CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
David Orsini

Profile:
Just started this weekend… how long until I don’t feel like a complete wuss?

Just started CrossFit over the weekend, did like a 2.5 hour training session Saturday and Sunday and did a WOD at the end of each day. I haven’t been this sore in a while, and I was terrible at most of the stuff we were doing. I am in relatively decent shape… 6’2” 205lbs. Was hovering between 220-225 until about a month ago, my wife just left me so I dropped a few pounds simply not being able to eat, but that is a whole other story. But I have worked out my whole life, normal weight lifting stuff, plyometrics, HIIT, and I play some sports still. So I guess my main question, is how long does it typically take most new CrossFitters to start ‘feeling’ results. Not worried about ‘seeing’, although that would be nice too, just wondering how long I will feel like a complete wuss in there not being able to do many kipping pull ups, etc? Said another way, how long until I get used to the basic movements and am no longer a noob?

Also, in case anyone here is from Atlanta, any recommendations on a good gym? I am currently trying out BTB Buckhead.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Aku Pöllänen

Profile:
Re: Just started this weekend… how long until I don’t feel like a complete wuss?

If you really have good athletic background it shouldn't take long before you are familiar with the movements and start completing your wods decently. Atleast for me it didn't take long, maybe couple weeks. Becoming really good is of course an other case
Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
David Orsini

Profile:
Re: Just started this weekend… how long until I don’t feel like a complete wuss?

Thanks. Going to my first actual class (non training) tonight. I will come back in a few weeks to do a 4 week "testimonial" as to where I am.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Been doing CrossFit for 3 years. Watch Regionals videos, feel like wuss. If it ever goes away I'll let you know.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Never. There is always someone better, weaknesses to improve on, and new skills to learn. Be humbled and compare yourself today to yourself yesterday rather than others
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Don't be so hard on yourself, this all takes time. There are quite a few boxes in Atlanta, so you can be choosey. I would definitely recommend one with a Foundations/On Ramp/Beginners program. It's less intimidating and allows for more Q&A, repitition, and camraderie of newness. Not sure if CF East Decatur is near you, but I have a friend who used to train there, and the owner is a games level athelete.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
David Orsini

Profile:

Unfortunately Decatur is not near me... but the Buckhead box has been pretty solid so far. They don't have a ramp up program, but I do know at least 1 person there so that is good on the camraderie front.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Jeremiah C Johnson

Profile:

This is perhaps the best reason for keeping a journal. You get to see progress. There will almost always be someone bigger, stronger and faster than you but when you start beating yourself Crossfit REALLY starts to get fun! The first time I did Grace I did it with 95#....very humbling. Two months later I did it prescribed. Man what an awesome feeling. I think I was in the bottom two or three for time at our box but who cares? I beat myself! Now I can start working on time. Trust me man, a couple of months from now you will be throwing up weights and crushing pullups like you never thought possible!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Michael Mantione

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Been doing CrossFit for 3 years. Watch Regionals videos, feel like wuss. If it ever goes away I'll let you know.
HAHAH same