CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
Jon Gregory

Profile:
Re: Greek/Lebanese Food

I saw a programme on TV in UK once where a chef went to a factory where the gyros (kebab as we say) is made. He was actually really impressed with it from every perspective including the quality so you can't always judge from appearance! Personally I don't like it though....I think I had too many as a drunk student!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Spencer James

Profile:

I love Greek and Lebanese food like no other. I think in the US, the meat is generally over-processed and probably has a ton of salt, then of course there is the bread...but there are also a lot of pretty good options. Lebanese salads like tabbouleh and fattoush are mostly just veggies and olive oil (though they can have wheat bulgar and/or pita chips mixed in), and traditional Greek salads like xhoriatiki is just tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta, olive oil, olives. Feta's obviously not paleo, but personally I don't think it's the worst thing you can eat. Hummus isn't paleo, either, but I also think if chickpeas are the worst thing you eat all day, you're doing pretty good. Baba ghanoush can be paleo, depending on how it's made, cause it is mostly just eggplant and olive oil and some seasonings. I hate drawing generalizations about entire countries, but people in Lebanon tend to look pretty damn healthy, so they're obviously doing something right.

Also, at a lot of Greek restaurants in the US you can opt to get a plate of gyro meat with veggies instead of the actual gyro sandwich. This isn't a bad way to go, though again gyro meat in the US is pretty heavily processed. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some gluten thrown in somewhere, so if you're trying to be ultra strict paleo you might want to stay away or at least check the ingredients.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

A decent Greek restaurant will also have meats other than the gyro mystery cone. Pork, lamb, and chicken are all tasty with Greek seasonings.

Katherine
Old 11-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #14
Mike Watson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
A decent Greek restaurant will also have meats other than the gyro mystery cone. Pork, lamb, and chicken are all tasty with Greek seasonings.

Katherine
tradionally, as per my instructor in culinary school, the cone is made with spices, garlic, ground lamb, and shreded that has had the water squeezed out. No grain, don't know about most of the places, but it's pretty easy to make yourself.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

on a related note.. I went to a greek party once [people with origins from Greece, not a fraternity!] and they had this self serve station for lamb. It had a container of raw lamb steaks next to a built-in brick grill.. it was awesome... I hadn't had lamb in a while.. I think the only thing cooler would've been a whole lamb rotating on a spit!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I actually get lamb on a regular basis from my food co-op. I had some lollipop'd chops that turned out terrible, and a number of other assorted cuts that have turned out much better. I have a package of lamb stew meat in the freezer right now- any recommendations on what to do with it?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
It really depends on the source of your gyros and such, the ingredients that are put into it, and the quality of/amount of toppings that are on each.

Don't know? Yeah....that's the problem with buying the majority of your food pre-prepared.

Homemade Greek food is delicious. There's a reason that the Greeks (that eat a traditional Greek diet) are happy, healthy, and longlived. However, I'm pretty sure that a gyro as we see it here in the US has little relationship with traditional Greek food. Kind of like General Tso's Chicken at your neighborhood Chinese place doesn't compare to traditional cuisine....

You realize that Greek restaurants, especially the homestyle ones everywhere I went at least got their "lamb" from whatever protein source they could round up, right? Not many stray dogs in Chania, I'll tell you that.

I bet Greek places in the US are a bit better than that.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
Spencer James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
You realize that Greek restaurants, especially the homestyle ones everywhere I went at least got their "lamb" from whatever protein source they could round up, right? Not many stray dogs in Chania, I'll tell you that.

I bet Greek places in the US are a bit better than that.
There was actually an article on BBC a year or so ago that examined the typical meat makeup of schwarma/doner kebab joints in the UK. The big problem they identified was that a lot of them actually contained pork without identifying it as such, which of course is not Halal for Muslims.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
I actually get lamb on a regular basis from my food co-op. I had some lollipop'd chops that turned out terrible, and a number of other assorted cuts that have turned out much better. I have a package of lamb stew meat in the freezer right now- any recommendations on what to do with it?
Make stew, obviously. I made a goat stew recently with water, hot curry spice, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, onions, etc. In retrospect I would not put cauliflower in stew because it disintegrates into little pieces, but overall it was a good meal.