CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Taking Heat For Crossfit

Nice links Tamara. I am also a form believer and practitioner of living with ridiculously extraordinary freedom, never mind the haters!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vaughn View Post
...I got a couple of messages pointing out that my weight was "pathetic" and asking why I didn't use more....
Generally, these types of UN-constrictive criticism tell much more about the people talking than the people being talked to.

I did a Dynamic Effort-ish day last week for presses. Felt weird doing doubles at 70% weight... probably looked weird, too. My body, however, loved it. My shoulders and arms were the only things not feeling the DOMs on that particular day, so I was able to get a productive lift in with a protocol I don't use often. Nobody knows what else is going on in your mind or body, so just ignore the stupid comments. Now a reasonable question on the other hand is a totally different story... I love when people are genuinely asking, "Why are you doing THAT?"
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you can squat 450+lbs you're strong enough to not have to worry about people criticizing you over something as silly as "only" squatting 275lbs in a workout...nevermind that it was dynamic effort-type stuff a few days out from competition. Just ignore them.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
Chris Vaughn

Profile:

Thanks guys. I'm getting to the point in life where being huge, stuffing food down my throat to gain weight, and putting myself under crushing loads... I just don't want to do it anymore. I'm 33 and have been competing for almost ten years. After obtaining a shelf full of trophies (drug free, mind you), what more do I have to prove?

I think I've been looking for Crossfit for a few years but was denying it because...? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this will take me. I will always lift hard and heavy, but I want to be all-around at this point in my life rather than just working on one area.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vaughn View Post
Thanks guys. I'm getting to the point in life where being huge, stuffing food down my throat to gain weight, and putting myself under crushing loads... I just don't want to do it anymore. I'm 33 and have been competing for almost ten years. After obtaining a shelf full of trophies (drug free, mind you), what more do I have to prove?

I think I've been looking for Crossfit for a few years but was denying it because...? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this will take me. I will always lift hard and heavy, but I want to be all-around at this point in my life rather than just working on one area.
You da man, Chris
Old 05-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
Michael Dowling

Profile:

you'll get heat for everything you want to do, there will always be haters trying to bring you down. try stopping crossfit to do an exclusive strength program and see how that's received with CF'ers.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Heck you'll take more heat on the CF boards for doing CF than you will for stopping CF to get stronger.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Scott Walters

Profile:

Hell, I am a chiropractor. I take heat for riding my bike, in case i fall and break a wrist. I take heat for riding a motorbike cause its dangerous. I take haet for teaching scuba diving and going cave diving cause I might get hurt. I get heat for doing martial arts at 40.

So? Its my life, I intend to live it. As I see fit.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
I take heat for riding a motorbike cause its dangerous.
i ride a motorcycle too and i can't go a day without hearing how dangerous it is (typically by people who have never ridden one). i get to hear endless stories about how this person died, this person is a vegetable, this guy lost a limb...

I've had a guy in his 50's smoking probably his 20th cigarette of the day by mid-afternoon with stick arms and a probably 60 inches of belly fat lecture me on how motorcycles are so dangerous and will kill me. the irony was lost on him though...

i chalk it up to dudes who would love to ride a motorcycle but their wives won't let them or they just don't have the balls to go and do it, so they have to try and kill my fun.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Chad Anderson

Profile:

Chris-

Do what you do because you love it. When you stop loving it, find what is new and interesting (this does not always apply to marriage, but it sure does with our recreation).

I lifted heavy for years and will never forsake lifting, but needed some other outlets that would cause less overall damage in the long run.

My heavy lifting buds were not happy to see me give up my gym membership, but such is life. They were gym buds, not real friends.

Crossfit at our box is friendlier than my old gym anyhow. Plus it accomplishes all of what I need- stress relief, a place to lay it on the line now and again and squat, dead or press some serious weight, lots of technique work in the Oly lifts, some running and many straight up endurance workouts.

Good luck with the transition. I had many days where I questioned my own sanity to give up the known for the unknown. But I can run, hike, bike and do most everything else easier.