CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Mike Yordy

Profile:
Protein/fat intake for a lower BF%

So, I decided to log back into My fitness pal after 6 months of not tracking my food and only about 3 months of true Paleo. I know my portions have gotten a little out of hand. I have become stronger, but also bigger. I had good success with it last year when it was the norm to idolize Arnold and the wearing of extra-medium shirts . I quickly realized that something wasn't right when I couldn't clear a short wall with a 40# plate carrier. I have done crossfit off and on, but got serious about it when I deployed. I began doing about 1-1.5 hours of a sealfit wod when I became strict about Paleo.

Now for the stats, problems and what I'm trying to accomplish.

25/M
6'
248#
24% BF (according to the neck/waist tape)

I haven't recorded any CF times, but here is what I got from our last PT test.

1.5 mile: 11:30 (lost 20 seconds in the last 6 months)
Bench: 290#
Pull ups:15

The issues I'm having are with sleep and diet. I can only get about 4 hours of sleep on an exercise day and 6-7 hours on an off day. That added with 12-14 hours on the one day I don't work. It's not that I can't or won't sleep. I would sleep the hell out of some sleep if I was afforded the opportunity. The problem is that the job calls for 14-16 hour days, 6 days a week. For the longest time I was doing WODs each day until I either burnt out or a scheduled rest day came around. Now, along with monitoring intake, I'm going to stick to a one on one off schedule (I always noticed that my best workouts were after 10+ hours of sleep...weird).

Now for the intake. The only thing I can roughly account for is the protein/fat portion. Each day is pretty much the same. Pile as much food as you can into a to-go tray, empty it into tupperware and go to work. Besides the meat section, everything else is either fruit or veggies. Started cutting back on the nuts and using them as only a pre-workout snack. Here is a short list of an average day. This would be the highest fat intake overall. I know it's possible to consume 250g+ of protein with only ~80g of fat using egg whites, lean meat, and lots of fish. Problem now is availability.

Breakfast:
4 Large Eggs: Cal. 280 Fat. 16 Protein 24
1 Bubba Buger: Cal. 340 Fat. 26 Protein 23

Lunch/Dinner:
2 Dfac Burgers: Cal. 800 Fat. 46 Protein 50

Snack:
1 oz. Mixed Nuts: Cal. 165 Carbs. 7 Fat. 14 Protein. 5

Total: Cal. 1585/2480 Carbs. 7 Fat. 102 Protein. 102

Goals are to reduce BF% and drop some weight. Not too worried about low protein days like this since I have a lot of excess BF that can be burned as energy.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Protein/fat intake for a lower BF%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yordy View Post
So, I decided to log back into My fitness pal after 6 months of not tracking my food and only about 3 months of true Paleo. I know my portions have gotten a little out of hand. I have become stronger, but also bigger. I had good success with it last year when it was the norm to idolize Arnold and the wearing of extra-medium shirts . I quickly realized that something wasn't right when I couldn't clear a short wall with a 40# plate carrier. I have done crossfit off and on, but got serious about it when I deployed. I began doing about 1-1.5 hours of a sealfit wod when I became strict about Paleo.

Now for the stats, problems and what I'm trying to accomplish.

25/M
6'
248#
24% BF (according to the neck/waist tape)

I haven't recorded any CF times, but here is what I got from our last PT test.

1.5 mile: 11:30 (lost 20 seconds in the last 6 months)
Bench: 290#
Pull ups:15

The issues I'm having are with sleep and diet. I can only get about 4 hours of sleep on an exercise day and 6-7 hours on an off day. That added with 12-14 hours on the one day I don't work. It's not that I can't or won't sleep. I would sleep the hell out of some sleep if I was afforded the opportunity. The problem is that the job calls for 14-16 hour days, 6 days a week. For the longest time I was doing WODs each day until I either burnt out or a scheduled rest day came around. Now, along with monitoring intake, I'm going to stick to a one on one off schedule (I always noticed that my best workouts were after 10+ hours of sleep...weird).

Now for the intake. The only thing I can roughly account for is the protein/fat portion. Each day is pretty much the same. Pile as much food as you can into a to-go tray, empty it into tupperware and go to work. Besides the meat section, everything else is either fruit or veggies. Started cutting back on the nuts and using them as only a pre-workout snack. Here is a short list of an average day. This would be the highest fat intake overall. I know it's possible to consume 250g+ of protein with only ~80g of fat using egg whites, lean meat, and lots of fish. Problem now is availability.

Breakfast:
4 Large Eggs: Cal. 280 Fat. 16 Protein 24
1 Bubba Buger: Cal. 340 Fat. 26 Protein 23

Lunch/Dinner:
2 Dfac Burgers: Cal. 800 Fat. 46 Protein 50

Snack:
1 oz. Mixed Nuts: Cal. 165 Carbs. 7 Fat. 14 Protein. 5

Total: Cal. 1585/2480 Carbs. 7 Fat. 102 Protein. 102

Goals are to reduce BF% and drop some weight. Not too worried about low protein days like this since I have a lot of excess BF that can be burned as energy.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.

Uh... you eat nothing but meat and nuts? If you are even remotely active (since you CF this qualifies),1500 calories is crazy. Double your calories, eat all the vegetables you can fit on your plate and about the same AMOUNT of meat you are now, but look for non-ground beef options (whole cuts of meat - steak, chicken breast, pork etc) because ground beef in a cafeteria setting is going to be a lot of low quality, high fat.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Mike Yordy

Profile:

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. For example, today I got two burger patties and put them in a styrofoam tray. They took up about 1/4 of the tray, so the other 3/4 was filled in with lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers. With that I grabbed two bananas, two peaches and two plums. That will be my lunch/dinner for the remaining 16 hours.

I guess my question is, would regulating my fat intake at ~100g and calories at ~2500 be sufficient for reducing BF?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Yes, it would.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yordy View Post
Why is it weird?
Sleep is a crucial factor for most people when it comes to performance and fat loss. What do you do and how much physical activity do you get at work?

If I was in your position - and I know it's easier said than done - I would sleep as much as I can for the 6 days and not bother working out, and do some full body work on the 7th day. Full body work not being a marathon WOD, but maybe some sprints or sled dragging, heavy C&Js / snatches or pullups / dips, or instead just a long hilly hike or walk or swim.

A bunch of people including myself have experienced a significant change in appetite and body composition when we get enough sleep and rest, and stress levels are low. If you want to drop fat and weight I think it is worthwhile experimenting with prioritising sleep over working out for 2-3 months. I would also think that your body needs some rest from being burnt out from the WODs.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Mike Yordy

Profile:

Thanks for the input. Doing security contracting in Iraq. The work varies each day. It's convoy and static security, so time is spent either in the back of an suv or walking circles in a certain area. Not much physical activity, but a lot of time outside in the heat.

I think I'll give the one on, one off approach a try. Maybe one on, two off a week or two after that. I'll check back in here with some input on how those routines pan out.