CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Todd Selva

Profile:
diverse clientele

I started a small box about a year and a half ago. My clientele seem to be majority age 24-33 and definately look the part. The one problem I feel that I have is when potential new members come in say in their 40's or 50's, I feel they are intimidated when they see the majority younger crowd doing things like kipping pull ups, heavy dead lifts and cleans. I do have a 48 year old female and a 43 year old female, but I still feel I need a way to make the newbies a little more comfortable and less intimidated when they come into something so new and intimidating as is. Any advice or similar experiences?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: diverse clientele

Im not sure this will help, and im not sure quite how to word it either. Our box has been open since January of this year, and has a wide array of athletes as well. We have everything from kids ages 12-18 or so with high-level gymnastics backgrounds, to people in their 50s and 60s looking to get in better shape and retain their mobility to be able to play with grandkids etc, to people who are very overweight that are looking to drop the fat and increase their quality of life through much improved diet and exercise.

Our gym has a very family feeling vibe, partially because our owner's and athlete's kids are very active in the gym and we live in a smaller town, so intimidation is not a problem for us. I will say that if youre afraid that older people will be intimidated to join at your box, it should come down to your attitude as well as the attitudes of your "looking the part" athletes. With age comes knowledge and responsibility, and it seems that your clients are old enough to realize that they should be inviting and supportive to any caliber athlete, regardless of age or strength/ability level. At the end of the day, CF is about challenging ones self, and having the supportive community to help others push themselves and accomplish their personal goals.

So way too long and ranty just to say that the "old people" in our box are just as likely to pat me on the back and get pumped over my 400# PR deadlift as any of the younger guys that are competitive and look the part. Attitude and respect are more important in building community than worrying about "jacked cocky guys scaring away old people because they can do pullups" in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Scott Simmonds

Profile:
Re: diverse clientele

Consider your marketing. To attract the 50 and 60 year olds (Im 54) you have to be where the 50 and 60 year olds are.

Have a "Masters Class" a few days a week. Ask your younger members to invite their parents to a Masters OnRamp session.

Invite the mayor of your town to stop by to see the new business in town. Have the camera ready and tell her to wear her sneakers & sweats. Get her to do a few Oly moves with a PVC pipe.

Are you a member of the local Chamber of Commerce? Offer a free session to fellow chamber members.

Speak at a Rotary or Kiwanis meeting.