'd reveal something.

Yesterday I remembered something: about a year ago, I tried doing some DB windmills for shoulder stability. I would've tried the Turkish Get-ups but had a wrist injury that didn't let me push my hand off the floor, so I decided to try windmills since they are a little similar, at least shoulder-wise. I had worked up to 73# x5 reps and I think I quit because I developed a tremendous low back pain. Looking back, the pain was right there, where I am now theorizing I have atrophied muscles. Oddly enough, in the Quadratus Lumborum article I found, it says KB Windmills work it. It kindof makes sense... so maybe I can try Windmills with lighter weight, higher reps? I need to find ways to work that area specifically... it seems hard from what I've found so far.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #38
Steven Low

Profile:

May be a good idea to try them and vid yourself to see if you see any compensation pattern differences from side to side as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Last friday I did Windmills, 25# dumbells, 3 sets of 10 each side. I'm gonna keep doing 3x10 3x/week adding weight little by little. Yesterday I used 30#. Will continue with 5# increments as long as I can get all reps. This has made what feels like my QL muscle quite sore, it feels kinda good. I have also started doing planks since I absolutely SUCK at them. Today I tried 3 sets with rest in between them and I got 0:53 in the third... wtf? I truly suck at something others find so easy. I guess my abs are weaker than I thought.

I'm still doing the Egoscue routine nearly everyday and I've been getting a sports massage 2x/week for the past... well, week. This week I'll do it again, it seems to have improved a tight knot I had in my left upper back, probably related to my ever-loose left shoulder. Yesterday I tried chin-ups and I felt my scapular retractors quite sore from last week. Very odd. Today it feels good though. But I'm guessing some stuff is working better around that area since the massages.

I was once told by a Z-health practitioner that my left lat is my right glute, and a whole theory of an "X" in the body and how "opposing joints" are related, etc. Maybe my weak rotator cuff and loose left shoulder has something to do with my problematic right hip? LOL, I'm so desperate I've gotten to the point where I believe anything I'm told!

Anyways, my current plan is to continue what I'm doing, and over the next few weeks I will have hopefully improved both my plank times and my Windmill poundage, which I hope strengthens the QL... and through all of this I'm doing no lower body training. Well, the Egoscue routine has some Bird Dogs and glute bridges.. and I'm playing tennis 1-2x/week, so I hope the lower body wont shrink in the mean time After a few weeks of all this mobility, stretching and strengthening of the core muscles (QL and abs specifically), I will try a lower body session or two and see how my body reacts, but in the mean time still nothing. Dang I miss deadlifting. Just when I had gotten a PR at 300#x5 a couple of weeks ago. (I know, pathetic for a 180 pound guy, but still, PR's make me happy).
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #40
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Steven and Mike:

Could this be a nerve issue? I have been getting a sports massage 2x a week, and they have used the TENS unit on my left upper back and rolling some knots in there that I think are messing my shoulder somehow. Anyways, just for kicks I asked to have the TENS unit applied on my right hamstring since it has been painful for two weeks now, ever since one short sprint. (And I suspect it wasn't healing because I continued stretching it and working it out with windmills, but I stopped now so it heals). Something odd happened: at about two different moments, and for maybe 30 seconds or 1 minute, the TENS unit caused me a little bit of pain, like the pain from an electric shock. Just to make sure I had them apply the TENS next session and same thing happened. That makes me wonder: could this be a nerve issue???

I was just reading this from a Piriformis article: "If there is a positive test to the straight leg lift (causing sciatica like pain), externally rotate the leg to see if this lessens the pain. This could indicate compression of the sciatic nerve by the piriformis."

This happens to me. At first I tought it was because of tight medial hamstring that it hurt more. But the truth is, all this time I have been stretching the hammies and I think I shouldn't have - they are weak already, and this right one is even MORE flexible than the left. So inflexibility in the hamstring isn't likely the cause. Same with the glute... after years of sitting with my right leg crossed over my left, and my wallet in that back right pocket, the right glute is very flexible. I suspect the external rotators are indeed tight because I have less ROM internally rotating this right leg. But all stretches for the piriformis that I have found, seem to stretch the glute instead, and like I said, my right glute is very flexible already. This is confusing. Maybe I am not stretching the piriformis right??

I read that the sciatic nerve goes right under the piriformis, so maybe that is what I have... a compressed nerve by this tight muscle??? I will start rolling on it with a tennis ball and see if that helps. It hurts "good" when I do that.