CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Re: When to stop Dead Lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Sorry Alex, gotta throw the BS flag on your numbers. Powerlifting records here (WFS) shows the US record for raw deadlift at the 82.5 kg weight class at 302.5 kg (665.5 lbs). Donīt know if those are totally up to date, but it shows that there is no way Ben Johnson was deadlift 400 kg (880 lbs), even though I donīt doubt he was pretty strong.

As for the OP, I agree with the above, for what itīs worth. Maybe make deadlift less prominent in training and focus on more explosive lifts, but donīt cut it out, of course.
yep, you are right David. I guess I was just repeating urban legend without ever really thinking if it was true.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Stanley Walter

Profile:

A heavy deadlift will in no way affect your speed on the ice.

I pulled 455# last year and it helped increase my speed.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Sorry Alex, gotta throw the BS flag on your numbers. Powerlifting records here (WFS) shows the US record for raw deadlift at the 82.5 kg weight class at 302.5 kg (665.5 lbs). Donīt know if those are totally up to date, but it shows that there is no way Ben Johnson was deadlift 400 kg (880 lbs), even though I donīt doubt he was pretty strong.

As for the OP, I agree with the above, for what itīs worth. Maybe make deadlift less prominent in training and focus on more explosive lifts, but donīt cut it out, of course.
Ben Johnson was Canadian, wasn't he?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
John Swanson

Profile:

I guess I should of worded my question better. At what point for my height and weight should I change my focus. Basically is 400 x 5 high enough or do I have alot of work to do. Basically I don't want to add extra weight/muscle if its not gunna help my performance on the ice.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Matthew J. Coe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swanson View Post
I guess I should of worded my question better. At what point for my height and weight should I change my focus. Basically is 400 x 5 high enough or do I have alot of work to do. Basically I don't want to add extra weight/muscle if its not gunna help my performance on the ice.
Is the extra deadlifting going to give you an advantage on the ice? Will it in anyway reflect itself when your up against opponents. If you think "yes" then go for it but if you think "no" then just maintain. I'd say concentrating on loaded bulgarian split squats, maybe jumping pistols, and sled drags would be more beneficial (although they're not a sexy in terms of boasting about how much weight you can lift).
Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
Paul Sousa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swanson View Post
Nobody can really answer that for you in terms of "x amount in the dealift is all you need". If you can continue to increase your DL while still being able to work on sport specific skills the by all means do it. If you feel you're speed, skills, etc. are starting to decline then refocus your training. Everyone is different so there really is no "right" relative strength marker.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #17
Andrew D White

Profile:

I don't have any experience with hockey, but I do have some with Rugby at the collegiate level.
Granted, skating and running aren't the same, but a lot of the directional changes and physical nature of the sports appear the same.

Read this article where Jonah Lomu (one of the all time greats and one of my personal heroes) talks about his lifting and conditioning for the sport.

It's very general, but I think it points toward being as strong in deadlifts as you can be while playing a very demanding sport that requires both strength and agility.
Again, I know nothing about hockey. I'm just giving what I feel is a good example of a top level athlete who is nearly 40 doing what he feels is best for his performance.
Here WFS

I deadlifted as much as I could in x5 sets when I played and today I dead lift as much as I can in x5 sets so I can continue to do the things I want.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think you should worry about your performance falling off from deadlifts until the stopwatch show it happening, then adjust. We're all different.
I think deadlifts bring so much to the table that I wouldn't want to stop pushing at 400 x5, considering the dynamic loads placed on hockey and rugby players and the considerable need for what they give you.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If speed is your concern, deadlift it faster. Not as in 5 reps in less time, but faster from floor to lockout.

"I'm scarred that if it keeps going up I may lose my speed on the ice"

THis confuses me, how would a big deadlift make you slow.

This is a good point! The intent to move fast through a lift, even thought you may not be moving fast, produces 1. Faster gains 2. More power, thus more speed.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"At what point for my height and weight should I change my focus"

That is a much better question. I think when you get to the point where your deadlift is increasing longer than every two weeks is where you would want to shift focus from getting stronger on the deadlift.

Odd object lifts, bilateral work, rotation, balance, etc become more important to hockey at this point, or at least will give you a bigger bang for your time than training for a higher deadlift.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Matthew J. Coe

Profile:
Cool Re: When to stop Dead Lifting

Odd object lifts, bilateral work, rotation, balance, etc become more important to hockey at this point, or at least will give you a bigger bang for your time than training for a higher deadlift.[/quote]

Totally agree with this!