CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
Don Woodson

Profile:
My wife just went down to Florida to take care of her mom who just had open heart surgery.

She's about 72 (I think). Over the years we have been harping at her about her diet. But being the child of the Great Depression that she is, she believes eating properly is eating everything (like so many of our parents). For a woman in her seventies she does live fairly actively. Still gardens and walks on the beach.
She's surviving in relatively good spirits, but more than a little disappointed that it turned out to be more than an outpatient procedure (she had no idea).

Now I come to my question. My wife has already mentioned giving her fish oil. I advised against it for now, as her bp went way low for a while after her surgery.

But what about later? I've known several people who have gone through serious stuff like this and have come back stronger than ever. And knowing my mom in law, she will be one of those. So I am anticipating that she'll have a new outlook on things now, and may be willing to make some changes in her diet.
So would fish oil be a good or bad thing for her at this stage of her life?

I don't ever expect that she'll go Zone or Paleo, but she should be able to cut down on the sugars and starches and eat more green leafies.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Yeah, I think fish oil would be a great addition to any persons diet. young or old, diseased or healthy. Why no chance for Paleo or Zone? I think if you show your mother-in-law the research and let here read some stuff from crossfit she might be totally convinced.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
Does fish oil affect blood chemistry? I would use caution.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Don Woodson

Profile:
I don't know whether fish oil actually changes the chemistry of blood, but as I understand it, fish oil makes blood more slippery, reducing its resistance to flow, effectively lowering blood pressure.

As far as getting her to go totally paleo or zone; you'd have to know my mother in law to understand.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Don-

Clear it with her Doc...she will likely end up on coumadin or another blood thinner. Fish oil added to that could be very bad.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
As for the zone... if you buy into the logic... remember that the closer you get to the "zone" then that's when good stuff starts to happen. There is some "slop" that Dr. Sears talks about ie. the prescribed protien:carb ratio is 3:4 or 0.75, he says for most people, keeping between 0.6 and 1.0 will still be in the zone. This is pretty easy to do. So it's probably not too far fetched to try to edge her towards the zone. This is the thing Sears keeping referring to, we're all so concerned about making sure that we're taking our micro nutrients in stead of giving the same caution to our macro nutrients. There will probably be more positive effects in her body from adjusting her protien:carb intake compared to popping some fish oil.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Don, Robb, others:
Fish oil interaction with warfarin.

Buckley MS - Ann Pharmacother - 01-JAN-2004; 38(1): 50-2
From NIH/NLM MEDLINE
NLM Citation ID:
14742793 (PubMed)
Full Source Title:
Annals of Pharmacotherapy
Abstract:
OBJECTIVE: To report a case of elevated international normalized ratio (INR) in a patient taking fish oil and warfarin. CASE SUMMARY: A 67-year-old white woman had been taking warfarin for 1(1/2) years due to recurrent transient ischemic attacks. Her medical history included hypothyroidism, hyperlipidemia, osteopenia, hypertension, and coronary artery disease. She also experienced an inferior myocardial infarction in 1995 requiring angioplasty, surgical repair of her femoral artery in 1995, and hernia repair in 1996. This patient has her INR checked in the anticoagulation clinic and is followed monthly by the clinical pharmacist. Prior to the interaction, her INR was therapeutic for 5 months while she was taking warfarin 1.5 mg/d. The patient admitted to doubling her fish oil dose from 1000 to 2000 mg/d. Without dietary, lifestyle, or medication changes, the INR increased from 2.8 to 4.3 within 1 month. The INR decreased to 1.6 one week after subsequent fish oil reduction, necessitating a return to the original warfarin dosing regimen. DISCUSSION: Fish oil supplementation could have provided additional anticoagulation with warfarin therapy. Fish oil, an omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid, consists of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid. This fatty acid may affect platelet aggregation and/or vitamin K-dependent coagulation factors. Omega-3 fatty acids may lower thromboxane A(2) supplies within the platelet as well as decrease factor VII levels. Although controversial, this case report illustrates that fish oil can provide additive anticoagulant effects when given with warfarin. CONCLUSIONS: This case reveals a significant rise in INR after the dose of concomitant fish oil was doubled. Patients undergoing anticoagulation therapy with warfarin should be educated about and monitored for possible drug-herb interactions. Pharmacists can play a crucial role in identifying possible drug interactions by asking patients taking warfarin about herbal and other alternative medicine product use.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I would think as long as you are only manipulating one variable(either Warfarin or Fish Oil) it would be ok during the initiation of warfarin therapy, when you are getting the INR therapeutic. But definitely discuss it with the Cardiologist before implementing.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
Don Woodson

Profile:
Thanks guys. Not sure if she's taking Warfarin or not. My wife says she's taking about six meds right now, and has siad she'd get back with me on what they are.

She had sworn off sugar at the advise from her Dr. and us, but my wife took her to a store and she spotted a bag of jelly beans she just had to have...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
joseph elberti

Profile:

you also dont want to feed fish oil to people who suffer from bipolar disorder or mania- it'll throw them for a loop!

or so I have been told