CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Chris Santilllo

Profile:
Talking Re: MMA and street fights??

My expeirence street fights are all about element of suprise. Every fight I was in (a whole wopping 4 lol) I never waited for the dude to make a move or do thats stupid pushing stuff or get in their face. Once I knew It was gonna be a fight Ide always make sure to throw the first punch when he was off guard. There is no rules in street fighting. The problems MMA fighters nowadays (in my opinion) the sport has evolutionized to the point it doesnt bother worrying about blocking those illegal moves that are in MMA. My friend kicked the **** out of a so-called mma fighter (so the guy said drunkenly). My friend just kicked him in the nuts and then ended up knocking him out headbutting him. I mean if I HAD to fight an mma dude one the street (which I wouldnt btw lol) Ide look for a weapon first then do what my friend did and aim for the nuts. Thats the thing with street fighting...no rules. But then again I do come from a somehwhat Krav Maga backround.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #12
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: MMA and street fights??

I would leave.

If it came down to it I would fight. Someone threatened to stab me the other day. Yes I left that situation and do my best to avoid them.

I can punch pretty hard, that doesn't mean I'm going to go around fighting people.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #13
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Lets face it, just about none of us have been in any more then one (if that) street fights where we were really fighting to avoid serious injury or death, so very few of us can say this bunch of techniques or that bunch of techniques are effective.

To that extent, it's hard to say which martial art is going to be "the best".

In saying that, I've worked as an LEO and I've trained in a variety of marital arts over my life, to a high level in a couple, so I've had the chance to "test" numerous techniques and martial philosophies.

If you are learning a martial art for self defence, the most important thing is finding a class which teaches aggression (fairly common) and dealing with the unexpected/unusual (not so common).

So finding classes which train in the dark, on concrete, wet grass, with multiple attackers, etc are all beneficial.

The aggressive application of technique, and being truly accustomed to dealing with the unexpected is the best training you could get.

Also consider finding an art which teaches joint locking, as being able to control someone without turning them into mincemeat is great from a legal standpoint, if it is situationally appropriate.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I used to work with a guy who was a fairly low level aikidoka. He and two other friends of mine, both tough dudes. ended up fighting 15ish British paratroopers in a bar. My other two friends were beaten badly. But the aikidoka took a guy down went down with him and let his opponents friends kick their own guy until he found a way out. He got a black eye. The point is grappling arts not good against multiple opponents is only true if you're going to actually fight multiple opponents. To back up what Katherine said, I wasn't at the pub trying to steal the paratroopers women, as a result, not a scratch.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
IBut the aikidoka took a guy down went down with him and let his opponents friends kick their own guy until he found a way out. He got a black eye. The point is grappling arts not good against multiple opponents is only true if you're going to actually fight multiple opponents.
Heh. Human shield techniques are a huge part of multiple attacker training in aikido. Ideally, *every* engagement within a multiple attacker situation should take out at least two people: the attacker, and the guy he collides with on his way down. As I said, there's more to grappling arts than rolling around on the ground.

Katherine
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
michael Galietta

Profile:

Quote:
In saying that, I've worked as an LEO and I've trained in a variety of marital arts over my life, to a high level in a couple, so I've had the chance to "test" numerous techniques and martial philosophies.

If you are learning a martial art for self defence, the most important thing is finding a class which teaches aggression (fairly common) and dealing with the unexpected/unusual (not so common).

So finding classes which train in the dark, on concrete, wet grass, with multiple attackers, etc are all beneficial.

The aggressive application of technique, and being truly accustomed to dealing with the unexpected is the best training you could get.

Also consider finding an art which teaches joint locking, as being able to control someone without turning them into mincemeat is great from a legal standpoint, if it is situationally appropriate.
I agree with Michael...I am also a LEO with the same varied MA background. Every art has good stuff in it...but...I think Systema is terrific (http://www.russianmartialart.com) WFS It has you regularly dealing with the unexpected and multiple attackers. The only thing it does differently than Michael's point is the aggression angle...Systema teaches you to be able to relax more in the tensest of situations. I know a few CFer's study it so maybe others can weigh in.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
Dane Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Heh. Human shield techniques are a huge part of multiple attacker training in aikido. Ideally, *every* engagement within a multiple attacker situation should take out at least two people: the attacker, and the guy he collides with on his way down. As I said, there's more to grappling arts than rolling around on the ground.

Katherine
Bingo. I know a few BJJ guys that are also bouncers and have used chokes standing. My friend pulled off a standing Darce last week (admittedly, the guy was wearing a leather jacket). I think grappling styles get bad press as "realistic self defense" styles because people tend to treat techniques as gospel. A little improvisation goes a long way.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Kevin Trangone

Profile:

One of the things we have fun with at the BJJ school I train at is team fights. We divide the class into numerically-close teams with nearly the same skill levels and have at it until only one team is left. There are plenty of multiple opponent situations. Sure, there isn't any striking, but protecting your neck, arms and legs all at once is quite a task.

Another benefit I've found is that-which I am sure is true with all arts-training with beginners is an amazing learning experience. Ask anyone who has been training any art for a while how spastic a new member can be when it comes time to spar.

It is also worth noting that the large time spent on the mats sweating makes them very slippery.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #19
John Orcutt

Profile:

The OP mentioned something along the lines of Krav Maga, and then I saw another post about being threatened with a knife. Someone else mentioned Krav being developed by elite Israelis. OP if you learn Krav with your friend, they will teach you how to shove the attackers knife back through his own gut, while you break his wind pipe and dislocate his knee at the same time. Then it says to run. Goju Ryu (sp?) is a Japanese art that a lot of civil patrols learn that is very similar to Krav. If (and I am addressing the OP here) you believe that you’re going to have to DEFEND yourself constantly in street fights then you should learn one of those two. If you want a killer workout, have fun, and still be formidable pick up BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai or the like.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #20
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Good point John.
I mean really are any of us going to be in constant danger of being drawn into a streetfight? I mean if you are maybe you should rethink who you're hanging out with or what you're doing.
If you live in a rough place, then that's a different story obviously.