CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Christian Hansen

Profile:
How time flies. I started my 7th week of the WOD on Wednesday so it's time to up the intensity. I was thinking of starting by selling out one WOD per 3 day cycle and doing that for the next six weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Yes up the intensity...try your idea if you can hack it then keep it up, but re-evaluate if you find it too much.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Christian - I suspect you will find faster results if you up your frequency of training a bit more and add the intensity as your fitness imprives. Instead of just two per week, do three or four, maybe every other day and make adjustments to your intensity as you go. Scale the workouts as you see fit but do try and workout more often.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I'd do all the WODs but at reduced intensity as neccesary. Otherwise you'll miss out on exercises that will bite you later with DOMS.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Christian Hansen

Profile:
I think I confused people here. I do all the WODs. I just am doing them at reduced intensity. Now that I've been in for a while I was going to up intensity on 1/3 for a while and slowly ramp up until I'm at full speed.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I think I'm just completely confused. With the way the exercises are designed, it seems you can't hel but give 100% just to complete it. That 100% is the 100% you can put out.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
He might be doing it the way I'm doing it.

I just finished my 50% month. That means that I take all the numbers of the WOD (rounds, reps, loads etc.) and cut them in half. I take my new "50% WOD" and attack it full on (100% ala Kris) Just started 60% yesterday, I might be at 60% for more than a month though. We'll see.

Christian instead of going balls out on 2 out of 3 WODS and half-*** on the 1, try upping the intensity on ALL the WODs a LITTLE bit. This way you are building up each pathway equally. It would seem more balanced than being intense with metabolic stuff and not on strength stuff, for example.

Crossfitter are more interested in broad range ability not specializing. By picking a WOD to "sell out" on, you will be opening up a weakness unnecessarily.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Kris Crowley

Profile:
Well, I'm doing all the prescribed numbers and whatever have you, but it's kicking my butt something fierce.

I'm going to continue the way I'm going because I'm an obsessive compulsive. If I don't do the prescribed number (no matter how long it takes me), I'll really have trouble with the rest of the day.

Perhaps I should seek help for that.:smile:
Old 07-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
AS PRESCRIBED AFTER 7 WEEKS!

You're a machine! How long does a workout take you?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I think I confused people here. I do all the WODs. I just am doing them at reduced intensity. Now that I've been in for a while I was going to up intensity on 1/3 for a while and slowly ramp up until I'm at full speed.

Sounds like a plan. After 7 weeks, I think you're about ready to "get it on." Go all out for a 3 day set, see how it feels. There's no real way to prep for 3 hard days, short of jumping in and giving it a go. Also, the 3 days form a unit, and going hard on only one day misses the holistic impact.