CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Maggie Collister

Profile:
Diet Question- Why is this working?

First off, hello! I'm glad to find this message board. I'm fairly new to CrossFit and LOVE it, but trying to get my diet dialed in. Hoping to get some feedback.

So, last Tuesday I basically bonked at CF. I literally ran out of gas which is not a normal thing for me. I'm pretty damn slow, but can generally just keep plugging away. Not Tuesday. I got it done, and was talking to the coach and he offered diet advice of : breakfast of coffee with heavy cream, lunch of chicken breast on a salad with full fat dressing, dinner- red meat with asparagus and butter. One cheat meal a week.

I got right on that, started Tuesday night. I was 179.5 lbs Tuesday morning. I woke up this morning at 170.4 lbs. I feel better, energy wise, hungry at times, but good. I have NEVER dropped weight like this. Ever. And I am a veteran of dieting. If it is out there, I have done it.

For the past couple years I've eaten primal/paleo. I'm not 100% clean- I eat cheese probably every other day, occasional ice cream- maybe 1x-2x a month, occasional grain- maybe once a month. I have been using sugar in my coffee, but its like a tsp or so (and I'm not putting it in today's coffee). I did do a Whole30 last year and dropped about 3lbs.

I added up the current diet, and the calorie count is maybe 100-200 calories less than what I was eating, so not much different. I've done the very low carb thing in the past, and again, no big weight drop- maybe a lb or two in a week. Not 10.

So I'm trying to figure out why this works. Logically I know this is water weight, not 10 lbs of fat. Obviously, I was retaining water/inflammation on what I thought was a pretty clean diet, and never in the past have had this happen. I'm a little worried that eggs, the elimination of eggs, is driving this. They are my favorite food and something that has been a constant. I've put a lot of work in on diet through the years and struggled to see great results; wondering if eggs have been making me retain water. They are the only thing that I have ever NOT eliminated from my diet.

Nothing really makes me feel crappy when I eat it beyond the obvious sugar crashes from straight up junk. But things like dairy and grain don't bother me. And I eat a ton of eggs and feel great.

So what gives- is this overwhelming success due to a really effective diet for me or is it that I finally happened upon the fact that eggs don't do me any favors. Looking forward to your thoughts!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Chad Ashton

Profile:
Re: Diet Question- Why is this working?

Not sure what would be in eggs that would cause you to retain water. All they are is basically protein and fat. I eat upwards of 2 dozen a week and don't retain water. But everyone is different, so who knows. Maybe it was the bump in fat. You might also try bulletproof coffee instead of heavy cream. Make your coffee and put it in a blender. Add a tbsp of MCT oil or coconut oil and a tbsp of butter. Blend it until its kinda frothy and pour in to a mug and drink. Lots of energy from that one.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

You are basically fasting for 16 hours and your total calorie intake is about 1000-1500 calories. That's why you are losing so much weight. I do a similar diet, but I eat a lot of carbs at night.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Maggie Collister

Profile:

Oh, so it could be related to the cycle of fasting. For me, 1000-1500 calories is not particularly abnormal or anything that leads to rapid weight loss. This is just kind of a shocker because I'm one of those people that just doesn't drop weight quickly until now.

I'll have to try a few eggs next week with dinner and see what happens. Tonight is a weekly eat whatever night, so maybe if I eat eggs towards the end of the week, I can see what impact they have.

I do feel a lot better, it'll will be interesting to see how workouts go next week. It will be nice if it pans out, I've been messing around with diet for a long time, and this is easy, it's foods I like and pretty quick/simple to shop and prepare.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

you have only lost 9 or 10 pounds. water weighs 8lbs/gallon. if you stopped eating carbs and not a ton of salt then it is probably mostly water weight so far. but it seems like it is working so stick with it and see what happens. just don't be upset if progress slows down a little
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
Maggie Collister

Profile:

Quote:
you have only lost 9 or 10 pounds. water weighs 8lbs/gallon. if you stopped eating carbs and not a ton of salt then it is probably mostly water weight so far
Yeah, that's the kind of weight loss that has never happened for me in the past. Anything else I have tried has been 2-3 lbs max even at first, even something like stomach flu wouldn't put a 10 lb dent in my weight. I feel great, I was eating pretty low carb prior, so it wasn't a big transition. I do use a ton of salt on my meat and chicken, but I'm sure eliminating a meal eliminates a good chunk of the salt. Plus asparagus and coffee are diuretics. I ate a carb heavy meal last night and it put 2 lbs back on this morning.

I'm a little leery about this long term, but the people I see doing it look great and are obviously very fit. I figure the foods are all good/healthy.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Phil Washlow

Profile:

What is your current goal? Fat loss? Have all of the diets you have done always been low calorie?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Maggie Collister

Profile:

Yes, fat loss is a big goal, plus better overall energy. It would also be nice to get faster at WOD's. I'm fairly happy with my strength and endurance at this point, but I'm really slow (running, burpees). I figure cutting some fat weight will help with that.

I've done everything in the past, from calorie restriction to Low carb/Atkins. Seriously: Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, You on a Diet, Vegan, Vegetarian, Calorie Counting (to excess), Primal (high fat/low carb), Paleo, High carb/High Protein, General eating of healthy whole foods (Whole 30), not worrying about what I eat while I exercise a ton.

I'd like to be able to shed the fat then go back to eating a Paleo/Primal type diet for long term.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

This is going to sound counterintuitive but I really believe that you need to eat more. Years of low calorie yo-yo dieting will wreak havoc on your metabolism. Your body will try to become as efficient as possible at storing fat because it is constantly starving. The idea of a caloric deficit only works for people who have a healthy metabolism. My advice would be 2500 cals a day with around 100g of carbs the rest fat and protein.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Collister View Post
I'm a little leery about this long term, but the people I see doing it look great and are obviously very fit.
Just out of curiosity, what makes it obvious that they are very fit? Their looks?

- Mark