CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
Oliver Gould

Profile:
Re: Mixing CFSB and bjj/mma?

Quote:
Plus, focusing on strength heavily has the nastsy side affect of adding slow twitch muscle fibers (not really what a fighter needs) and will (generally) reduce overall flexibility.
Not sure where you've been getting your information on lifting, but developing your strength up to a 400 pound squat or 500 pound deadlift isn't going to limit your fast twitch development at all. In fact, it will contribute to it. Serious athletes in football and other explosive sports lift well above those numbers and they clearly don't have a problem with explosiveness.

As for strength vs. metcon in MMA, I'm no pro coach or ranked grappler, but here's my thoughts. Metcon is very important in MMA, no doubt. However, strength is also very important, particularly pound for pound strength. The top guys you see in competitions are very strong. The fighters making it to pro careers are very strong. It used to be that people with good BJJ games could win over stronger fighters because most people's BJJ was rudimentary at best. The more MMA has evolved, the more obvious it has become that strong fighters have an advantage. Skill sets being roughly equal, the stronger fighter tends to win.

Strength is a very persistent adaptation that takes a long time to develop. Developing strength beyond a novice progression takes focus. I would never recommend that a grappler with a tournament or competition on the horizon should focus on strength over metcon. However, if you're not actively preparing for competition, it makes sense to develop your strength during that period.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
David Nittler

Profile:

Oliver, I think I agree with just about everything you state there.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't advocating omitting strength training, I was merely putting forth the idea that a fighter, training for fighting might be best served with doses of main site programming as opposed to the strength biased programming.

I agree with you that the pound for pound stronger fighter is going to have an advantage if skill sets are roughly equal. I would just add that the fighter who "weathers the storm" with a higher metcon capacity will also have an advantage.

Maybe I am mistaken about heavy weight lifting increasing the sectional desnsity of slow-twitch muscle fibers. I don't have any formal training or education in that field, but I've always held that moving light weights quickly promotes fast-twitch muscle growth and moving heavy weights slower (take your 400 lb deadlift for example) is going to promote the slow-twitch muscle fiber growth.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nittler View Post
Maybe I am mistaken about heavy weight lifting increasing the sectional desnsity of slow-twitch muscle fibers. I don't have any formal training or education in that field, but I've always held that moving light weights quickly promotes fast-twitch muscle growth and moving heavy weights slower (take your 400 lb deadlift for example) is going to promote the slow-twitch muscle fiber growth.
I suspect that's a drastic oversimplification, and that it fails completely when you consider a strength program that includes the (extremely explosive) olympic lifts, much less a strength program placed in the context of something like Crossfit (CFSB/CFFB/CFWhatever), or even BJJ itself.

Katherine