CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Daniel Sprenkle

Profile:
After watching the burpee video on 18 Jan, I am wondering if you are losing the conditioning aspect by doing the burpees so slowly. I've been doing them for 18 months and have followed the example as shown by Rosstraining.com which shows them being performed much faster. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Daniel,

As far as I know the reason for the "slower" version of the burpees is that some people have exeperience lower back pain when doing a lot of burpees in a row. There was a pretty good discussion on burpee form a last year If you use the Search feature you should be able to find it.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I think most burpees in that video were slowed down as a teaching tool, emphasizing correct form and scaling options.

More CF Burpee video. Burpee race video, CF site, safe.
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/burpee-race.wmv
from here:
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000974.html

There was some debate a while back about the extreme back flexion of burpees being a bad thing, but I'm not sure what ever came of it(other than they are still in the WOD's, so I guess they're ok).
some discussion here:
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/001021.html

Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Ian Carver

Profile:
I also think the burpees were done slower on purpose for the video as a demonstration as to the proper execution. Allen's right though, I've slowed mine down a bit so I don't get sloppy and I get my legs under me into a deep squat position before I jump up. This has helped my lower back a bit from getting overcooked on long sets. I still get a hellacious workout from them in this manner.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Actually, after rereading all the comments, that last link has some language issues. So it isn't family safe.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Christine Crawford

Profile:
I can't do burpees fast at all because I lack the proper strength and flexibility right now. I do know that fast or slow, they are pretty dang tough! Who invented such a horrid exercise?? I hope my trainer is not reading this post. I don't need him to punish me with a burpee workout.

Christine #1 Burpee slacker...

Old 01-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #7

Profile:

that was possibly one of the worst minutes of my life.

RE extreme back flexion being problematic - potentially, yes. burpees are definitely not something to throw at the novice who does not yet have the requisite flexibility, strength and coordination to make each rep consistently sound at even slow speeds. They're no different than any other movement in that respect. On
Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Joe Marsh

Profile:
I find that easing people into burpees, until they have the requisite flexibilty, is rather feasible. I normally elevate the surface from which they burpee and/or eliminate the pushup/jump, ie burpee off of the smith machine bar. This is one of the best apparatus for teaching and coaching a multitude of calisthenics and body weight movements. It's too bad people keep hogging them for dreadful looking squats and bench presses that are far too heavy.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Travis Hall

Profile:

there was a crossfit live episode where coach g. talked about burpess and the flexion problem.

personally i love (...hate...) them and do them as fast as i can without puking.

t.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
David Vessey

Profile:
I never thought that much about burpees, other than hating them on the filthy fifties.
Just watched the video though, and I guess I wasn't doing them quite properly. instead of jumping back to a squat, I was just tucking my legs up underneath my torso and then jumping, mostly from my toes.

Thanks CrossFit, for making burpees even worse ;)