CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Helping someone start

Hey guys i got a friend who seems interested in CF. Shes a smoker so i don't know how to go about getting her into the program. Obviously get her to stop smoking is a huge concern but i wanna try to take baby steps so she doesn't just give up. Any ideas? sorry if this has already be talked about before. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: Helping someone start

Hey Andrew,

I find people will usually give up stuff in their lives for something the become more passionate with.

For example, if you can get her started with some scaled CF, she might come to love it, and at that time she might also see that her times and workouts would be a lot better if she wasn't smoking. To be a permanent fix, it has to be her choice, but I think this is one road to get there. This works even better if she is competitive in nature.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

There's a very good chance that she already wants to quit, but she is apprehensive of trying...its a brutal addiction.

Just get her into CF...don't even mention smoking until she is thoroughly "enjoying" CF then slowly slip in talk of avail quitting techniques eg. Zyban, etc...she has probably heard it all before, though.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

I would just encourage her in whatever she is interested in but avoid discouraging her from her bad habits. Better to be a cheerleader than a preacher?

Starting one good lifestyle habit often leads to others. When a person starts to see improvements in their strength and endurance in the WODs they often start considering making changes in their diets and other lifestyle choices that will help them improve faster.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Good advice from the others. I quit smoking a long time ago when I realized that I couldn't breathe when riding up short hills on my mountain bike. I really loved riding and got sick of not being able to breathe, so I quit smoking. I think that's the key though- that I got sick of it and wanted to change it.

As for starting CF, the BrandX scaled workouts are great for this. I started at Buttercup level and found it hard, but not too hard.

Good luck!