CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Jacob Gallaway

Profile:
programming

i am semi new to crossfit. and it has been a great thing to find. the results have been great. been doing it for about seven months. made vast improvement both in wieght to strength ratio and cardiovascular endurance and pretty much everything the thing is i havent exactly been following the program the way it was designed. i do believe the black box is an amazingly useful tool so i am ready to fully commit 100 %. so i was just wondering if i should expect to see many gains from following the program the way its designed. and i was wondering how long is a proper workout time is 10 min really enough for a day when doing something like fran or is there some kind of supplemental exercise. i understand the intensity should be high enough that you should be dead after any wod but it just seems like such a short time. another thing is recovery does every one pretty much follow 3/1 always or do we deviate if our body is extra sore.

any replies are greatly appreciated
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: programming

Yes 10 or even less, like 5 when you get really strong, is enough to give you a solid workout (dont forget the 10 min warm=up leading up to that). as for rest some people add more rest as needed, one program i have seen for when you get to be a more elite level is this

Weeks 1-3:CF WODs
Week 4: CF WOD (1/2 intensity, so half the time OR half the weight etc)
Weeks 5-7: CF WODs
Week 8: Rest

-Robert
Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Do skill work and flexibility plus warmup as stated. That adds another 30-40 minutes at least depending on what you're doing.

Intense workouts are not supposed to take that long.... otherwise they won't be intense.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Do skill work and flexibility plus warmup as stated. That adds another 30-40 minutes at least depending on what you're doing.

Intense workouts are not supposed to take that long.... otherwise they won't be intense.
Steven aside from practicing oly lift techniques, what other skills do you recommend practicing? This is something I want to incorporate now it's off season for my main sport (field hockey).
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Steele View Post
Steven aside from practicing oly lift techniques, what other skills do you recommend practicing? This is something I want to incorporate now it's off season for my main sport (field hockey).
Agility work would probably be good as well as field hockey drills. It doesn't necessarily have to be the usual stuff (gymnastics) like handstands, different tumbling skills or whatever although those will help body awareness and such. CF is definitely flexible that you can and should do sports specific drills so that you get better at your chosen discipline.