CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Rob Ray

Profile:
Where do you go for programming?

I've regrettably have had to shift my CrossFitting from an awesome box to my garage for both family and time-restraints (they go hand-in-hand). Before my move, the programming that was supplied included a WOD-specific warm-up, a strength component (most days), the WOD and a cool-down.

Aside from the homepage, where do you go for good programming? I'm not looking for something nearly as involved as before, but it would be good to have something a little more robust than just the mainsite WOD.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Where do you go for programming?

If you liked the program at the box you were at there's no reason why you can't continue following their we site.

Otherwise what are your goals? What are your numbers now and what would you like them to be in 6 months? How much time per day or week can you train?

Answers to these will help match you up with the right programming
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

I go to my brain for programming.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Steve Bray

Profile:

pay someone to write you a 3 month program?

Im a PT and i charge clients if they want me to write a program.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Rob Ray

Profile:

Thanks for the replies! They were posting their WOD's and I was following them, but it's become really hit-and-miss as far as updates. On that same thought, I checked out a number of other locations (CrossFit Park City and Santa Clara) for some ideas and they do provide more regular updates.

As far as my numbers, they're really nothing. As far as where I want to be in 6 months, I guess it'd depend on how you define "where" -- basically just anywhere but here in sucksville where I've lost all that I gained earlier. Before I was training about an hour five days a week; I believe I can find that much time again. I discovered CrossFit and got hooked at the beginning of the year and really hit it hard for three months (no laughing) but then my Wife's pregnancy and work began to demand more time, so I slowly began to convert my garage. Now the baby is born and I'm working at getting back at it -- it's a long road to hoe, but the experience earlier proves where I can be back to in a short period of time. I played football and rugby before and tore my ACL; after reconstructive surgery I took up triathlons which really helped my rehab, but those distance races aren't really my wheelhouse -- CrossFit was everything I loved about my previous sports-life.

I've considered approaching one of the Coach's to work on some kind of "homework" program, but given the vast number of members here, thought I'd pick your brains for training resources.

Last edited by Rob Ray : 10-15-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I workout at a box three times per week and do two workouts at home.

I don't need anyone to program warmup and cooldown for me, so I generally borrow WODs from one of a few different places for my home workouts.

- Crossfit Football
- WODShop
- Crossfit New England (like their programming. Their competitive success speaks for itself)
- or I stop over at my home box on the way home from work and "leverage" (steal) whatever they're doing that day. They know I do this and are okay with it.

(all links wfs)

- Mark
Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Dave Traeger

Profile:

The best program is ultimately the one you can follow. theres 3k affiliates around the world who post their wods online everyday. theres also other resources like cf mainsite cf football wendler 70s big et al

Ultimately until you know what you want what you enjoy and what timeframe you have available no one will know which fits you best.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Ross Enamait has some great ideas for training at home, a lot of his stuff is home friendly and he talks about training with a newborn in the house a lot.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/ wfs for the most part

Otherwise, there are a lot of great programs out there for free or for pay
5/3/1 or Chad Smith's Juggernaut method are both pretty solid.

At the end of the day, when you have a newborn, any training is better than nothing. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
James Orr

Profile:

I keep a collection of 3x5's with my favorite WODs.

As far as the warmup goes, get your heart rate up, warm up your shoulders in different planes and warm up your hips and legs. Look up Spealler's warmup in the journal. Good stuff.

As far as where I get my WODs . . . CrossFit Football, some of the benchmarks like Helen, Fran, Cindy, etc. I make some up. Strength Villain has two books of 50 conditioning workouts that are pretty minimal equipment.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Is your time completely limited or does it come in pockets of 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there?

When my kids were first born it was tough to be able to go train somewhere for an hour when you include a 20 minute commute. So I did more stuff at home and found that breaking things into mini-workouts allowed me to do more than trying to do it all in one session.

If you schedule gives you a clear hour, almost daily then try to get your work done. But, if it's a matter of small opportunities, then I'd suggest some type of framework where you do 15-20 minutes of strength work, then later in the day hit a brief to medium sized metcon.

Also, always have a backup plan was limited. If you were planning on a good hour strength session, but family needs came up, time to do a quick metcon instead.