CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:
Re: HSPU's: Facing towards or away?

I like it sean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Lind View Post
Keep in mind that doing handstand pushup and Headstand Pushups are two different things. Handstand push-up is an extreme range of motion where the head goes past the X-axis of the support position.( Ie, parallel bars, rings)

Headstand pushup is when the top of the head touches the ground, and then push back up.

Now with that in mind, all handstand/headstand push ups againts the wall are actually a modification of a true handstand/headstand pushup (Free standing)

I am wondering when the day will come when the games competitors doing WODS with HeSPU and HSPU, when they wont use a wall as a modification or assitance, just like using a band pull ups. it is a development for a skill, and not a skill on its own.

And to answer your question, I tend to do them free-standing, usually modify them to headstand Push-ups for high reps.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Back to the wall has significant risk for catastrophic injury when dealing with inexperienced (or highly fatigued) athletes. If someone is pushing and collapses against the wall and tucks their head in (a natural thing to do in this state) they can land on the back of their head resulting in them being pinned between the wall and the floor with their cervical spine in flexion under load. There's an old home page video where this occurs during a HSPU contest, fortunately the athlete involved was very strong and was able to get out without incident. Walking up the wall is more self limiting and encourages better position. We practice both in our gym just so our athletes have experience, but facing the wall is performed more frequently and other scales are used more than the wall... All leading, as Sean also pointed out, toward free standing.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Here's a warmup I do, facing the wall. I don't have the room or the confidence to cartwheel into this so I walk up the wall. I exit by either walking back down the wall or tuck rolling out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8naqacIuzI
video is work/family safe
Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, I actually sprained my neck doing kipping HeSPU during that HS CF WOD popularized by Lauren Galassi. That first round really crushed me but I came down just a bit fast and pulled something in my neck.

And bare in mind this was in a gymnastics gym so the edge of the wall was covered with foam. It wasn't sprung but it was a helluva lot softer than a stall mat over concrete.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
Sean Lind

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Back to the wall has significant risk for catastrophic injury when dealing with inexperienced (or highly fatigued) athletes. If someone is pushing and collapses against the wall and tucks their head in (a natural thing to do in this state) they can land on the back of their head resulting in them being pinned between the wall and the floor with their cervical spine in flexion under load. There's an old home page video where this occurs during a HSPU contest, fortunately the athlete involved was very strong and was able to get out without incident. Walking up the wall is more self limiting and encourages better position. We practice both in our gym just so our athletes have experience, but facing the wall is performed more frequently and other scales are used more than the wall... All leading, as Sean also pointed out, toward free standing.

Great point, extreme fatigue and inexperience can be dangerous with back to wall for HeSPU. Those that are inexperienced/new to this movement should have this in the back of their mind for a safety concern.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

It depends what qualities you are trying to develop.....

Good form and technique for strength = stomach to the wall

"Get through it as fast as possible" in a metabolic workout just kick up with back to the wall
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It depends what qualities you are trying to develop.....

Good form and technique for strength = stomach to the wall

"Get through it as fast as possible" in a metabolic workout just kick up with back to the wall
I have been wondering for ages, with HSPU with your back to the wall like everybody does in WODs what position is the strongest in regards to hand position (wide/ narrow/ hands straight forward/ hands turned out) and head in neutral or looking slightly down and where does the head go, towards the wall or straight down?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you want to do them as ****ty as possible to get through them as fast as possible, look at the ground and goes as wide with your hand placement as possible.

Some time ago I tested HeSPU what CF calls HSPU with my back against the wall, my stomach against the wall and I might have even done it freestanding.

I didn't use a wide hand placement nor arch very much but I could do 2 with my back against the wall compared for every 1 with my stomach against the wall roughly. I'm sure if I arched more with wide hands, I could do 3:1.

When it came to freestanding, I could do about half as many as with my stomach against the wall.

I didn't test it with parallettes because going stomach to wall with parallettes is quite the endeavor. It's easier to cartwheel to than walk up from a pushup position. However cartwheeling is kinda tricky and I sure as hell wouldn't do it with some tall parallettes unless they were heavy.

That thread is probably on the board somewhere but I'm not very interested in sifting through the search engine or my posts and subscriptions.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
If you want to do them as ****ty as possible to get through them as fast as possible, look at the ground and goes as wide with your hand placement as possible.

Some time ago I tested HeSPU what CF calls HSPU with my back against the wall, my stomach against the wall and I might have even done it freestanding.

I didn't use a wide hand placement nor arch very much but I could do 2 with my back against the wall compared for every 1 with my stomach against the wall roughly. I'm sure if I arched more with wide hands, I could do 3:1.

When it came to freestanding, I could do about half as many as with my stomach against the wall.

I didn't test it with parallettes because going stomach to wall with parallettes is quite the endeavor. It's easier to cartwheel to than walk up from a pushup position. However cartwheeling is kinda tricky and I sure as hell wouldn't do it with some tall parallettes unless they were heavy.

That thread is probably on the board somewhere but I'm not very interested in sifting through the search engine or my posts and subscriptions.
In skills work I will do them stomach against the wall, to build strenght but also technique for the handstand

However in WODs I will be doing them as fast as possible. So go very wide with the hands look at the ground and that makes them easier? Do i have my hands straight (ie pointing at the wall) or do i turn them out (so they are on a 45 degree angle?)

Also how far away from the wall am I? and Does my head go straight down or back towards the wall?

Cheers Blair
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

When doing handstands you want to turn your fingers out while externally rotating your arm so the crook of the elbow faces forward as much as possible.

Fpr your purposes I guess just look at the ground. Stick your head out but again that's ****ty form.

The farther you place your hands from the wall, the more you will arch your back when they are on the wall. Generally I wouldn't place them any farther than the length of one's hand away from the wall. By that I mean the amount of space from fingertip to wall.

With the head out, you end up recruiting the upper pecs akin to an incline bench press or a big lean back ala the days of the Olympic Press.

Again, these tips are just for how to a CrossFit HSPU as ****ty as possible.