CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #41
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
Re: Friend says that Football players are greater athletes than decathletes...

The announcers dubbed Bryan Clay "the greatest athlete in the world." They also dub the 105 kg+ gold medal champion "the world's strongest man/woman." There are a select few that can deadlift/squat more than them, but the title still stands, just as it does for the decathlete. It's their title, take it FWIW.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #42
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

It's a title thats bestowed as much for tradition as it is for hyperbole. In a matter of speaking Byran Clay is the worlds greatest athlete. Since the decathlon is track and field, which is also known as athletics, and he's the best all around in the world at athletics, he is thus the worlds greatest athlete.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #43
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
The announcers dubbed Bryan Clay "the greatest athlete in the world." They also dub the 105 kg+ gold medal champion "the world's strongest man/woman." There are a select few that can deadlift/squat more than them, but the title still stands, just as it does for the decathlete. It's their title, take it FWIW.
They do generally qualify the "strongest man" title with "at least in the Olympic sense."

One could make a case that the greatest decathlete is the greatest athlete period, but NBC really loves the moniker "world's greatest athlete." Wonder if they would use it as much if it were a non-American gold medalist.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #44
Dan Schaal

Profile:

I am very biased! I would say that Decathletes are the best atheletes, period. But the second best, and here is where I am biased is ----- ICE HOCKEY GOALIE (WHICH I PLAY)! You need every skill set - strength, speed, hand/eye, etc. ALL THIS WHILE BEING THE BEST SKATER ON THE TEAM! The forwards and D-man in hockey are also great athletes. You have 45-60 second shifts, where you are going balls to the wall, checking and avoiding checks, while skating moving the puck, taking and giving passes and shooting the puck. All this while you will have someone continually hitting you.

Basketball is a close second to hockey in terms of the great athletes amongst the big four.

Like I said, I am a hockey player (and goalie) so flame away.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #45
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

How much aerobic endurance do you need though?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #46
Martin McSweeney

Profile:

How about Longevity? Is that a metric?

Most pro football players are dead by 51-53.

Is that good for the body?

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...3/122610.shtml

I've read before that life expectancy is 53 years for someone who has played 3 years in the NFL. That's remarkably close to the life expectancy for a cyclist who has ridden the Tour De France.

Martin
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #47
Andres Gordo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Phelps is the greatest Olympian of all time, or will be by the time he's done. Lets not forget he;s only 22, and will be 26 at London in 2012. He could win 5 or 6 more gold medals at those games. If he won 6 there, his total would be 19 gold medals. It would be hard to argue against that amount of hardware.
Phelps won 8 medals in this Olympics and 6 before.
8+6=14+ the 6 that you said is 20 not 19. The power of adding .

It doesn't matter how many medals he wins, he wont be in my eyes the BEST hands down Olympian of all time. In swimming yes of course. But not in all the sports.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #48
Scott Borre

Profile:

If he comes back in 4 years and wins those medals, it really makes it hard to argue for Carl Lewis or Paavo Nurmi. But also, its always difficult to compare one athlete to another, and one's great accomplishments in one sport, to anothers great accomplishments in another sport(s).