CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Jacob Hughes

Profile:
Weight and Strength Gain

Hey All,
I'm sure this is something that has been discussed a ton on here but my internet connection where I live is crappy and surfing the forums is painful.

I have been crossfitting for about 8 months or so, and in this time while my deadlift, squat, and a few other moves have gotten much stronger, I noticed my bench (for example) has decreased, and recently I feel like things are leveling off. I also feel like my drive has decreased, as in about half way through a WOD I feel like I'm dead.

I have also had a hell of a time putting/keeping any weight on. I am about 160 lbs, 5' 11", and while I have always had a small frame, I feel like the way I eat I should be atleast 180.

My meals go something like:
Workout and protein shake.
Breakfast: 3-4 eggs, fruit.
Lunch: Sandwich and soup and some fruit
Dinner: Steak or chicken, salad, pasta depending on my mood.

When I type it out it looks so small, but compared to my friends it's a lot.

I have a fairly low carb diet, I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I would like to pack on 10-20 pounds of muscle, I know it seems like a lot, but it's kinda my goal.

If anyone can recommend different diets, post links to another forum, or even suggest a workout routine, I would be so grateful.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:
Re: Weight and Strength Gain

First of all, how many days a week do you work out? How old are you? I'm sure you are going to get an earful but I can tell you from what you posted you eat, that is NOT NEAR ENOUGH FOOD to (a) sustain energy / strength gains (b) to gain any weight. You need to use Fitday or something to log in your food and check out your caloric intake. I'm a 34 yr. old female and I do CrossFit/SealFit 4-5 days a week and I eat WAY more food than that!! I eat about 2300-2500 cals a day and that's with trying to lose a few pounds!

By not eating enough, you will not have the energy to complete your WODS and recover properly. You need to aim for 1 gram of protein per body weight and add veggies, fruits and nuts. Some people eat carbs in the form of bread (sandwich) and pasta and if that works for you, go for it. Just add more protein. You should add some snacks throughout the day also. Trail mix, hardboiled eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, milk. It will help keep up the energy and will give you the calories you need to.

I would check out CrossFit Football. Great program for gaining strength and weight. If you want to add muscle, you should focus on a strength program. You can still do 2-3 short and heavy metcons a week with a good strength program and make strength/weight gains. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Eat more.

Way more.

What Jessica said? I also eat more than you and i'm NOT doing Seal fit workouts. And I'm a girl. And I weigh the same as you, and you are 7 inches taller.

So I'll say it again, eat more.

Also, nutritionally, you'll get much better bang for your buck by swapping out the bread on your sandwich and the bowl of pasta at dinner for some starchy tubers and more meat and fat all around.

If I were you, I would add some veggies to breakfast. Probably keep it at 4 eggs, but don't forget that variety is a good thing too. Dinner leftovers (as in, meat/veg) make a great breakfast.

Lunch: Blech. Sandwiches? Waste of stomach space! Extra sandwich fillings. Big pile of greens and a sweet potato.

Dinner: Meat or fish, another big pile of greens, olive oil drizzled over said greens, and a plate of spaghetti squash/butternut squash/turnips/parsnips/acorn squash/potato, whatever your heart desires.

If your bench has decreased it's because you're not benching enough. Others are more qualified than I to push you in the right direction but I would say, add in some bench presses to your program. Or weighted pushups/dips. And explore CFFB or Starting Strength.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Michael Dries

Profile:

You want to pack on 10-20lbs?

Stop doing crossfit. google starting strength wiki and go from there.

I'd recommend 1g/lb of protein per day. Adjust this weekly as you start to gain weight.

Start eating 4000 calories a day and go from there. If you don't start gaining weight add 500 calories a day each week until the scale starts going up. You are really lean so the carb/fat ratio is up to you. Whatever is easier to get your calories in.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Hughes View Post
When I type it out it looks so small, but compared to my friends it's a lot.
Who cares what your friends eat? Unless they are your size and train like you do, it's completely irrelevant. I eat far more than my non-training female friends, and almost as much as many of my male friends.

I also eat more than you do, even though I'm 6" shorter, 35# lighter, and female.

Katherine
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Mike Laroche

Profile:

God I would wither and die on your diet. Eat man eat. Try this
breakfast: 3-4 eggs, toast or muffin, fruit or avocado, glass of milk
snack: banana
lunch: steak and vegetable stir fry, sweet potato, kefir or yogurt, glass of milk
snack: sardines in olive oil (my favorite)
dinner: some chunk of meat 8 or 10 oz, vegetables (onions, peppers, and kale are my favorites), brown rice, glass of milk

If you still can't gain get some more bread in there.

I know its not paleo. Oh well. I gave up trying to gain weight on strict paleo a while back. Its impossible for me. If you have an active occupation and are training on top of it and go mountain biking or hiking or cut trees or play soccer on weekends you are burning more calories than you can ingest strict paleo.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Mike Laroche

Profile:

oh yeah and do high rep squats. or low rep squats. Do squats.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Define "much stronger." What are your lifts now, and what were they when you started?

Please, dear god, eat more.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Jacob Hughes

Profile:

Wow, I appreciate all of the responses!

I'm 20 yrs old, and I follow the main site except for the weekends in terms of crossfit.

I really don't know what to say, but it looks like I need to eat a lot more. I think my main problem is eating on a budget. This morning the first thing I did was get a Fitday profile as suggested by Jessica, and it was a wake up call to see that after breakfast and lunch I'm only around 1000 calories.

I really appreciate all of the input everyone. I guess I just needed a kick in the ***.

Tamara, when I started crossfit I was a bit of a bro. I could deadlift right around 215 or so, and now I'm up at 315 after 6 or 7 months. My squat form wasn't regulation so I can't speak for that, if I had to guess maybe around 155 and now it's around 250. For a while I was seeing improvement as I said, but it started leveling off.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

Jacob,

Your eating way way too little. Here is a good read for you:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...46D9A-hf.hydra (wfs)

This helped me a lot. Si