CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Help me for training a friend

heck, if flaunting her body in a little bikini is what she wants, she could get a job as a stripper and not have to lose any weight. Sorry, just had to throw that out there.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hey bro,

good to see you sticking by your friend and trying to help her out.

If that's you in your avatar you look pretty fit, so this is going to be obvious advice, but changing body composition is all about diet.

I'm thinking your friend is going to want a straightforward diet that doesn't require too much mucking around.

The anabolic diet is known for its' quick results, is easy to implement (after the indoc phase) and there is a huge thread on it in the nutrition section for guidance.

I'd have her take before and after pics, because hopefully she'll look a whole lot better without losing too much weight, and you don't want her getting ****ed at you if she can't see she's losing weight. Photos will be a better guide to success then the scales.

I hope your friend does well and stays safe.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
I understand what you guys are saying i really do, trust me i dont want her doing what she is doing ether. But she is going to do it, im her friend not her mother, shes got it in her head that she wants to work this job and is really excited about it. Ive tried to change her mind but its a no go. Im trying to get her to do it the most healthy way possible, because if i dont give her a healthy alternative she will prolly end up just starving herself, chain smoking to curve hunger, ect. I dont mean to sound like i dont understand where you guys are coming from, i really do. I just need something constructive instead of lecturing her about things i think she should be doing. I mean she came to me on this because she got the job, if i tell her to quit the job and do what i think is best, no way shes going to listen.

I was thinking maybe just light wods and zoning but smaller portions. I really hate having to do this because for me i try to do most food and most intense wod's possible to gain weight...doing the opposite seems unnatural to me...

Anyway if anyone has any ideas on what i should do beside trying to change her mind about the job let me know...THANKS!
andrew, i hope you don't take this as piling on, because it's obvious that you aren't coming at this nonchalantly or naively, and that you care about your friend. i think the feedback you're getting is saying that caring about your friend means NOT helping her on this.

think of it this way: imagine you had a client who came to you and said, "andrew, i have some unhealthy goals. will you help me meet them? oh -- and, i'm going to keep smoking, too. okay?"

would you help a client meet unhealthy goals? or would you say that you'll try to support them now, no matter what, but that you would only be able to help them if they had healthy goals in mind?

i'm guessing that you're a stand-up guy and that you would do the latter.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If they are asking her to slim down, more than likely she is skinny-fat right? She may be slim, but she probably isn't very toned either and so probably carries some extra weight/fat.

Zone would probably be a good idea and not a huge change. Gotta watch about going too low on body fat or she may use a lot of her curviness. Curviness is probably what helps the tipping in a place like that.

Getting her into some scaled down CF would probably do her some good. BrandX stuff meets CrossFit Elements stuff. She'd probably enjoy that. Introduce the KoolAid slowly, ya don't want to put her off from Day1.

These reccomendations might irk some people on what CF'ers look for in beauty, especially the mainsite day to day thoughts but the main point is if she is working in a place like that she more than likely wants to maintain her curves versus blast them away like some CFgals ( not all ).

It's your call, but if your gonna find any of the CF gals to show her what it can do, I wouldn't go with the muscled out low body fat gals. That might just turn her off. Perhaps deal with it at a later point if she gets hooked on the CF Kool-Aid.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

"I am here if you need me to help you improve your body composition/physique, but I will not help you meet arbitrary unhealthy weight loss goals."
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Tom Nguyen

Profile:

this thread is worthless without pics! seriously...
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #17
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
heck, if flaunting her body in a little bikini is what she wants, she could get a job as a stripper and not have to lose any weight. Sorry, just had to throw that out there.
If only that were an avenue for me after Crossfit and eating right gives me the body I want. But we don't have any "Ladies Clubs" around here. Just gentleman's clubs. *sniff* I'm being held back from my life dream.

And are they really asking her to lose weight?

"Legally we can't ask you to lose weight. We just want you to tighten."

"So you want me to lose weight?"

"We're not asking that. Tighten...."
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

haha knocked up quote?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
haha knocked up quote?
DING! We have a winner! I was hoping somebody would get it.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
I still stand by my original response. Train her to be fit and healthy. The losing weight part, she'll have to be on her own, because as a friend and trainer, I wouldn't help her do it.
+1

Brian MacKenzie talked about a decision he made years ago similar to this: to train his clients as he saw fit, not as they saw comfortable.

If she's not going to get fit and lose bf% while likely gaining weight...don't get involved