CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Kurt Mueller

Profile:
How to Stay Fit During Shoulder Rehab

I'm under strict doctor's orders to rest all upper body lifts (except for my PT stuff) while rehabbing a shoulder impingement with all sorts of other cool stuff (I'll spare you the details). Basically, I can't do any weighted exercises that use my shoulder, even tangentially. This includes squats because of gripping the bar and weight on the shoulder itself. What the H should I do for the next six weeks? Three days of heavy leg presses along with some leg curls and extensions and core work in addition to sprints or something? I'm lost, guys. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: How to Stay Fit During Shoulder Rehab

Sled sprints with lighter weight.
sled walks with heavier weight.
sled really slow walks with really really heavy weight.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Kurt Mueller

Profile:

That sounds pretty awesome, but I don't have access to a sled. I have the weights and a handful of machines at the gym, along with running shoes and a track and a couple bikes and roads and trails, and I'm already riding frequently. Any other ideas?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Lots of different leg stuff you can work on like pistols, whatever type of lunges there are, core work, etc.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Max Philipsson

Profile:

I had a shoulder surgery a couple of years ago so i know the feeling.

You can only do so much legs, i did one day sprints, the next day lunges or body weight squats in big numbers, and then i put the last day as a core day with a lot of back ext, rev back ext, situps, rev situp. Then i rested for a day and the last day of the cycle i did a long run.

But you have to open your mind to other goals aswell. This is a great time for you to get more flexible in your hip and legs. Set a goal for flexibility in each movement and then go for it. Try learn as much as possible about mobility and flexibility as you can during this period. You will benefit a lot from this once you're back in real training, trust me.

Also try creating your own wods and try new things, new leg movements etc... This will help you be a better athlete and trainer aswell (if you like to train other people of course).

The control of being able to do real training has been taken from you. Try not to focus on what you cannot control but use this time to focus on the things you can control. Your mobility and stretching work, your nutrition. I put a lot of focus on my nutrition when i was injured and saw great results from this alone. The dr said that i really made a change in the healing process by doing this and said that he never seen someone make that kind of healing before from that kind of injury.

Thats my best advice. Hope for a good recovery for you!

/

Max
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Kurt Mueller

Profile:

Thanks, Max and Steven. I'd kind of ignored the possibility of single-leg movements and really focusing on mobility. Maybe I'll do a handful of KStar's MWODs each day and a bunch of pistols. Any other good single-leg stuff I should check out? Any specific mobility drills you guys suggest?