CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Cody Fletcher

Profile:
Face to Face with Smolov - Front Squat version

So I'm currently into my 5th week of the Smolov Squat Program, link here: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-add-10...-squat-smolov/

As in American History X, if you can't say it better than someone did, quote them and rip it off but here:

Quote:
In case you got all starry eyed and bushy tailed having read the title beware that you cannot get something for nothing. Either of the two four week loading blocks of the thirteen week Russian cycle pack more work than most American squatters do in a year, no joke. You shall gain but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit, Comrade.-”Pavel Tsatsouline”
It's pretty intense. Each set always starts well with the last 40% being brutal. Change here is, I'm doing it for Front Squats instead of Back Squats as it was originally intended.

Essentially you start with an Introductory Microcycle, all weights and percentages built off of your 1RM (mine was 295lbs). First week is squatting 3 days in a row with various set/reps ranging from 65% to 90% of your 1RM. Second week somewhat baffled me because it's 3 days in a row of 3x8 Lunges. Bodyweight...lunges.

3rd week is a little more weight but a lot less reps (Mon/Wed/Fri) with 2x2, 3x, 5x.

Then comes the "Base Mesocycle." What a subtle name for a ridiculously intensive squat routine. 4x9 at 70%(205, on Mon), 5x7 at 75%(220, on Wed), 7x5 at 80%(235, on Fri), 10x3 at 85%(250, on Sat)! Yes. 30 reps at 85% of your 1RM. ON *****ING SATURDAY. *NOTE: Excel Spreadsheet from link I gave (about halfway down the page, download link) populates all information and also rounds off to the closest 5 pound mark. Pretty convenient.

THEN your next week is the same rep scheme but OH, let's add 20lbs to each lift. WITH THE SAME REP SCHEME. Today was 5x7 at 240. Needless to say, it's getting tough. And only gets tougher.

I made the best decision of my recent life and purchased some Rehband Knee Sleeves which I'm not sure how I've ever squatted without them. Knees are starting to get a little sore but rest/stretch/meds are helping with those.

Posting this to continue discussion about the program, if anyone here has done it, back or front, please post to discuss. It's a damn intense program and as Comrade Tsatsouline said, you shall pay with sweat (yes), blood, and vomit (not quite yet but still working).
DL-475/CL&PR-275/BS-355/FS-345/SN-194/Fran-2:31/FGB-504 reps/HalfMar-1:25:57row
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Face to Face with Smolov - Front Squat version

I did the Smolov Jr. program for Front squats!! It was brutal to say the least. I have no idea how much I gained on it because I ended up getting very sick right after the last workout and took about 1.5 weeks to get over, so any gains I had gotten were pretty much gone.

I don't know if I could get through the full smolov program with them, let alone the base mesocycle.