CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Tonya Martin

Profile:
Question?? WOD outside in heat vs inside with a/c-want to improve WOD time / rounds

Our box has been getting a lot of new people in the morning, so I have been doing my WOD outside. I am in south Mississippi-its in the 90's. I feel I am getting a better work out outside. I have noticed that my times or rounds are not as good. If anyone knows the answer to my question, I would appreciate any feed back. I would like to know if I continue to do WODS outside, will my times begin to get better once I am used to doing them in the heat? and bigger question, if I continue to do WODs outside, then have to do some inside- will I be better / faster inside?

Since I have been doing the WODs outside, I am not the 2nd highest female on the board (our trainer is a beast-I can not seem to beat any of her times or rounds, but I am usually the next best time)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Question?? WOD outside in heat vs inside with a/c-want to improve WOD time / roun

Nope.

We know here in Phoenix as the temp raises times get slower. Your body has too divert resources to maintaining a safe temperature. This reduces your ability to do work.

I don't program much running during the summer because , while you can do it safely with hydration and monitoring, it is just brutal low quality work. I believe in suffering only when it produces goo results.

They see the same thing in the endurance sports like running and triathlon. Temp goes up times go up.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Question?? WOD outside in heat vs inside with a/c-want to improve WOD time / roun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I believe in suffering only when it produces goo results.
In my experience, all training-induced suffering produces these results.

- Mark
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Nope.

We know here in Phoenix as the temp raises times get slower. Your body has too divert resources to maintaining a safe temperature. This reduces your ability to do work.

I don't program much running during the summer because , while you can do it safely with hydration and monitoring, it is just brutal low quality work. I believe in suffering only when it produces goo results.

They see the same thing in the endurance sports like running and triathlon. Temp goes up times go up.
Mirrors my experience as well. Patrolling in Iraq requires greater concern for the well being of your boys than does a stroll in Lejeune in the fall. It may have some mental benefits of knowing you can hack it, but also be aware of potential dangers associated with high temperatures.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
William Garrett

Profile:

I just came back from a deployment 6 weeks ago, was working out in some warm temps, pushed it pretty hard a couple of times, despite hitting it hard for 5 months I just never really got the performances I knew I was capable of.

However, upon coming home I was able unleash just about every PR I attempted at Sea-Level in 60 degree temps after training in those warmer/hotter conditions for close to 5 months.

Oxygen is Oxygen, and isnt the given altitude, humidity, air temp, and barometer. It varies drastically.... I also do some Drag Racing/Auto Racing on the side and Oxygen plays a major role in the internal combustion engine and how much power you can make on a given track day. Same thing with the human body. I can pretty much predict what kind of performance my car will have based on atmospheric conditions given a simple Density Altitude Calculation. See link below. Phoenix for example....... 1300ft @ 106 degrees is actually close to 4550ft corrected altitude. That same place in Phoenix inside under some AC @ 70 degrees is effectively 2100ft corrected. Alot of people discount this, and have no clue about corrected Altitude and the affects it has on performance.

LINK IS SAFE
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30

Last edited by William Garrett : 06-22-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Interesting point about the temperature affecting the density of oxygen.
There will be less oxygen in a breath at a higher temp. Didn't think of it that way before.

Another problem with high temps is that more blood is shuttled to your skin for cooling and blood vessels dialate leaving less blood and o2 for the muscles. The increased sweating can effect water and electrolyte balance however a performance impact isn't noted until a 2% bw reduction. A WOD probably wont cause you to dehydrate that much. Some of the decline is mental for sure, perceived difficulty.

There is supposed to be a physical acclimatization to training in higher temperatures that takes a couple of weeks.

The humidity is worse for me than the heat, and in Miss. I guess you have to deal with both quite a lot! On the other hand, ice cold is no bargain either
Old 06-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I am in SoCal, so I don't really have to worry too much about high heat or humidity, but that's not to say its never hot or humid.

Before starting crossfit, one thing that worried me was my extreme intolerance to heat. If I were to even play golf on a day that was over 85, I would really struggle. I read online about heat intolerance and even had my thyroid function tested because I just felt dead within a couple of hours.

Since I started crossfit, I intentionally do as many WOD's as possible outside. I try to get a good sweat on and stay plenty hydrated. For me, it helps me when I'm doing other activities when it's hot and I don't feel so miserable. I just immediately start to sweat.

It does affect my performance, but for me, the secondary benefit of getting used to working hard when it's hot really helps me.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

The heat and humidity in South Louisiana sucks. Indoor strength training, I told my trainer I will start running in October! The first heat spell I had to start jalking at 300 meters! I had worked up to getting a steady 1/2 mile without any jalking, but with the temps up I am just back up to 600 meters before I have to start jalking. I am hoping when things cool down I will be able to go longer. I just stopped smoking less than a year ago, and I can't wait to take advantage of the oxygen this winter!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

I agree that the quality of the work will not be as good, to some degree, if it's very hot but I'm with Joe, I like how my workouts help me be adapted to the environment. I live in Charleston SC and don't have AC for any workouts.

I like PRs and training for training sake but I also like the "be prepared for anything" angle and working out in 95 degree heat with ridiculous humidity give me the confidence that if I need to exert myself I can without dying of heat exhaustion. I mean, how useful is your fitness if you can only safely exert yourself in a perfectly temperature and humidity controlled indoor environment?

It also helps me be more comfortable in every day situations. Standing around outside at work in a shirt and tie on a scorching day isn't nearly as bad when your body has gotten used to the heat in the gym. I take pride in my ability to withstand the heat.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
Michael Pollak

Profile:

I agree with everything said about the high heat....

But then there is also humidity. We have no A/C at our box in s. Florida ... It's been hot and humid!!!! Double whammy because even though you sweat like a pig, it doesn't evaporate as fast due to high relative humidity, so you get less efficient cooling.... I assume your locale is similar.

I just plod along and do my best for a given day knowing that when the temp gets cooler , I will have more energy.