CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Effective Strength/CF program

I'd like to share this strength-oriented program I've been on for a few months now, with great success. It is push/CF/CF/rest/pull/CF/rest. Please try it out and tell me what you think.

Program:

Day 1 - Push. Rotate back, overhead, and front squat. Rotate bench press, shoulder press, and weighted dips.

Day 2 - CF main site WOD.

Day 3 - CF main site WOD.

Day 4 - OFF

Day 5 - Pull. Deadlift and weighted pullup. (You could rotate deadlift, snatch, and cleans, but currently I do not.)

Day 6 - CF main site WOD.

Day 7 - Rest. (You could also do CF main site WOD and then rest.)

Commentary:

For me, five days a week is a good balance between work and rest. We all know that three on and one off is a potent mix, and there is one of those cycles in the program. Four lifts and three metcons seems to serve as a good balance between the two. Both strength and metcon gains have been very steady. I take half volume and extra rest days irregularly; just when I can tell I'm fried. It's also very nice to lift first thing after a rest day. This is one aspect of the program that I think contributes to continual lifting gains.

This is a slow lift-based program, but I'm sure you could simply incorporate more O-lifts on the pull day to change the emphasis. I try to do whatever is on the main site, but I admit to skewing the workouts toward the short, heavy stuff when I pick and choose.

If you choose to try it out, please let me know what you think of it. Thanks!