CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Jason R Smith

Profile:
Introduction + Few Questions

Hello Crossfit Forums! Long story short: I'm a 5'11" runner who has gone from 200# to 150# in 2010. I've run 1 1/2 (1:45), 2 full (4:01 & 3:52), and one ultra 50K (6:30). I feel very fit but I think I'm underweight now.

Current Home Equipment List:
1. elliptical
2. bowflex (yeah yeah I know… Had it for over 6 yrs and we have USED it!)
3. I have a set of dumbbells (3,5,8,10#).
4. I have 2 kettle bells, one adjustable 20# and a T-Bar which I have 65#
currently loaded (I shoot for 3x75 swings 2-3x per week).
At the same time I made my T-Bar I also made a pull up bar using my rafters in the basement out of 3/4 nipple pipe (5' long). Currently working through the 20 consecutive program I've found online, I am at 7 max.

Now I'm looking to expand my setup to better support Crossfit. Thus I'm planning on building my own rack + bench using some of the plans I've found via these forums. I'm very capable with wood work and I have a 35'x12' work shop in my basement that I can do anything with.

I'd like to take a 10'x12' area (approx.) to build up my power rack and I'd like to get an Olympic bar + weights.

I think I can manage this with little $ overall. I know the bar + weights will probably run me around $600-$750 depending on what I get and I’ve been shopping online (places like Rouge Fitness).

The only box is 30-45 min away in Saint Louis which makes it very difficult with a family + work + running to get into on a regular basis.

So I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions? Has anyone built their own setup here? How long did it take? How difficult is it?

Thank you for taking the time to read and for any suggestions or help you might provide!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Introduction + Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R Smith View Post
Hello Crossfit Forums! Long story short: I'm a 5'11" runner who has gone from 200# to 150# in 2010. I've run 1 1/2 (1:45), 2 full (4:01 & 3:52), and one ultra 50K (6:30). I feel very fit but I think I'm underweight now.

Current Home Equipment List:
1. elliptical
2. bowflex (yeah yeah I know… Had it for over 6 yrs and we have USED it!)
3. I have a set of dumbbells (3,5,8,10#).
4. I have 2 kettle bells, one adjustable 20# and a T-Bar which I have 65#
currently loaded (I shoot for 3x75 swings 2-3x per week).
At the same time I made my T-Bar I also made a pull up bar using my rafters in the basement out of 3/4 nipple pipe (5' long). Currently working through the 20 consecutive program I've found online, I am at 7 max.

Now I'm looking to expand my setup to better support Crossfit. Thus I'm planning on building my own rack + bench using some of the plans I've found via these forums. I'm very capable with wood work and I have a 35'x12' work shop in my basement that I can do anything with.

I'd like to take a 10'x12' area (approx.) to build up my power rack and I'd like to get an Olympic bar + weights.

I think I can manage this with little $ overall. I know the bar + weights will probably run me around $600-$750 depending on what I get and I’ve been shopping online (places like Rouge Fitness).

The only box is 30-45 min away in Saint Louis which makes it very difficult with a family + work + running to get into on a regular basis.

So I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions? Has anyone built their own setup here? How long did it take? How difficult is it?

Thank you for taking the time to read and for any suggestions or help you might provide!

Get yourself a bar and plates/bumpers or dumbells off craigslist, a jump rope, and a box, and you should be able to get a plethora of workouts at home out of it!

Other than that I would highly recommend getting yourself into one of the CF Gyms in STL for an intro session, even if you can only make it in for one or two sessions to get some coaching on the movements. I am a member at what is probably the closest affiliate to you, CF TNT off 370, they have a 3x per week for 1 month intro period, but they also offer the first week free if you want to try it out, and have membership plans broken up by how often you will attend, so even if you can only make it over once a week on Saturday, you can probably work with them. For me its not the closest affiliate to my home/work, but I find the 15-20 minutes to get there is very worthwhile.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Jason R Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post

Get yourself a bar and plates/bumpers or dumbells off craigslist, a jump rope, and a box, and you should be able to get a plethora of workouts at home out of it!

Other than that I would highly recommend getting yourself into one of the CF Gyms in STL for an intro session, even if you can only make it in for one or two sessions to get some coaching on the movements. I am a member at what is probably the closest affiliate to you, CF TNT off 370, they have a 3x per week for 1 month intro period, but they also offer the first week free if you want to try it out, and have membership plans broken up by how often you will attend, so even if you can only make it over once a week on Saturday, you can probably work with them. For me its not the closest affiliate to my home/work, but I find the 15-20 minutes to get there is very worthwhile.
I'd love to come over and "play". I'll need to discuss it more with my wife. Any idea how long a session is? I'd really like to get some time with people who know the moves and the wod's.

Thanks for the feedback/info!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
I'd love to come over and "play". I'll need to discuss it more with my wife. Any idea how long a session is? I'd really like to get some time with people who know the moves and the wod's.

Usually an hour including warmup, skill / strength work, WOD, peeling self off floor, stretching.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:

Yep, all the intro classes are an hour. Assuming that you stuck around and complete the intro, all group classes are also an hour during the week as well as focus training, performance and core conditioning classes.. the only class that regularly runs over an hour is the Saturday group (separate from Saturday intro), which tends to run long due to either longer wods or multiple heats of the wod because of a much larger group + the trainers all working out together.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Jason R Smith

Profile:

Ok regarding Craigslist. I've never bought anything from Craigslist. When I searched the Saint Louis area I didn't see any rubber bumpers (with kids & wife in the house quiet is important). I saw some bars but I'm not well educated when it comes to bars/plates.

1. So should I just buy new? Is this just a budget issue?
2. If I buy used is there something I should avoid?
3. For example I believe many of the olympic bars have rotating sleeves correct?
4. How important are the rotating sleeves?
5. Is the jump rope something special, or something that I can pickup at Walmart/Target?
6. I plan on building my own plyoboxes.

I'm as much excited about building the stuff as I am using it!

TIA! I can't wait to get started.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:

Ok regarding Craigslist. I've never bought anything from Craigslist. When I searched the Saint Louis area I didn't see any rubber bumpers (with kids & wife in the house quiet is important). I saw some bars but I'm not well educated when it comes to bars/plates.

1. So should I just buy new? Is this just a budget issue?
2. If I buy used is there something I should avoid?
3. For example I believe many of the olympic bars have rotating sleeves correct?
4. How important are the rotating sleeves?
5. Is the jump rope something special, or something that I can pickup at Walmart/Target?
6. I plan on building my own plyoboxes.

I'm as much excited about building the stuff as I am using it!

TIA! I can't wait to get started.
Theres a few threads about this stuff in the equipment section already so perhaps check those out first. In the meantime, with regards to a bar, the better the rotation the better for Olympic lifts (CJ & Snatch) and also the more you'll pay for it. The better quality bars will have a lifetime guarantee so in my opinion you're best to get the best bar you can afford since it'll last forever instead of starting out with a cheaper one then paying more to replace it.

The jump rope doesn't need to be anything too special IMO, but the faster it is the easier it makes double unders.

Theres a journal article on building plyboxes, theres also a thread or 2 in the equipment section on people who have tried it.