CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Oh Brock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
No, of course he shouldn't. We've seen similar outburst/antics from other fighters, it's nothing new. The only new thing was disrespecting a sponsor.
Yes, we have. Most of those guys were not well liked and are history in the UFC. It is a bit different in that Lesnar is the most high-profile jerk we've seen so far. Tito tended that way - he's gone and may have burned his bridges. Good riddance. I kind of view Melvin Gulliard in the same light. Luckily he's never been successful enough to matter. I can't remember the last time I saw a fighter flip off the fans though. It seems like it happened maybe one other time. Not a good strategy.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #22
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
That being said, fedor loses to Brock as does carwin. Overeem is his biggest threat. It is sad but true but he is just to big and athletic for fedor to overcome.
I'm a little worried for Fedor as well. Primarily because of his age. It is incredible how Fedor always manages to find a way to win though. It is iffy.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
Matt Rexin

Profile:

So who should Brock fight next then, realistically? I'm not all that interested in Mir-Lesnar III, the last fight was nowhere near close. Carwin is the logical choice. Velasquez and even Kongo are possibilities. The one problem with the heavyweights is the lack of depth in the division. There are simply not enough young guys coming up and all the established names are getting too old.

It might simply be a case of having to wait for someone to come up through the system to pose a legitimate threat.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #24
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
Yes, we have. Most of those guys were not well liked and are history in the UFC. It is a bit different in that Lesnar is the most high-profile jerk we've seen so far. Tito tended that way - he's gone and may have burned his bridges. Good riddance. I kind of view Melvin Gulliard in the same light. Luckily he's never been successful enough to matter. I can't remember the last time I saw a fighter flip off the fans though. It seems like it happened maybe one other time. Not a good strategy.
Nick Diaz does it every fight.

Heels are just as important to the business as a face. With that said, I don't view Lesnar as a heel, I just think in the heat of the moment, in Mir's hometown, and in reaction to the boos, he just lost his head.

I was at Mandalay Bay from Sunday to Friday and all I kept hearing was how much people hate Lesnar, for no other reason than because he's a no talent roid head. It's the furthest thing from the truth, so the people who boo are just as bad as he is.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #25
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
So who should Brock fight next then, realistically? I'm not all that interested in Mir-Lesnar III, the last fight was nowhere near close. Carwin is the logical choice. Velasquez and even Kongo are possibilities. The one problem with the heavyweights is the lack of depth in the division. There are simply not enough young guys coming up and all the established names are getting too old.

It might simply be a case of having to wait for someone to come up through the system to pose a legitimate threat.
I don't think White wants to feed his youngsters (Carwin and Cain) to the lion.

I think he'll make a strong push for Fedor and/or Barnett. Fedor has already stated his desire to fight Lesnar.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
I kind of view Melvin Gulliard in the same light.

You and I are on the same page. I was thinking of Melvin and Tito when I typed my last......
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
The next TUF is supposed to be all (most?) heavyweights.

Is Lesnar an *******? yes. This trait is not unique to him. His history as a "WWF" loudmouth certainly taints his level of *******. What remains? He beat the hell out of Mir. He owned that entire fight. I don't think many people in the UFC are excited to get in the ring with him. I saw his training videos, and for the most part does a pretty damned cool regimen for what it's worth. He is friggin FAST for someone pushing that much weight.

I think the main reason he is in the UFC is so Dana can take a chunk out of the WWFs coffer. Get those fans to be UFC fans instead. He's a slippery slope into MMA.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #28
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
The next TUF is supposed to be all (most?) heavyweights.

Is Lesnar an *******? yes. This trait is not unique to him. His history as a "WWF" loudmouth certainly taints his level of *******. What remains? He beat the hell out of Mir. He owned that entire fight. I don't think many people in the UFC are excited to get in the ring with him. I saw his training videos, and for the most part does a pretty damned cool regimen for what it's worth. He is friggin FAST for someone pushing that much weight.

I think the main reason he is in the UFC is so Dana can take a chunk out of the WWFs coffer. Get those fans to be UFC fans instead. He's a slippery slope into MMA.
There's no doubt Lesnar will attract gate, but Lesnar came to UFC, not vice versa.

Dana almost didn't sign him because he thought it was a waste of money.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #29
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

I actually thought it was funny.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #30
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
That being said, fedor loses to Brock as does carwin. Overeem is his biggest threat. It is sad but true but he is just to big and athletic for fedor to overcome.
I disagree.

Brock is a monster and a freak no doubt, but he relies on his size and intimidation WAY to much. Fedor will not be intimidated and will be able to match Brock with his freakish Russian bear strength. Brock will find himself submitted, just like every other bigger fighter Fedor has faced.

The upcoming Fedor vs Barnett fight will be interesting though. I think Fedor will have it and once he does a fight between Lesner and Fedor seems almost unavoidable.... hopefully