CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Sunny Norwood

Profile:
Female Fighters Making Weight

I had my first BJJ tournament a couple months ago. I worried for an entire month about cutting 7lbs. I didn't realize exactly how much I would lose through water weight. But it was all for nothing as I had to move up a 1-2 weight classes to get a fight.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any specific details for female fightes and cutting weight. I would think some difference exists as our anatomy and physiology is somewhat different. But I haven't been able to find anything pointing to female fighters specifically, at least not with much scientific validity.

When I do forum searches, it is from/for male fighters and what's typically done for them. With all the knowledge that exists out there, if it were able to translate directly to females, those ideas would have worked for Gina Carano by now (btw I can't wait to see her fight at a catch weight in August).
Old 07-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Dane Grace

Profile:
Re: Female Fighters Making Weight

This doesn't answer your question per se, but it's worth considering. Most of my female friends that compete don't do so within their weight bracket. They usually have to move up to fill out a bracket, or go home with a conciliatory trophy. If I were you, I'd take a look at the bracket that tends to have the most competitors, and shoot for that. It looks like that it's above you, which means get strong, stay healthy and compete there.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

Profile:

Berardi's Grappler's Guide to Sports Nutrition is a must-have and it works for women as well as men. Gina's missing weight has to do with her lack of professionalism (as she has missed weight numerous times at DIFFERENT weights) not about women cutting... In fact I wrote an article about this (w/fs) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-making-weight
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Sunny Norwood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Berardi's Grappler's Guide to Sports Nutrition is a must-have and it works for women as well as men. Gina's missing weight has to do with her lack of professionalism (as she has missed weight numerous times at DIFFERENT weights) not about women cutting... In fact I wrote an article about this (w/fs) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-making-weight
Awesome! Thanks for the resources, I'll start checking those ASAP. I'm not to happy about Gina or Cyborg missing weight. They're some of the more recognizable names in women's MMA and it would be great if they could get everything together. Either that or we just need some new women to rep the sport for us.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Agreed, Gina's problem is not actually with cutting weight, it seems to be her attitude.

My experience in BJJ tournaments was that the weight brackets for the most part then (this was a few years ago) were in 15lb jumps, so it didn't work for me to move up or down. I just stayed healthy and was right in the middle of my bracket. Had I been near the bottom of the bracket, I might have dropped a few pounds to move down.

That being said, I've had lots of friends kill themselves to drop weight and then they get to the tournament, not enough girls show up, and they have to move up a weight class anyway. There's more girls doing and competing in BJJ now than ever, but it's still not a lot.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Sunny Norwood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Agreed, Gina's problem is not actually with cutting weight, it seems to be her attitude.

My experience in BJJ tournaments was that the weight brackets for the most part then (this was a few years ago) were in 15lb jumps, so it didn't work for me to move up or down. I just stayed healthy and was right in the middle of my bracket. Had I been near the bottom of the bracket, I might have dropped a few pounds to move down.

That being said, I've had lots of friends kill themselves to drop weight and then they get to the tournament, not enough girls show up, and they have to move up a weight class anyway. There's more girls doing and competing in BJJ now than ever, but it's still not a lot.
That is where I find myself. I usually am in the bottom 7-5 lbs of the bracket. I just started, so I'm trying to get a feel for how the brackets are filled. But the last tournament I dropped 7 lbs (no drastic measures, it was over a month) only to have to move from featherweight to middleweight for no-gi and up to lightweight for gi. I still feel like I should be able to compete against the heavier girls despite my own weight. But I'm not going to deny the advantage of outweighing your oponent if all other attributes are equal.