CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Taking Heat For CrossFit

If any program you are doing matches your current fitness goals then the program is good.

If people don't understand that then they are being myopic.

Want GGP and weight loss then CrossFit and Zone/Paleo is a great program.

Want to be the strongest or fastest over long distances then CrossFit is not the answer.

In life always ask if todays actions are leading to your goals. If they are then your good.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
Erin Hightower

Profile:
Re: Taking Heat For Crossfit

opposite for me.... mostly everyone I know has been super supportive of my newfounded cf-ness. In fact I had a sorority sister that never talks to me contact me and say how impressed she was.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
Jared Ashley

Profile:

True story:

Most of the people who think I'm working out incorrectly are bigger, slower, and weaker than me.

Most of the people who think I work out dangerously are bigger and weaker than the first group, and many have injuries and chronic pain.

Most of the people who encourage my workout methods are stronger and faster than me.

Makes my decision easy.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #24
Jenny David

Profile:

I don't have any contact with the "strength community" so I can't relate to any of that. But on the other end of the spectrum, I've had friends, coworkers, and even acquaintances give me tons of positive feedback while wanting to know everything that Crossfit entails! Like so many others have said before me, ignore them and continue doing what makes you happy! (that can go for most things in life!)
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #25
Daniel Sont

Profile:

All my friends think I am an idiot for eating bacon alot, and think I am not going to lose weight... and they also disagree with my opinion that cardio is a waste of time for fat loss, as you may as well just eat less, and save yourself time. CF for the win! (not that cardio isn't awesome, just that for fat loss... Over-hyped?)

But im getting closer to visible abs so ha
I'll show them!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
Joshua Yuhas

Profile:

I've had a couple instances where people have said it's not good for your joints etc etc.

Ask any Doctor, any physical trainer, any weight loss guru "What exercise should I do to lose weight and get in shape??" Know what their answer will be?

"The one that you'll do."

I have no idea the science behind crossfit or the opposing viewpoints. What I do know is that I have worked out more, because of crossfit, over the last couple months than I have in the last couple years.

So when some one tries to down play the benefits of crossfit or that it's not effective - I smile and thank them for their opinion and ask the above question. I also answer it for them. They have no response to that, because it's fact.

Running could be the worlds greatest exercise ever. Makes you lose a pound of fat a day - but if you don't do it, it is worth exactly nothing.

That's my take.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #27
Amy Larson

Profile:

Running is huge in my town, and it is pretty much the only thing that most people think counts as real exercise. Okay triathalons are acceptable too, and the longer you go on your swim, bike, runs the cooler you are. Funny how those endurance athletes all end up getting hurt, especially the runners.

I've gone full circle, took up Crossfit as an alternative to running but have found after a couple years I am a weakling. I love the oly lifts and have decided for the time being to concentrate on them. Maybe I'm an idiot as there is no oly gym within two hours, but I look forward to working out and love not having all the aches and pains. Hopefully I will learn a thing or two at a CF oly cert next weekend.

It's easier to keep the fat off with the lifting and a couple conditioning (sprinting, butcher, row etc) workouts per week. My diet right now isn't great, not terrible but not 100% anything. I'm actually enjoying not worrying about it right now.

I never talk about what I do for exercise, I don't care what other people do so don't expect anyone to care or be interested in my thing.