CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Patrick Stern

Profile:
How much is to much training (BJJ + CF)?

I have been doing crossfit for two years, and when I go back to school I add two days BJJ practice to the schedule. I was planning on using the BJJ practice as one of my WOD days. The BJJ class is scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursday and the first hour is technique,and the last hour is sparring. The practice is very intense, draining.

The main point is, should I do both at the same time? Just curious if anyone does the same, and how well did you recover? Or should I cut back the training?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Dane Grace

Profile:
Re: How much is to much training (BJJ + CF)?

I've done/do both. Make sure to get your sleep and eat enough and you should be fine. The ultimate advice, and this is a catch-all for nearly everything, is to listen to your body. If you feel run down and demotivated, rest.

Again, take this for what it's worth. If your personal schedule doesn't permit both, you'll have to remove training days. I fit a full time job, a social life and 3 days of Crossfit/SS, 3 days of BJJ and one rest day. It's a tight schedule, but manageable.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

Right now I do BJJ on M/W and MMA on Tues or Thurs, in addition to following Rippetoe's Texas Method MWF. I do the strength training around noon and BJJ starts around 1830. I have found that I am making strength gains, although they are much slower than they would be if I dedicated myself solely to the Texas Method. Also, my BJJ is improving with every session (I'm a beginner). Despite all that, I feel like I am constantly sore as ****, and can never seem to get enough sleep, even though I get 8-8.5 hours a night. I feel like I am eating a huge excess of calories, but I am still hovering around 190#, trying to get to 200.

My recommendation is to count your BJJ sessions as your WODs for that day, because rolling is great metcon. If you wanted to do some strength lifts that day, go ahead, but do them as early in the day as possible.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Josh Hill

Profile:

I try to do CF in the mornings on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and Sunday

I do BJJ in the evenings on Monday and Thursday, and in the morning on Saturday. Depending on how my body feels, I'll sometimes do BJJ on Wednesday evening instead of Thursday - this gives me 2 whole rest days a week (Tuesday and Thursday), but it also has me doing a 2-a-day 2x a week.

Every so often I'll skip the Sunday CF if my body doesn't feel like it's recovering enough.

Eat plenty and get lots of sleep.

Here's what my schedule looks like:

Monday: CF @ 6am, BJJ @ 7pm
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: CF @ 6am
Thursday: BJJ @ 8pm
Friday: CF @ 6am
Saturday: BJJ @ 10am
Sunday: CF @ 10am
Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Dane Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Goodwin View Post
Despite all that, I feel like I am constantly sore as ****, and can never seem to get enough sleep, even though I get 8-8.5 hours a night. I feel like I am eating a huge excess of calories, but I am still hovering around 190#, trying to get to 200.
I am by not means and expert, but I've read enough of Rippetoe to relay some"common suggestions", which are:

1. Sleep: Sleep more. You may need as many as 10 hours a night.
2. Food: Are you drinking milk? If you're trying to gain weight, you'll have to eat a huge caloric excess, to the point that you'll put on some fat. You can always lean that out later.

Again, I'm not speaking for Rip nor would I even try. Those seem to be things he suggests a lot on his forums. Basically, his advice boils down to: "Eat more, sleep more, drink the milk and move lots of metal shoved on to the ends of barbells below parallel."
Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
John Orcutt

Profile:

There is something to be said for frame of mind. If you head into it thinking "gosh, I'm really working out a lot. Maybe too much," you will most likely find that you end up either hurt, burnt out, or something along those lines. Instead if you find yourself thirsting for more you will probably be ok, just make sure your stretch. Sleep, eat, stay hydrated, and have fun. Enjoy the pain, it is a reminder that you are alive.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Grace View Post
I am by not means and expert, but I've read enough of Rippetoe to relay some"common suggestions", which are:

1. Sleep: Sleep more. You may need as many as 10 hours a night.
2. Food: Are you drinking milk? If you're trying to gain weight, you'll have to eat a huge caloric excess, to the point that you'll put on some fat. You can always lean that out later.

Again, I'm not speaking for Rip nor would I even try. Those seem to be things he suggests a lot on his forums. Basically, his advice boils down to: "Eat more, sleep more, drink the milk and move lots of metal shoved on to the ends of barbells below parallel."
Yea, I agree that I could definitely use more sleep. Due to my work schedule, 8-8.5 is usually the most I can get. I try and catch up on the weekends and get 10+ hours. I am drinking milk, at about half GOMAD. I would estimate my caloric intake at about 4,000. I've been doing this for about two weeks now and I am still hovering at 190# (I'm 6'2"). Maybe I simply can't put on weight while doing BJJ/MMA three or four days a week?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
Dane Grace

Profile:

Or drink a full GOMAD. That's another 1000 calories or so. In regard to sleeping, I empathize. Oh god, do I empathize. My solution is to eat at my desk and use my lunch break to nap in my car. It's not the best sleep, but it definitely makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

I wish I could sleep during my lunch break. That's when I'm doin my strength training for the Texas Method. I might try full GOMAD, but I don't know how I would bring that much milk into work everyday. I don't have access to a fridge.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Thomas Stevenson

Profile:

I just started doing BJJ right after my WOD MWF took me two weeks to adapt now i'm fine. I get a little run down but two days in a row off helps me bigtime. My problem is more swelling in my knees because of other issues but it works for me. I'm on my feet all day and don't get the sleep I always should. Changing jobs soon so it should help. and I've found time to nap during the day.