CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
PaulEwing

Profile:
Newcomer to CF with a few questions

First off, hello everyone! So, I've been into weightlifting for a couple years now. At my universities' gym, they host free crossfit classes and I've been interested in trying it out. Unfortunately, this semester I couldn't fit them into my schedule. My personal workouts usually consist of about 30 minutes of cardio, then an hour to an hour and a half of weights. I usually go to the gym about 3 days a week, and split up different sections of the body.

My first question is this: How exactly should I get into crossfit? The past couple weeks, I've been trying to throw in some of the more complex exercises into my workouts. (Snatches, Muscle-ups, etc.) Is it healthy to just drop the heavy weightlifting and dive right into the crossfit workouts? Or would it be better to stick to weightlifting a couple days a week and CF workouts a couple days a week? (I know that when I got into weightlifting, I learned that one of the most important parts of working out is resting, hence why I work out 3 days a week, and give my body the other 4 days to recover.)

My second question is: How should I change my diet? I read through the CF nutrition and diet guides and was surprised to see how many of the carbs I eat were listed in the high-glycemic side that you should "stay away from." I've never had a problem with weight gain (In fact I've had far more difficulty putting on weight than losing it) so to what extent should I be cutting these out of my diet? The hardest to stomach - pun intended - is the bread and jelly. PB&J's are a staple to my diet as a full time student with a job (I like the double fiber, grain bread as it helps keep my digestive tract in order with all the protein, preworkouts, etc.). I rarely have time to cook so I eat a lot of protein shakes, egg whites, carrots/celery, PB&J's, and chicken. I try to stay away from most dairy but I do eat cottage cheese and fat-free milk. I also love granola with bananas for breakfast, both of which I believe are high-glycemic. If I haven't had a problem with these before, is it safe to say I can keep my diet the same?

My last question is: Do I need to change my supplement intake? I currently take a multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin C every day, as well as preworkouts before I go the gym.

Sorry for the long read, I just want to make sure I'm doing things the right way as I start Crossfit. For the record, I'm 19, M/6'2"/185 pounds. Thanks in advance and I look forward to trying something new at the gym!

Paul