CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Erik Preston

Profile:
I'm getting solid weekly coaching on the Oly lifts, (Strength and Conditioning Coach for the University of Pennsylvania) and I noticed that he is not (at this point) coaching me to jump and land on my explosive 2nd pull. He has me working on the pull from high thigh, mid thigh, knee level, then just below the knee. Some days he lets me clean, others--just high pulls. On fun days, he has me hang clean to front squat to push press to back squat = 1 rep. Others, just OHS to exhaustion. He won't let me pull from the ground yet. He is focusing particularly on my explosive shrug as the trigger for my hip extension to a rise on my toes. His quote is, "Imagine you are a rocket ship--I want you to ignite out of the building". Wanting to be a disciple of all things Burgener, how do I reconcile the non-jumping, and for those seasoned Oly-lifters out there, where does my coach's plan fit in with the Bergener methodology...

Last, can someone explain the "scoop" and the double knee bend?

Thx much.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Well, as someone also new to OLY I will not try to explain the scoop or double knee bend, however from what I have seen there are two main methods of teaching OLY to new lifters. One, that I have seen in Jim Schmizt's (SP) training system is how you describe, no jump to start, pulling from the hang position and mostly power snatches, etc. The other is just to go ahead and teach the whole movement at one time. I started with Schimzt's system and then found a coach fairly close who had me doing full squat snatches during my first encounter. If you have personal instruction that you trust you should do what he says IMO.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Mike teaches that oly lifting is jumping with a barbell in your hands. You must execute the double knee bend in order to get into jumping position after the first pull. That said, as soon as the jump finishes, i.e. the feet leave the ground, it's time to pull yourself under the bar. Air time is wasted time.

There are different ways to teach the O-lifts. Mike does not start beginners with pulls. Some coaches do. Neither method is wrong nor right; there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Pulls tend to develop lifters who extend fully but use their arms too much, and don't go under the bar quickly (pull too long). Mike's method risks having the lifter cut his pulls short, but it does make them quick and confident getting under the bar.

From what I understand, the Bulgarians teach from the ground up. It works for them, apparently. There's more than one way to skin this cat.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
Mike Burgener

Profile:
erik....i like the rocket ship thing....good stuff!! the jump...imagine jumping...going down and then up...that is the scoop or the double knee bend...down and up! that is what creates momentum on the bar...i imagine your coach is on the right track by having you pull...do not use your arms, but use your legs....it will happen automatically!! trust me. good luck.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:41 AM   #5
Erik Preston

Profile:
Wow--thanks much Coach, for the words of encouragement. The journey is the destination...