CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Phillip Kerr

Profile:
Murph weight vest or no weight vest?

So I'm going to be doing Murph for the first time tomorrow would it be wise to wait for the next time through to use a vest or just say screw it and use one anyways? I have been doing Crossfit for about 3 months and I'm a pretty skinny guy at 150 ilbs and really good at bodyweight stuff. I just want more of a challenge but I don't want to overdo it.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Murph weight vest or no weight vest?

How many rounds of Cindy can you do? If it's less than 20, or if you've never done Cindy before and don't know, skip the vest. You'll be challenged plenty without it.

Katherine
Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

"Screw it and do it anyways" when you're relatively new to CF-style training is generally a bad idea, unless you want to get hurt or be too sore to work out for the next 6 days.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Weighted Murph after 3 months is bat $hit crazy if you ask me. Get yourself a baseline doing it RXd and see what the next 3 months bring. I promise it is plenty challenging without the weight especially if you don't partition it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
Jon West

Profile:

Last time we did murph, only 5 of us wore a vest out of ~30 people total for that day.

Coach didn't allow quite a few people to wear a vest, most chose not too, and several were told it would be best to cut the workout in half.

3 months in, I totally understand your excitement, but I would discourage it (the vest, not your excitement lol). You will get your chance again to tackle the beast.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Casey Connor

Profile:

I'd highly suggest you skip the vest. Running w/ extra weight is especially harsh on joints (knees, ankles, hips). If you would like to eventually do it with the vest I'd recommend a tiered approach where the first time you do it with just the vest (no weight). You'll be surprised how much hotter you are with it on which screws with your temperature regulation. Then gradually increase it 5 lbs at a time. The first time I ever ran w/ a camelbak (approx 8 lbs full) I hurt myself pretty bad that took a very long time to recover fully. That was after I had been running half marathons for a while. I didn't think a 1.5 mile run w/ a camelbak would give me any problems. I was obviously wrong.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Unless you are someone used to running under a load like that such as myself or a military operator expect some injuries. In the infantry we do stupid things a lot one of the popular things when I was coming in was IBA runs, an IBA weights about 25-30lbs and you tack on a camelback for hydration and thats a round 40lbs.

That is a smoker so be ready for it though my point is do it without anything on first then try it with a vest....its a huge difference and expect your elbows to hate you...your shoulders too.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Matt J Negline

Profile:

Ok I'm thinking why not try the vest. If your form is good and your not risking injury why the hell not. Yes you will hurt the next dog like a broke dead dog, but Christ it won't kill you. You can always take the vest off mid way through. My belief is if it won't kill you or hurt you in a bad way ..... Do it!!
But beware...... You will certainly know the definition of pain.

Just remeber, ideas are a common as dirt, it's when you add a little blood sweat and tears that you can shape that dirt into something to admire.

Lol that was deep.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Michael Stiles

Profile:

...so what did you do and how did it work out?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt J Negline View Post
Ok I'm thinking why not try the vest. If your form is good and your not risking injury why the hell not. Yes you will hurt the next dog like a broke dead dog, but Christ it won't kill you. You can always take the vest off mid way through. My belief is if it won't kill you or hurt you in a bad way ..... Do it!!
But beware...... You will certainly know the definition of pain.

Just remeber, ideas are a common as dirt, it's when you add a little blood sweat and tears that you can shape that dirt into something to admire.

Lol that was deep.
See, the thing is that adding 20lbs to 100 pullups, 200 pushups, and 300 squats in addition to 2 miles of running does stand a decent chance of injuring a beginner CFer. That's a lot of added impact on your joints for the runs and extra loading on the shoulders for pullups that are most likely kipped. Even if you don't get an overuse injury, making yourself too sore to work out for the next 5 days isn't a productive way to keep making progress in your training.