CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
Chris Brigham

Profile:
Re: Too much $$$

To ALL Posting... I do not doubt the worth of CrossFit, so everyone say "then it is most likely not for me" can stop. In my line of work, I 100% see the worth. I thought it was a simple question, which has been answered for me. Basically, because they can.... thats why. I know the numbers of setting up a home gym, and all the extras at a GLOBO. But I dont need Personal Trainers, I just wanted the environment, the group unity, that is around the CrossFit community. Thank you for all the advice and information to all.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #32
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
I thought it was a simple question, which has been answered for me. Basically, because they can.... thats why.
That's not what I got out of this thread. Simply by virtue of the fact that they charge what they do, it's obvious that they can.

But I don't think that's why they do. They charge what they do because that's what it costs to run the business.

Seems to me that you just want to take the pessimistic view that CF owners what they do simply because they can, thus framing them in your mind as gouging their clients. I doubt that you have seriously tried to look at the cost structure of a CF box in order to understand why the rates are what they are. Until you do that, you won't understand.

- Mark
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
To ALL Posting... I do not doubt the worth of CrossFit, so everyone say "then it is most likely not for me" can stop. In my line of work, I 100% see the worth. I thought it was a simple question, which has been answered for me. Basically, because they can.... thats why. I know the numbers of setting up a home gym, and all the extras at a GLOBO. But I dont need Personal Trainers, I just wanted the environment, the group unity, that is around the CrossFit community. Thank you for all the advice and information to all.
as an economist ( ) i can say it is far more than that. You can ask whatever price you like BUT if the client/purchaser does not see value in what they are getting for their money then the business will not be in business for long!

helen
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #34
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Well said, Helen. I tell people all the time time that price and value are two entirely different things.

Back to the OP. I've been a member of plenty of big box gyms, base gyms and deployed workout sessions. I've been a member of one affiliate.

It comes down to this. In a chain gym you pay a minimal fee per month and for that amount you get admission and nothing else. No coaching, no substantive staff involvement and certainly no specialized instruction. Around here the going rate for personal trainers in chain gyms (and I know several) is $60 and hour. You typically have to contract for a few sessions a week for several months on top of that.

For anyone who thinks that affiliate fees are somehow exorbitant: $3K per year. That's it. Bear in mind I'm a military non-profit, so our fee gets waived. HQ covers additional, significant, expenses that mil boxes have to their great credit. All of this eats into the widely presumed cash bonanza that the fringe likes to decry. I'll support and be loyal to HQ forever for the sole reason that they do a lot for me and the people in my box.

When you walk into my gym or any other affiliate you get very specific coaching, periodized training and safety. It's more or less like a martial arts gym, gymnastics or yoga studio. That's the difference. Attention to you.

Last edited by Casey Raiford : 10-09-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #35
Justin McGinley

Profile:

From the business side:

If you are lucky enough to find a warehouse space that is affordable, you can maybe make a CrossFit gym a full time job once you have about 120 or so members. Don't expect to make good money until you have 250+ members.

Rent, utilities, affiliation fees, insurance, equipment, office supplies, cleaning supplies, advertizing/marketing, trainer salaries, health insurance and taxes add up.

From the consumer side:

Do you appreciate coaching? Like technique correction? Enjoy being around other people that work hard? Push yourself harder when others are around? Tend to skip movements you don't like? Have a stressful job/life/etc and need an escape where you don't have to think for an hour? Enjoy making more progress than you've ever made before? Realize that $1800/year isn't a lot of money if it adds years and quality to your life?

Last edited by Justin McGinley : 10-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
Ash Smith

Profile:

While I personally agree with OP that it is an expensive proposition, I can't say it's "too expensive" for what many people need--and receive.

I look around me every day at people who spend $400-$800/mo on a new car, while my 13-year-old daily driver does 90% of the same stuff with 90% of the reliability...and has been paid off for 8 years, has virtually no depreciation, and costs peanuts to keep running. (knock on wood)

How about $100/mo for a cell phone when $30 would suffice? Or $150 for cable when $8/mo for streaming works very well? I can't always force my m.o. on others, as much as I might think my way is the better way.

It's all a matter of personal budget, and IMO those car/cell/cable buyers are far sillier than people investing $150/mo for professional fitness instruction and the motivation of a class setting.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #37
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
Do you appreciate coaching? Like technique correction?
I take issue with this. When I was going to my local affiliate, the only coaching that occurred was during the 4 session onramp classes, after that you're on your own or have to pay for private training. Regular members don't get any coaching - they just get driven through the warmup, strength work, and WOD.

I still think $150 isn't a bad price to pay for access to an affiliate's equipment and programming, but it's wrongheaded to state categorically that coaching or technique correction is part of the deal.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #38
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
I take issue with this. When I was going to my local affiliate, the only coaching that occurred was during the 4 session onramp classes, after that you're on your own or have to pay for private training. Regular members don't get any coaching - they just get driven through the warmup, strength work, and WOD.

I still think $150 isn't a bad price to pay for access to an affiliate's equipment and programming, but it's wrongheaded to state categorically that coaching or technique correction is part of the deal.
That is odd that a coach would not help you will technique before or during a WOD. If they see you are not using good form on something they just don't say anything because it is not private training? It is nothing like that at the box I go to, you have a question on something or want advice and the coaches are all very willing to help out.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #39
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Smith View Post
While I personally agree with OP that it is an expensive proposition, I can't say it's "too expensive" for what many people need--and receive.

I look around me every day at people who spend $400-$800/mo on a new car, while my 13-year-old daily driver does 90% of the same stuff with 90% of the reliability...and has been paid off for 8 years, has virtually no depreciation, and costs peanuts to keep running. (knock on wood)

How about $100/mo for a cell phone when $30 would suffice? Or $150 for cable when $8/mo for streaming works very well? I can't always force my m.o. on others, as much as I might think my way is the better way.

It's all a matter of personal budget, and IMO those car/cell/cable buyers are far sillier than people investing $150/mo for professional fitness instruction and the motivation of a class setting.
No joke...

There's also the question of what really motiviates you to show up. With a globo membership I tended not to go because I had to leave the house, drive, ect... even a 5-minute drive makes me less likely to bother going. With home equipment I'm much better about working out regularly. The group setting of an affilliate might be different, I'm not sure. If my wife wanted to do it with me at an affilliate it might up the ambition level too, but paying for two memberships results in a monthly bill that I can't imagine accepting.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #40
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
That is odd that a coach would not help you will technique before or during a WOD. If they see you are not using good form on something they just don't say anything because it is not private training? It is nothing like that at the box I go to, you have a question on something or want advice and the coaches are all very willing to help out.
It's not that odd. There's no time. If you're in a 6pm class and you have warmup, stretching, strength work, WOD, and foam rolling to get through before the 7pm class, there's no time to work on technique other than private training on your own. Sure, a box owner might yell "active shoulders" or "set your back" during a WOD, but this isn't exactly helpful in developing actual proficiency in the movements, particularly technical ones like oly lifts.