CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-11-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Eric Godfrey

Profile:  
I have a question. My current schedule forces me to work out and run at 10pm each night. I GREATLY prefer to run in the AM and then work out at 1pm, but can’t.

My problem lies with nutrition, as I feel I may not be getting the right nutrition at the right time. When I lift hard (or do the WOD now) at 10PM and then run, I then toss back 20g protein powder, 12oz milk, and 1g of flax-seed oil, and then go to bed.

I don’t feel bad when I wake up, but I don’t really feel great like I do when I have a evening meal and then go to bed. My problem now lies in not being able to get a full post-work out meal, and then just going to bed.

In the long run, is there anything detrimental with my current late-night work outs and minimal nutrition? Should I be smuggling a complex protein source back to my hooch? At a minimum, I see adding fruit as a must, but I’m no intuitionalist.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
When I was young I worked out at night. Granted I was young but this is still the time when my training went best for me.

I didn't even always eat after, but still made good progress. IMO if your overall nutrition is good I wouldn't worry too much.

Some people don't sleep well working out close to sleep cycle, but it never bothered me. Maybe you don't feel quite as good in the am because the workout is too close to sleep, not the meal.

I'm sure others will chime in but that is my experience.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
Eric Godfrey

Profile:  
intuitionalist = nutritionalist? Spell checker caught it...

I do notice that my heart rate is elevated when I try to sleep, but generally I feel that I'm getting the same quality of sleep.

Researching more past posts, I think the answer is "read about the Zone, Paleo, and Warrior nutrition systems". Personally, I'm on the meat-veggies-fruit-milk-minimal carbs plan, with protien powder between meals.

I see the truth of "if your overall nutrition is good I wouldn't worry too much". I do worry about going cataboloc after WOD and 60-90 min of running. Sleeping with low blood sugar can't be the best for you.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I believe someone mentioned on this site before that DeVany says that carbs before bed inhibits GH release during sleep.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
If you're worried about catabolic activity, you'd probably do well to drop your 60-90 minutes of running. Nothing chews up muscle quite like extended low intensity cardio. You could always just grab a whey/casein shake PWO. The initial surge of aminos would halt catabolism immediately while the sustained release of aminos would keep you in positive nitrogen balance while you sleep. At least that's the theory...

GH and insulin are antagonistic. The largest "spurt" of GH supposedly occurs not long after one falls asleep. Carbs close to bedtime would elevated insulin levels thereby suppressing any potential GH release. For this reason, I'd avoid carbs right before bed. Any benefit of replenishing glycogen or things of the sort would be outweighed by the negative effects of diminished GH output.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #6
Eric Godfrey

Profile:  
Wow... Great feed back. Thank you.

To throw it out there, when is the best time for cardio? It seems like prolonged cardio at ANY time is bad for muscle tissue... Perhaps switch back to low-duration, high-intensity runs?

Its just that after my first WOD's I've been unable to keep my 3-mile pace for even 1 mile. Like every work out before, it's finding balance that I have trouble with. I wish I worked 9-5 and had weekends off... : )
Old 05-12-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Eric,

How long have you been doing the WODs? What was your your 3-mile pace pre-CF? What's your pace now? When you tested your running ability, was it after a workout or were you fresh?

My running times have dropped significantly in all categories - 400/800/1600m since starting CF. I wasn't a speed demone before CF, though I wasn't slow either.

I doubt prolonged cardio added into the mix intermittently, ala the CF theoretical template, would do much harm; however, regularly engaging in 60-90 bouts will certainly have a negative impact on strength, LBM, power, etc. I find it hard to believe that you are not able to maintain a level of endurance/stamina in running if you are attacking the WODs with gusto. Personally, I find a workout like Cindy to be much more challenging, and rewarding (to all components of fitness) than a long slow bout with the treadmill or track. IMHO, one of the benefits of CF is that you are able to improve your endurance, stamina, and cardiovascular efficiency without succumbing to the negative effects of standard "cardio".
Old 05-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Low intensity long duration cardio (60 -120 mins) performed regulary causes a metabolic shift at the mitochondrial level towards fat burning. I've come across this in my reading multiple times. So Eric, depending on what your goals are long duration cardio may or may not fit in. In terms of conditiioning and overall performance improvement, your time is better spent on the CF workouts. If you're main goal is to lean out and your already zoning, long duration cardio might get you to your goals faster. If your goal is an improvement on running times, then find a mix of CF and running that works for you.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Jonathon, great info on the pre sleep meal. I will use that.

Eric, I find the same thing. My running speed has gone down even though my wod times are getting better. I think I will add some extra interval sprintwork just before the WOD(when appropriate) or add some distance running on the restday, when I am used to the zone-way of eating.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Johan,

Glad you found it interesting. What was your running time like before implementing the WOD? What is it like now? I find it really interesting that both of your running times/speeds have decreased. How long have you been Zoning?