CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i guess the stares are not so much of a problem as taking up the only rack for 15 minutes (or whatever) while i do singles. maybe i should get in there before the lazy undergrads wake up...
Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Get in the gym, and get after it!

Re: stares--They're not staring at you so much as staring at themselves. (This may be literal if you’re in an area with mirrors.) I imagine some think: "WTF am I DOING!?", that some part of them clicks with what you're doing while they sit there waiting to do yet another set of one-armed bicep curls by crouching behind an incline bench. Others: "WTF is HE doing?", with curiosity and maybe some superiority. For these, you know better and can feel superior.

There's nothing wrong with feeling superior when you're right! Right on.

Re: being weak--Everyone starts out weak relative to where he or she will end up after weight training. If you don’t lift, you’ll stay weak. Eventually, believe me, the stares won’t matter at all to you. But you’ll still be weak after the years it may take for life to teach you or for you to realize that those stares really don’t matter.

Then you’ll be another one of those “older” guys somewhere on the other side of 35 (gasp!) wondering why he wasted all those good hormonal, energetic years worrying about what other people thought instead of getting strong. “WTF was I thinking?”

He’ll be wondering this while he’s staring at some young buck in the gym struggling to squat 135 for 5 and will be shaking his head. At himself.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
James R. Climer

Profile:
Changing my body really changed my life. I can't encourage you enough to make the same changes. -I read an awesome article by Henry Rollins once regarding this very same phenomenon.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/arch...php/t-262.html

Go to the gym, chances are you'll meet someone to workout, learn and get stronger with. Then you can pass it along.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
James,
Beautifull story. I like it.

Andrew,
Your opinion of yourself should not come from the opinion of others but from your own heart and soul. Give it your best shot and go for it.
Have fun and healthy training.
Best wish, Johan
Old 03-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #15
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
what about

day 1 WOD

day 2 5x5 Push/Pull/Leg (Gym)

day 3 WOd

day 4 rest

day 5 WOD

day 6 5x5 push/pull/leg (gym)

day 7 WOD

what do you think?
Old 03-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
David Wood

Profile:

Andrew: Use the Search function for the phrase "ME Black Box" . . . (the "ME" stands for "Max Effort")

The program you've described (substituting the middle day of the three-day WOD cycle) is pretty much exactly that.

My suggestion would be to focus on the "big" lifts, however, for your 5x5 . . . not so much a "push/pull/leg" (too much partitioning of the body and its functions.) Do a Clean and Jerk for your 5 x 5, and you'll have all 3 in one motion.

I'd keep the focus on:
Squats
DL
C&J
Snatch
Weighted Pullups (hold a DB between your knees)

If you're get caught doing a bicep curl, we have to throw you out of the cult!:lol:
Old 03-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #17
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
dude, isn't a clean and jerk like a double-move biceps curl? and a snatch is just another way to say seated incline alternating biceps curl? and a deadlift is where you do a biceps curl off the ground?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #18
John Seiler

Profile:
James, great article. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #19
Jason Steele

Profile:
Andrew-

You aren't as broke as a grad student as you could be as an undergrad (i.e. TA, GA, RA support). When you get into the gym, you need to be focused on what you are doing and not on what everyone else is doing. This focus is one of the most important things, not just in the gym, but everywhere.

You need to do some research on the snatch and C&J if you think they are biceps exercises.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:54 AM   #20
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
jason, its called humor. you know, ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity with the power to evoke laughter. you see, what i did was juxtapose the image of a snatch, which is a very intense total body functional exercise, with the image of a very non-functional exercise, the biceps curl, to create comedic irony.

and actually i am a TA, so i am that broke. i get a tiny stipend for rent and food, and i borrow the rest.

but, thanks for the advice on focus.