CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
It's not that odd. There's no time. If you're in a 6pm class and you have warmup, stretching, strength work, WOD, and foam rolling to get through before the 7pm class, there's no time to work on technique other than private training on your own. Sure, a box owner might yell "active shoulders" or "set your back" during a WOD, but this isn't exactly helpful in developing actual proficiency in the movements, particularly technical ones like oly lifts.
Sounds like poorly run classes then, or maybe just lazy or ineffective coaches. When I was coaching I would rotate around and give cues and corrections (with video if I had my camera on me) during the strength portions of workouts. All a coach has to do is have people stagger their attempts or sets by 20-30 seconds and he can see nearly everyone go, assuming they're resting for 3-5 minutes between sets/attempts. Once a metcon starts it's up to the coach to give effective cues and make sure they're being heeded, and not just yell "active shoulders" then move on to someone else. If someone was doing something wrong I would stay with them til they demonstrated that they understood what I was telling them and proved they could fix it for subsequent reps. If they couldn't, then it was time to scale weights or movements.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #42
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
But I dont need Personal Trainers, I just wanted the environment, the group unity, that is around the CrossFit community.
Crossfit Seattle a long time ago was one of the first affiliates and consisted of 3 like-minded individuals in a garage. I think this would be the ideal situation for me, but alas I live in a weird Crossfit vacuum and have gone it alone for the most part in my garage for the past 7 years now. In that time I have acquired all the necessary 'yunk' to do the WOD's sufficiently, and I estimate my fiscal outlay to be less than or equal to a grand.

My experience with affiliates and competitions left me pretty tepid, so the membership fees are not justified.

Perhaps you find some local CF'ing partners to share the cost and pain in a similar scenario to the CF Seattle history.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #43
Ash Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
Perhaps you find some local CF'ing partners to share the cost and pain in a similar scenario to the CF Seattle history.
And if you want to do it on a larger scale, how about a co-op gym? Probably taboo to mention this on the CF website, but I see nothing wrong with 10-20 people pooling some cash for shared equity stakes in a non-profit, private gym that doesn't advertise itself as Crossfit, but might do the occasional training session for prospective members. Indoor climbing gyms are frequently run this way, but you rarely see or hear about them in general fitness. Maybe that's because the first and second rules of Private Gym Co-op are "You do not talk about Private Gym Co-op"
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #44
Charles Reagan

Profile:

I feel ya.Im posting trying to get a group of people together here in the Baltimore area.There are gyms here that train crossfit but they are wayyy out of my financial reach.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #45
Charles Reagan

Profile:

Just one more thing ,its funny I can run with the BRRC(baltimore roadrunners club)on the trails for free just about any weekend and to join is only 20 dollars a year.The races for non members are only 6 dollars and memebers pay 2.But running isnt enough.I love to add in the elements of a crossfit workout as well to cover all aspects of fitness as well.I think crossfit is a great thing but the problem is who can afford it.Too bad we couldnt get a non profit type club here....that would be cool..
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #46
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Sounds like poorly run classes then, or maybe just lazy or ineffective coaches. When I was coaching I would rotate around and give cues and corrections (with video if I had my camera on me) during the strength portions of workouts. All a coach has to do is have people stagger their attempts or sets by 20-30 seconds and he can see nearly everyone go, assuming they're resting for 3-5 minutes between sets/attempts. Once a metcon starts it's up to the coach to give effective cues and make sure they're being heeded, and not just yell "active shoulders" then move on to someone else. If someone was doing something wrong I would stay with them til they demonstrated that they understood what I was telling them and proved they could fix it for subsequent reps. If they couldn't, then it was time to scale weights or movements.
thius is what happens at my box Crossfitbrisbane. we always have at least three trainers present for each session and they have eyes in the back of their heads spotting bad form methinks. this is what i am happy to pay my fees for.

H
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #47
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
It's not that odd. There's no time. If you're in a 6pm class and you have warmup, stretching, strength work, WOD, and foam rolling to get through before the 7pm class, there's no time to work on technique other than private training on your own.
And who wrote the programming and scheduled the classes?

If you claim that people should pay you more than double the going rate because your coaching is better, then you need to make sure you actually provide the coaching.

Katherine
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #48
Andrea Guajardo

Profile:

I have been a part of both an affiliate and a co-op group. Hands down, a certified CF trainer is preferable even if I have to pay for it. The expertise in form, programming, etc is superior. Plus, he has the opportunity to train at a lot of other boxes so he can bring that new knowledge back to our box.

Bless their hearts, I admire that the co-op is giving it the old college try, but they're still amateurs.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #49
Rafael Clopez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
That is odd that a coach would not help you will technique before or during a WOD. If they see you are not using good form on something they just don't say anything because it is not private training? It is nothing like that at the box I go to, you have a question on something or want advice and the coaches are all very willing to help out.
I agree I am an instructor at a military affiliate and I take it as my personal goal and more importantly my responsibility to watch everyone during a WOD for proper form and stop someone when I don't see it. It would be a horrible thing to turn someone off from CrossFit because they hurt themselves and feel that it was because of the type of workout instead of improper form.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #50
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Let's be clear. There are great, good, average, mediocre and bad CrossFit Affiliate Gyms. At this point in time price is not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the affiliate. I expect over time price will start to be more of a reflection of the quality (also location) of the affiliate gyms.

This is separate from the success of an affiliate gym. Success has to do with cost structure and having a product enough members want.

There are a lot of personal trainers and globo gym employees jumping on the band wagon. Some drink the cool aid and become good CrossFit trainers, others bring the sleazy sales practices from their old work environment and are just trying to make a sale.

As in all purchases buyers be ware. Anyone can open an affiliate gym with about $7,500 and a space.